The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is this a good Pre Amp for Hip Hop?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Is this a good Pre Amp for Hip Hop?

Hi guys i’m looking for a really good Pre Amp I can buy used under $1500 for my personal studio! I’m really interested in Purchasing the Universals Audio 610 - LA2A but i’ve heard that Tube Pre amps are not good for Hip Hop & Rap due to it not being clean & dark and that i should go for a solid state pre? Is this entirely true if so do you guys recommend any other Pre’s around that price range for really good modern rap & hip hop vocals, thank you guys!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

What microphone will you mainly be using for that purpose?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignFaraz View Post
Hi guys i’m looking for a really good Pre Amp I can buy used under $1500 for my personal studio! I’m really interested in Purchasing the Universals Audio 610 - LA2A but i’ve heard that Tube Pre amps are not good for Hip Hop & Rap due to it not being clean & dark and that i should go for a solid state pre? Is this entirely true if so do you guys recommend any other Pre’s around that price range for really good modern rap & hip hop vocals, thank you guys!
I'd say that any quality preamp will do well, it's then a matter of taste which one you'll prefer with your mic of choice for your purposes/vision.

I'd for sure check out the Avedis MA5 and a lunchbox of some sorts (you can find some also in the used market and will be below your budget )
with that setup (lunchbox 500 series system) you could expand with a compressor and/or eq of your choice when your budget allows. (or other needs arise).
This one of my fav preamps, especially for vocals.

The UA610 is for sure not so "modern" imho.. but it's not that you can't record rap vocals with it.

I'd also look at the Forssell SMP2 or SMP500 if a clean preamp is needed.

there are other great pieces around, look for a quality piece.. don't get cheap clones..it's not worthed in the medium/long run.

There's also tube units that are quite clean and will be perfectly at ease with more modern stuff (like you're doing)..
The tree audio Branch Mk2 is a complete channelstrip, it's more than your budget but you also have a nice eq built in, it sounds really great..

the pendulum quartet is another fantastic unit or anything tube or solid state that Crane Song /Dave Hill does.

Cheu
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat alley View Post
What microphone will you mainly be using for that purpose?
Neumann TLM 49!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignFaraz View Post
Neumann TLM 49!
Check D.A.V. electronics. They make great clean sounding preamps! You'd still have enough money left for a used Distressor.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

https://warmaudio.com/wa73/ pair it with a WA76 and a Shure SM7B and you are still withi the budget with great results
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandi View Post
https://warmaudio.com/wa73/ pair it with a WA76 and a Shure SM7B and you are still withi the budget with great results
Although I love 1073-style preamps, the OP mentioned he's looking for a clean-sounding preamp. I wouldn't recommend those to achieve a 'modern rap' vocal sound. My Heritage Audio 73JR works great for organic hip hop/jazz/soul, like August Greene and The Roots.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

It depends how you use it
Old 3 weeks ago
Any preamp is "good" for Hip-Hop if the Hip-Hop is good enough for the preamp
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandi View Post
It depends how you use it
Definitely! Still, a 1073-style preamp is not meant to be a clean-sounding preamp, regardless of how you use it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search