All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Boom Bap / LoFi Plugins?
Old 18th July 2019
Deleted ea69e11
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
It’s not “evolution”. Boom-Bap is mostly about a sound, not about features of the tools to make it.

ITB can’t recreate Boom-Bap, and just using records and the samplers of old would not be enough.
So basically you're saying that you don't think music technology has evolved and progressed in the past 30 years. That's blatantly false.

If it's about "a sound" and not the features of the tools used to create it, then you're essentially contradicting yourself.

You're also basically arguing that every hip-hop artist in the world that makes 90's era styled music on a computer is illegitimate. That's a completely absurd and naive black and white viewpoint—there's literally absolutely no way you'd be able to discern the difference without knowing beforehand what anyone was using. I.e., if you were given a blind test with a selection of songs where some were hardware and some were software (both in the same style and both from equally skilled artists), there's no way anyone would be able to tell.

Simply because your personal experience has been that you can't recreate that sound ITB doesn't mean everyone else in the world cannot, either.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
Yes, I’m saying that. I’m also including users of non-Roger Linn MPCs.
You mean like Pete Rock using the 2kxl?
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

So your own hip-hop productions, having been made with strictly Roger Linn MPCs and analog gear are more legitimate than Pete Rock and DJ Premier's work which didn't utilize a Roger Linn MPC. That's what you're implying, here.

That very much comes off more like a viewpoint rooted in a stereotypically narcissistic personality trait than anything even remotely logical. It's exactly the same mentality "flat-earthers" employ, and "crank" would be the technical term for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank_(person)

I also don't think that your advice here has been even remotely useful for anyone, despite that you ostensibly believe that anyone who might question your extremist viewpoint doesn't have the arcane experience level that you believe yourself to possess, and therefore any argument against you is somehow defunct. But that, in itself, is again another prime indicator of textbook narcissistic personality disorder and is also likely to be the most damning evidence against you as being in any way a legitimate person to take advice from.

All that being said, I'm not interested in personally attacking you (despite that it may come off that way), and I understand everyone is entitled to their beliefs. But I also understand there's no point in trying to have even a remotely rational debate with a "true-believer".

You're blocked now, based upon your ignorant prejudice and egomaniacal nonsense.

Oh, and by the way, I'd have loved to have heard all of the tracks you've made which were so much more legitimately "boom-bap" than Pete Rock or DJ Premier. It's just, I honestly don't give a ****, 'cause you're so full of **** (and yourself) that it's not even meaningful or relevant.

peace.

Last edited by atma; 4 weeks ago at 08:43 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

No rules. Do you
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Using lofi old tech techniques always work when tweaked. A/B the break or sound - with a simple sample and soft synth like mini moog (really just takes 2 oscillators). Carefully micing a snare or kick in hallways or closets or bathrooms can yueld excellent results. You can find lofi ways of smearing them a bit - by over processing or running though a tape machine (even a decent cassette deck) I enjoy finding other ways of re-creation. Yea there are no rules. I like to stay away from modern standard plug ins though. Harrison Mixbus has algorithms that try to recreate old tube studios,,. like Abbey Road. Running even through an 'art tube' cam do wonders.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post
Thanks, man.

Did the Mackie board add any color/saturation or was it more of a degrading effect if any at all ?

Im not looking for a one stop solution but a few helpful tools to get closer to that classic boom bap sound. Im aware that sound selection, groove and such are a lot more important.

What are some consoles/ boards that were popular in 90s hip hop?
I read about Neve being used a lot besides SSLs. But probably a big budget thing like you said.

Does it make sense to grab sth like this on Black Friday? (Waves SSL emu):
https://m.thomannmusic.com/waves_ssl...rch=1562156529

If you know any tricks/techniques of 90s hip hop production and mixing let me know. Very eager to learn from everybody.

Sorta off topic: Was side chaining (the kick) a thing in the 90s? Were consoles even capable to do that?
I never sidechain because my DAW doesnt have any options for that but Im curious when this technique emerged.

Mackie boards definitely did add color but I would rather use software over emulating a Mackie.

They were fairly cheap boards. Most projects studios used a Mackie.

