The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
This is Why We Don't Understand Proximity Effect
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

This is Why We Don't Understand Proximity Effect

Talking mainly to people who record themselves.

I been recording myself for about 5 years and just last week realized proximity effect was the true hindrance to my vocal recordings.

Look how close Logic is to the microphone:

Personally, I always saw these videos and figured they're the proper distance away. DESPITE reading keeping away anywhere from 6-12 inches is good technique. He's eating that microphone. I never knew what 6 inches from the microphone really looked or felt like.

I know Logic also used dynamic microphones in the past, but this looks like a condenser. There's also important to understand.

As an artist recording yourself, you are so focused on the performance that other things fall by the waist side. My solution was getting a tape measure and making sure my pop filter was 7 inches from the microphone and it's made everything a billion percent easier in the mix.

Also, what headphones is he using?
Old 2 weeks ago
You would be surprised to find out that in a lot of those kind of videos, they are lip-sinking and not really recording a real take. Most are not real. Do not rely on those videos to decide on your mic placement to your mouth

When deciding on how close your mouth needs to be to the mic, do not rely on videos of other people, with different voices, using different mics, different pre-amps, different pre-amp settings, different rooms, different gain stages and signal chains.

Use the distance form sound source to mic that sounds best for your voice, your room and fits the song you are working on currently.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The other thing is, really experienced vocalist know precisely how to "work" the mic—if you watch live performances of any vocal greats, you'll see them pull closer in for intimate, breathy portions, and back WAY out for the loudest passages. Mic technique like this is a micro-artform unto itself and simply occurs with experience.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Do what works. That said, for hip-hop, most pop, etc. I'm usually micing an artist around 4" from the grill of the mic (probably 5" from the actual diaphragm inside). It's not an issue. Proximity effect never causes problems for me.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
the headphones look like Sony MDR-v6 maybe. As for proximity, it's all relative to the image you're trying to capture. Be closer for a more pronounced, clearer take but consider the gain levels so ur input isn't ever clipping. Some people record farther from the mic because they want more sound around their words to create a more background or airy sound. As long as your signal is within -6 or -12 dB, the proximity is a balance.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
Do what works.
Precisely.

Heavy proximity effect works well for some voices that would otherwise sound a bit too "light weight" for a particular vocal performance.

Develop your own tastes; improve your room acoustics and monitoring, then use your own ears and trust your instincts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search