The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Drake “Headlines” EQ
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

Drake “Headlines” EQ

Before I even start...I do understand that the only thing that stays the same is that everything changes. EQ settings will vary extremely from track to track. I am simply trying to understand the thought process behind it.

Reading the sound on sound article regarding this mix with Noah 40 Shebib, he mentions throwing this RE6, amongst other things on the vocal. He mentioned he recorded him through either a u87 or C800G. To me this looks like some drastic EQing. I figure you would only need this type of aggressiveness if you had a garbage recording, which obviously isn’t the case here. I can assume part of the top end EQ is due to 40 wanting to have little bottom end in the mix itself so that the vocals would pop out on the radio. However, I guess my question is, is this drastic EQing quite common for you experienced engineers on vocals? If so, do you mind explaining the thought behind feeling the need to essentially boost the entire spectrum?

Thanks in advance guys..
Attached Thumbnails
Drake “Headlines” EQ-a7322f80-7c76-4685-bf4d-5d04f8213303.jpeg  
Old 17th August 2019
Lives for gear
I would not call that overly extreme. People on the internet yap all the time about getting the perfect mic and and everything and needing next to no EQ. Then you make a living making records and you realize it doesn't usually work that way for most popular genres.

As for boosting almost everything... I dunno. Sometimes cutting out the bad stuff is not the same as boosting the stuff you want. It's not a direct inverse relationship at all.
Old 17th August 2019
Here for the gear

That makes sense, I guess I was just assuming that with a $20,000 vocal chain you could get PRETTY much where you wanted to be. Though I don’t have much experience with those chains YET. The overall direction and tone of the song plays a massive role obviously. I guess it’s kind of a stupid question. A question none the less.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Nut

I do not consider that drastic at all.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

That's not at all drastic EQ, as far as your question about boosting, when he's making the vocal cut through the mix he's grabbing at spots and likes what he's hearing and finding new spots to do the same, sometimes essentially just adding gain but what difference does it make if it sounds right?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search