The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sound Source To Pair With MPC Live
Old 3rd August 2019
Gear Maniac

Sound Source To Pair With MPC Live

I'm getting back into making beats and it's literally been years. I've got Maschine Studio and Komplete that have been just sitting. I'm looking to move to an MPC Live. I do a lot of sampling but I am looking to add realistic instrument sounds with it. I know I can use VSTs with it but I'm hoping to mainly use it in standalone mode. Brass, strings, bass, pianos, EPs, etc. Years ago I was familiar with the Motif, Fantom, Triton, and before that the JV, XVs, etc. I honestly don't even know what is out or is any good at this point. It seems like everything has moved more towards software. Are there any realistic sounding hardware units left that are new or just older stuff? Any recommendations?

Also, what kinds of instrument sounds does the Live have in standalone mode? I read there was a bass, EP and maybe some other plugin that can run fully in standalone mode. Anything else the MPC comes with? I want a wide range of realistic sounds like software or keyboard workstations but don't have the space for a big keyboard.
Old 4th August 2019
Lives for gear

All of the most realistic acoustic/electro-acoustic instrument sample libraries exist in Kontakt format. If you're hoping for anything not remotely cheesy and obviously fake, I don't think the MPC route is the best one. Beyond that, the pad interface is genuinely not conducive to the kinds of intricate articulation required to actually play a realistic sample library.

The MPC excels when it comes to chopping and arranging samples from real instruments from real recordings of them, so if that's not your thing, I'd look elsewhere.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Addict

the mpc live has 3 stand alone synths and a ton of standalone effects plugins. you can use all expansions in stand alone. akai’s expansions, from what I heard are pretty electronic. I don’t know too much about them. mpc-samples has realistic expansions...off the top of my head tons of drums, an electric piano pack, analog piano pack, electric bass (which I have and it sounds great), organs, some orchestral **** and other stuff I’m probably forgetting. plus it records audio directly if you already have real instruments. you’ll be fine for what you want. gotta say tho, having both maschine studio and mpc live is super redundant outside of the totally standalone situation. when I learned my live I ended up giving the maschine studio to my son
Old 8th August 2019
Theres all kinds of expansions for it. Akai does have a bunch of electronic ones but they've also got a lot of others as well. Seems theyre all geared towards hip-hop or some sort of dance genres though. Expansions aren't all there is though, Im using my entire sample library with it just fine. Ive got whatever instruments and noises I want available. The only thing holding it back is me and my imagination pretty much. Load up a sample, edit it how you want, takes like 2 minutes and you've got a keygroup or drum program ready to go.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannas View Post
I'm getting back into making beats and it's literally been years. I've got Maschine Studio and Komplete that have been just sitting. I'm looking to move to an MPC Live. I do a lot of sampling but I am looking to add realistic instrument sounds with it. I know I can use VSTs with it but I'm hoping to mainly use it in standalone mode. Brass, strings, bass, pianos, EPs, etc. Years ago I was familiar with the Motif, Fantom, Triton, and before that the JV, XVs, etc. I honestly don't even know what is out or is any good at this point. It seems like everything has moved more towards software. Are there any realistic sounding hardware units left that are new or just older stuff? Any recommendations?

Also, what kinds of instrument sounds does the Live have in standalone mode? I read there was a bass, EP and maybe some other plugin that can run fully in standalone mode. Anything else the MPC comes with? I want a wide range of realistic sounds like software or keyboard workstations but don't have the space for a big keyboard.
You should definitely look into the Yamaha MX49. It has dope acoustic instrument sounds (piano, electric keyboard, organs, strings, brass, upright bass, etc).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I use a Modx and it’s excellent for this. I do not like using plugins, it slows down my personal workflow, and the sounds are good enough quality samples to do just fine. You aren’t scoring a movie or a video game, no need for a 10 gig piano or 50 gig string library. Synth wise, moog grandmother, virus ti, deepmind 12, dreadbox nyx, and in November the new hydrasynth. Everything within arms reach and never have to take my hands off a knob or pad, or in modx case the touchscreen. I use Ableton and Push but I don’t look at the computer until I arrange.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search