The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Trackouts
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Trackouts

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to work out how best to do track-outs (individual stems) of some beats I'm going to be selling online.

I can't decide if dry or wet is better. In my mind it kind of depends how much control the artist wants in mixdown or if they want it to be a quick and easy job. Should I do both?

I also can't work out if the kick and bass should be in stereo or mono?

Has anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks

J
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
http://vonpimpenstein.com/studio_mixguidelines.htm

Everything you need to know is in the above link.

I find that most beats come in with EVERYTHING printed. This tends to create problems when it comes to reverb and delay, and like most mix engineers, I just deal with it. You learn workarounds that aren't ideal, but they work because you have no choice. Sometimes I'm able to go back to the producer and get a dry version of something if it's royally screwing stuff up. As a general rule of thumb, I think everything is discretionary on the part of the beatmaker EXCEPT reverb and delay. NEVER print those. If you like the reverb and delay you used, print the sound without it and then print a separate track that is only the reverb or delay return. That way at least I can blend it to the right level. The really good producers I mix either leave reverb and delay off entirely (I rely on their rough mix to know what they want), or the print the wet on a separate track. The really good ones also include a text type of file in the folder with all their contact info.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search