The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What drum machine do you guys use?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What drum machine do you guys use?

Been thinking of getting a drum machine. I can't really groove with the virtual ones, tried a good amount of them but i'm kinda old school and vibe more with hardware. I have a kaossilator which I like but it's obviously extremely limited with it's drum presets and options.

I prefer something that has a ton of 808 and 909 kicks to choose from. The more kick options the better. Obviously it'd be good to have some built in editing options but not totally necessary as I usually go back and use filters and whatnot after I lay down the drum line.

I hate how even a lot of the drum software doesn't have that many good kicks to choose from. Like there will be 2 or 3 "808 kick" types and that's it. Sure I can edit those but I want something that ranges from the heaviest, deepest ones to the lightest, and everything in between. Also needs to have a sequencer.

What do you guys use? What machines have the biggest variety of kicks in the 808/909 category?

I seen everybody always recommend NI maschine but does it have any legit 808/909s? I know it's got a massive library to choose from but I don't see anyone using it in hip hop production so I don't know...

I produce mostly r&b/hip hop/trap/dark moody vibe stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
A Novation Drumstation V2!
(If you don't need a sequencer in a drum-machine...)
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 9bf22ce
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I have a Roland TR-8 and really like it. But it has its limitations - which don't bother me because it's sometimes inspiring to deal with that.

If you want something more "allround" Look for the successor the TR-8 S.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't use it much currently, but my Command Station PX-7 was my go to for drums for a long time. I'm more into acoustic kits, so I can't comment on how much 808 & 909 samples were in it, but there were some.

I'm with PCP though. I use the MPC Live and would recommend that or similar. You can get 808 & 909 samples from any where. A bunch come with the Live actually.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Sorry for the delay! Just now getting a chance to read all the replies!

Yeah I was thinking about the TR-8, which I originally thought was like a reinvented TR-808 with everything the same except modernized. But then read about it and realized it...wasn't. What are the limitations or what does it lack sound-wise? I don't get why they didn't just make a modern version of 808. I guess because it can't live up to whatever expectations people might have but it probably could if they were to make it capable of fulfilling the vintage sound people want and the versatility we need by incorporating the technology and software we're using today.

I've seen a lot of experimental hip hop using the MPC so that was the first thing that came to mind but then after doing a bunch of searching online it seemed like everyone kept raving about maschine and I have to admit it comes with a lot of good extras for the price. Doesn't it come with the Komplete 12? Did you guys get any use out of the included software for editing/mixing or did you mostly just use it for the sounds and instruments?

It seems like every single person has one (maschine) and I don't ever hear anything bad about the damn thing lol so it's hard to resist. But I don't care as much about a controller as I do being able to vibe with something and have it flow. I get that it's a stellar go-to as far as controllers go, but sound-wise does it hold up to the same standards?

I used to have a sampler and never used it, but I saw the volca beats has pretty good reviews but something about hearing clicks and pops and weird audio hiss came up alot, which even with the kaossilator sometimes I can hear that weird click in the heavier bass and kicks.

Eh I wanna say something under $1000 would be cool. Man, some people try to hella budget and expect to get everything for nothing, but I know you can only get so much within certain $$ brackets, so i'm down to spend $1,000 for something that has a good variety of built in sounds and no huge flaws in the connections, it doesn't have to be god haha just something that i'm actually gonna use. Especially if i'm recording with it, it would be kinda irritating to have to edit the crap out of something I come up with on the fly if there are clicks or bizarre noises hidden in it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

behringer Made an analog clone of the old school 808...the rd8 for 350. it's not out yet but you can preorder
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yamaha DD 50 --MIDI connected to Kurzweil
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

IMO Maschine is excellent for this sort of thing. One great thing is that Maschine comes with lots of samples (including many that fall into the classic analog drum machine category) but it also comes with drum synths that sound very good, which is helpful if you need to dial in the exact sound you want rather than messing with samples. You may want to listen to some demos of Maschine's drum synths to see if they have the sound you're looking for.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mpc 5000
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Take a look at the Elektron Analog Rytm version 1 used between $700-$800.
Digitally controlled analog drum synth/sequencer.

DSI tempest also comes to mind but pretty pricey.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For that budget, don't get one drum machine, get two! I do this on the cheap with a Volca Sample and a DR-770. Whatever their individual limitations, the distinct sonics of 2 different boxes doing drums gives you a bigger soundstage from the start.

Massive sound libraries are great and all that but imho hip hop is not about the 32 gig Hans Zimmer tambourine library, it's about getting one 512k sample out of it that tickles your ear and rinsing it to death.

The new Blackbox sampler looks cool.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
After all these years the Rolland R-8M with a bunch of cards is still my favorite.
It hits really hard. I've tried to sample it but it is not the same, I can't explain why.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Dope, thanks guys. These are all good suggestions. I'm gonna youtube some demos of the ones mentioned and see what i'm drawn to.

I checked out the ultranova forever ago when it first hyped and I didn't think the bass was that great...I might just be too picky. I don't mind creating kicks from scratch on a synth but I haven't come across any synth that I really liked for specifically doing this...at least under $1000.
Old 2 weeks ago
MPC. That way, I use whatever the hell I want for drum sounds heh.
Old 2 weeks ago
I have a TR8S, so I'd recommend that or an mpc if youre making hiphop beats. A regular TR8 is too limiting when making hip hop these days, you can just add whatever samples you want to A TR8S or MPC plus the 8s will have good 808/909 sounds on it.
Old 1 week ago
I use 2 drum machines and love them both. I use a MPC2000 for sampled drums (also the brain of all my midi gear) and I use an Arturia Drumbrute for analog drums. The MPC is a legend and I will never replace it, the Drumbrute is extremely nice, but the Kick drums are underwhelming. K1 is supposed to be a 909 style kick, and it is pretty good, but the K2 (808 style) is really weak without help. I uploaded a couple pics and a video containing the MPC in action. I sayi that the MPC2000 is my favorite drum machine honestly.

[Mod delete]
Attached Thumbnails
What drum machine do you guys use?-20190904_033259.jpg   What drum machine do you guys use?-20190904_033231.jpg  

Last edited by Bender412; 1 week ago at 05:02 PM.. Reason: See forum rules
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
MPC. That way, I use whatever the hell I want for drum sounds heh.
100% agree. Also, if you have an old MPC, drums just magically sound better when sampled into it. I feel like I can take mediocre drum samples from loopmasters or whatever and sample them into my MPC and they gain an amount of "punchiness" that pushes them through the mix.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Check out the new Roland MC-707
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickDrum View Post
Check out the new Roland MC-707
That looks sick!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Thenatan has a big sale at the moment. They have some plugins that might be interesting:

https://www.thenatan.store/vst/

Try the free X-EIGHT (X-8) Lite:

https://www.thenatan.store/p/Mvej/

All you need is a VST host with a built-in sequencer to run these plugins. Could be a DAW, could be Maschine, could be MPC software, etc. So many options...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search