The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Maschine vs MPC Studio Black vs MPC Live
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Maschine vs MPC Studio Black vs MPC Live

So I've been out of working with production for a handful of years. We had kids and things have been collecting dust. I used a lot of standalone options before. I also got Maschine Studio and loved the workflow and integration. My biggest problem now is space. I don't have the space I previously did. I am looking at getting back into things but need something that is manageable. I've looked at the smaller versions of Maschine as well as the MPC Studio Black and the Live. I really like that the Live can integrate with software or just be standalone. I would prefer that if possible. I don't like staring at the computer but sometimes want the integration of VSTs. What would you recommend and what options have I left out? Have I missed any other standalone options?
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Basically, any of those are pretty much similar in size. I'd choose whatever option allows the greatest flexibility in terms of seamless DAW/software integration. Personally, I think that would entail a newer Maschine, but I honestly have no experience with either; only feedback from other musician friends. The only other stand-alone options would likely be the Toriaz SP-16/Squid.
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Addict
Being you loved the workflow of Maschine previously I would think the new Mk3 would be your best bet. It's not standalone but you don't need to look at a computer to use it.

Personally, I own Maschine Mikro Mk2, an MPC1000 and just recently picked up an MPC Studio black and all have pros and cons. I like the pad sensitivity and sounds of the Maschine and would like to have/try the full size Mk3. For whatever reason though I've never gelled with the Maschine sequencer and workflow personally despite having many years MPC and DAW experience from several manufacturers. It just doesn't click with me naturally and I've been trying for a few years and it also doesn't integrate well with Studio One. Ashame bc I think the pads and sounds+expansions are wonderful.

Haven't had much time to experience the MPC Studio but so far it's been a decent experience. As good as MPC 2.5 software is I don't think it'll replace Studio one for me. The pads are good but not as good as the 1000s though I like the efficiency of a hybrid unit. I picked it up cheap used so if it doesn't work out I won't lose much but so far it's going in the right direction as I learn my way around. I don't think it's as easy to browse sounds as Maschine but like the sequencer much more.

The MPC 1000 is my favorite overall. It's dead simple to use, has Rock solid timing and works well with hardware/Synths.

All are good choices. I'd like to try a Live (or Touch) as I've heard many good things but hard to justify $1000 on something like that considering what I have already. If I was starting from scratch I think I'd get a Maschine Mk3 and my MPC 1000. Maybe the Live is the best of both worlds, maybe not.
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

Why not get a used maschine mk1 or mk2 controller?.. that's like $150+

I would double check exactly how controller centric the studio black is..as in my case I found the ren has workflow issues that require software/mouse usage however it's (studio black) a fair price ... same as a used mk3 controller

Used mpc?

Live a good choice, just $$
Old 4 weeks ago
Well he's already got it, so he's stuck with the workflow the Studio provides already hehe.