I used a Mackie but first time i heard a Pro Tools mix i was blown away from the cleanliness of it. I think alot of Master P albums were done with Mackies and Adats. Great engineers could do amazing things with them but I wouldn't want to go back. Used properly though they could add a certain level of punch but you probably could get more tailored results with saturation plugins.
Old 4 weeks ago
I have been on a boom bap kick lately. I’ve most of the hardware from the era, but the only piece I consistently use is the sp1200. I don’t really even sequence with it, it’s just an efx unit. Sometimes I do force myself to build a track with 10 seconds of sample time or at least build a skeleton to flesh out, but my sp-16 is just too good to leave out of the equation. The rest is done I Logic with UAD and a handful of other plugins. What I will say is don’t look for specific plug-ins, just about any DAW has what you need to get the sound. Just spend time to learn them. Case in point-

When I started making music back in 97, I was anti hardware and tried to be 100% ITB. When FL 3 was released in 1999? I had a huge creative streak and made everything from clean pop to dirty grime NY hip hop with it. I sampled from lp into sound forge and then brought that into fruity loops to sequence. IMO fl 3 was a convincing Akai s900 emulator. The only thing I regret about that time was not buying the classic gear when it was cheap. I’m pretty sure that being a broke college student is the main reason I was so anti hardware.

Now that I’m way too old to be making beats and have a job and kids to tend to, I don’t have the time I did 20 years ago so I bought the gear that has the sound by default.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

D16 is having a summer sale, so if you want Decimort for a nice price, now is the time.

https://d16.pl/decimort2

Coupon code: SUMMER2019
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
I have been on a boom bap kick lately. I’ve most of the hardware from the era, but the only piece I consistently use is the sp1200. I don’t really even sequence with it, it’s just an efx unit. Sometimes I do force myself to build a track with 10 seconds of sample time or at least build a skeleton to flesh out, but my sp-16 is just too good to leave out of the equation. The rest is done I Logic with UAD and a handful of other plugins. What I will say is don’t look for specific plug-ins, just about any DAW has what you need to get the sound. Just spend time to learn them. Case in point-

When I started making music back in 97, I was anti hardware and tried to be 100% ITB. When FL 3 was released in 1999? I had a huge creative streak and made everything from clean pop to dirty grime NY hip hop with it. I sampled from lp into sound forge and then brought that into fruity loops to sequence. IMO fl 3 was a convincing Akai s900 emulator. The only thing I regret about that time was not buying the classic gear when it was cheap. I’m pretty sure that being a broke college student is the main reason I was so anti hardware.

Now that I’m way too old to be making beats and have a job and kids to tend to, I don’t have the time I did 20 years ago so I bought the gear that has the sound by default.
SP1200 - one nice piece - I enjoy those sound much!
Old 4 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post

Spending thousands of dollars on gear one has no time to play with sounds well extravagant.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Spending thousands of dollars on gear one has no time to play with sounds well extravagant.
I agree. Luckily I have *some* time, but if you could tell my wife to take on more of the home and child rearing duties I would make you a beat with it. As for work, I guess I could reduce my hours so I could spend more time with my gear, but how do you think I was able to afford it in the first place?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For a genre built on working with what you have, funny to see some act a way when you don't have what they have. But I guess it's always been that way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
For a genre built on working with what you have, funny to see some act a way when you don't have what they have. But I guess it's always been that way.
Use what ya got... simple and so true,
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
Really? I'm not sure that's true. What about RX950? Or even the older NI emulations of the SP1200/MPC60, or the TAL emulations (Emu II, AM6070, S1000, Sample Hold, Linear, Clean)?
Not nearly as powerful as vulf, IMO. And I'd also look at the brainworx SSL E channel. Its the best SSL emulation channel strip bar none, far better than waves and edges out uad.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuz2019 View Post
To create the studio sound you might want to give the channel, console and tape plugins of Airwindows and Hornet Plugins a try. Also the RM-2 channel plugin by Audio Assault.
The RM-2 is on sale now for only 5 USD.

https://www.audio-assault.com/rm2.ph...eid=00ae5174a6
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Sketch Cassette by Aberrant DSP has been a really useful "lofi" tool for me lately.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Klevgrand "Daw Cassette" is actually pretty phenomenal for $24. It's actually pretty fooking realistic to my ears (having grown up in the cassette era).

https://klevgrand.se/products/dawcassette

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search