The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Listen to/monitor my auto-tuned vocals in real time?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Listen to/monitor my auto-tuned vocals in real time?

I am having a problem in Ableton Live 10.1 and it's driving me nuts.

I usually apply some slight auto-tuning to my vocals after I have recorded my vocal tracks.

But now I am trying to experiment with some trap-style auto-tuned vocals and for this use I want to be able to hear the effect "live" while I am singing into the mic.

My problem is, that while the VST GUIs are reacting to my voice (visibly correcting notes in real-time) the sound I'm hearing does not reflect this - I just get my dry vocal signal.

In other words I want to sing into the mic and be able to hear the auto-tune effect in my headphones while I'm recording/singing as opposed to afterwards. For some reason, I cannot figure out how to do this.

I realize there will be some latency, but right now I would give my right arm to have latency issues instead of having the issue of the effect just not being applied.

I have tried using both my Antares Auto-Tune and my Waves Tune Real-Time plugins, but none of them are applying the pitch-correcting effect in real-time.

If I put any other effect, such as a delay or reverb on the audio track, then I hear the wet effect live in real-time in my headphones.

Also, if I record a short vocal clip and play it back, then the auto-tune effect is applied.

My setup/routing is:

Mic -> Scarlett 2i2 RCA input -> Ableton Live 10.1 audio track -> Scarlett 2i2 output -> Studio monitors/headphones.

I don't have direct monitoring enabled on my audio device.

I realize I'm either overlooking something really simple or I'm not understanding what these devices can do in real-time.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm not seeing here?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search