I have a Studio been using almost non stop since I got it in May, haven't even opened Logic Pro since aside from setting up a couple sessions to mix bounced stems of finished projects out of the MPC. Its my first MPC and after 20 something years of Logic use, it made me say 'WHY DIDNT I JUST GET ONE OF THESE IN 2000??'. I think if you dig the 1000, you'll love what the Studio brings to it (no more ATA hard drives only, or limited CF cards). Never used Maschine so no clue how different the workflow is, the MPC was just made to open it up and get to it though. Its still an 'in progress' thing, as right now its pretty much at the level the MPC5000 was feature wise, but they're making lots of improvements with every update. If you head to the giant Mpc Live thread here, the product manager is actually in the mix talking to us about it. I think its only going to get better, and it sold me, Im getting a Live as soon as I can afford it and shifting the center of my studio from Logic to that I think. Logic is just going to be a tape deck to mix and add VI's and whatnot that need to be 'linear' and not stuck in a sequencer pattern. Ive been more productive with the thing in the 2 months Ive had it than the last 3 or 4 years with Logic heh. Even made me organize the mess of a sample library I had all these years!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I would like to give the perspective of a busy professional who started with Maschine and tries to be a father......occasionally. I appreciate Maschine for what it is and how initially it was user friendly. I upgraded to a Maschine Studio and then NI started messing with the workflow and I also begin traveling as part of my job. I didn't like the iMaschine app so I started looking at the MPC Live sometime after it was announced. I visited the MPC forums to get some feedback from former Maschine users who switched over to MPC. I purchased a MPC Live on a trial basis to see if I would like it and it was instantly inspiring. The workflow was actually better than Maschine IMO and I loved taking it on trips. I never did so much sampling before in my life. So why am I talking in the past tense? I made the dumbest mistake of my life and sold my MPC Live to buy an Akai Force which is a useless hunk of junk. I'm debating on if I should buy another MPC Live or go for the MPC X to eliminate the number of times that you have to use the shift button.
Old 4 weeks ago
Ooooo ouch now that I can feel your pain haha.. The Force is definitely a 'thing' but Akai seems pretty committed to making it work and delivering on it slowly, but surely. Theyre being a hell of a lot more communicative and open than the old Akai at least. If you have the patience Im sure its gonna be killer, ONE DAY. The new firmware update also dropped for the whole series today too so you might wanna give that a shot. The MPC does seem alot farther along, but its an MPC, they had plenty to go off of with that. The Force was a ground up brand new idea that probably needed a little more R&D before unleashing to the public as it was.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Do you not have room for the Maschine Studio any more?

If not, like bruceferraudi said, despite not being stand alone, you can do almost everything on the MK3 itself. And it would work best with the NI VSTs you already have.

I have the MPC Live and dig it. The recent 2.6 update addressed some stand alone issues/features folks have been waiting for. Akai seems to be very aggressive with the updates too. It's an exceptional stand alone piece with software that allows you to use VSTs as well. Best of both worlds IMO.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thank you to everyone who has replied. Sorry to disappear for a bit. We had a family emergency. I appreciate all the feedback and commentary for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
Do you not have room for the Maschine Studio any more?
That's my biggest thing is space. I don't even have room to put a desk anymore so literary everything is kept put up and then taken out when I can either on the bed, the couch, etc. With a laptop and the Kontrol A25 keyboard I just bought to downsize it becomes a lot then throw in the Maschine or MPC and it gets to be a lot. I pulled back out the Studio and messed around the other night and I like it but it's just too big for me right now. My thought is the Live will give me the ability to work standalone or if I want to use the VSTs or laptop I can. I also get distracted on the laptop. That's why I originally went to the Studio because nearly everything can be done from the controller. With kids my time is much more limited so I have to get in and get to work and maximize my time. If space wasn't an issue I would probably keep the Studio just because resale value went down.

Ultimately I think the Live is the way for me to go. I've got a bunch of gear I'm trying to sell off to hopefully chip away at it and bring the price down.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Good luck. Balancing beats and babies is hard.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Dude, unless you're living in a homeless shelter, there has got to be room somewhere for a Maschine (and even a Maschine Jam to go with it, which is rad). SERIOUSLY. You might be tripping out and overthinking **** just to rationalize things. Even someone living in a largeish cardboard box has space for a Maschine (and maschine jam, etc.). So what's the real issue? I mean we're literally talking about less than one cubic foot of space for both combined. Space for these devices isn't a serious issue, so what actually is?

Last edited by atma; 2 weeks ago at 08:47 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Another father with no space and less time here. Came back to producing after our daughter was born. Bought Maschine, switched to Maschine Studio, but missed the old hardware feeling and sampling sounds.
So I bought some Roland Boutiques and the MPC Live and never looked back.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I kind of know how the OP feels. I had a MK1 Mikro and loved the form factor but wanted more knobs, so I upgraded to the Studio. But even though I had enough space for it, I just thought it was oversized. So I sold it it and bought a MK2 which also has the advantage of not needing a power supply. It's a nice size.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search