The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Akai S950 Sampling issue?
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Akai S950 Sampling issue?

I just picked up a new S950 and am having some trouble figuring out actually recording my own samples. Got everything set up OK I think. I get to the point where I get to set my audio threshold, I can see my instrument registration beyond that, then hit enter to begin recording, I pierce the threshold and it starts recording, ends, and then kicks me back out to the screen where it asks me how do I want to start my recording. What am I doing wrong? Did I actually record something and it’s acting like I want to record more, did I not record anything at all?

Thank you for your help and expertise!
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Head
You are probably doing at least some of it right, did you add it to a program?
I think you should follow the manual step by step, its not obvious the first time you use this machine...

http://manuals.fdiskc.com/flat/Akai%...s%20Manual.pdf
Old 29th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tame1 View Post
You are probably doing at least some of it right, did you add it to a program?
I think you should follow the manual step by step, its not obvious the first time you use this machine...

http://manuals.fdiskc.com/flat/Akai%...s%20Manual.pdf
Slowly starting to figure it out. Found I did save a sample, now I have to figure out how to do everything else. Assuming I figure out everything else, will I one day be able to hit the PLAY button and select something other than the TONE PRGRM? Right now to access my sample and play it I have to go to the edit sample page.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Head
You have the sampler connected via midi to a Computer DAW, midi keyboard or Pad sampler (MPC) right? You want a way to trigger the different samples after you assign them to keygroup's/programs.
If not and you want to playback the sample you just recorded then, click to the next page after recording and hit ENT, that will play it back.

This isnt a all in one performance box like the MPC, its designed to be triggered by another device.

Load samples -> edit samples -> Apply "THAT" filter -> Trigger the various samples via midi.

There is a very basic step by step on page 61 (73 of the pdf) of the manual, but you really do need to read the manual if you ever want to be able to use this sampler (its worth it)
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

Once you initially record a sample, can't you just use the "ENT/PLAY" button to listen to it? I think that's how my S1000 works; that way you can preview what you've just recorded (usually to check if the "REC LEVEL" is set too high and you have more saturation that you intended).
Old 28th August 2019
Here for the gear

Akai S950 sampling issues

Wondering if you can help me out. I am able to hear music when i sample into the main line input of the 950. For whatever reason the 950 is not registering the audio as coming in. It shows no signal audio but I can hear the audio playing. Also, I can sample through the mic input channel but not able to hear the audio through that channel. But that channel does register the audio and I am able to play back the sample but not actually hear it while it plays and samples through the mic line. I want to obviously sample through the main input line so its killing me its not registering the audio coming but I can hear it play. Im new to this machine. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloney2112 View Post
Wondering if you can help me out. I am able to hear music when i sample into the main line input of the 950. For whatever reason the 950 is not registering the audio as coming in. It shows no signal audio but I can hear the audio playing. Also, I can sample through the mic input channel but not able to hear the audio through that channel. But that channel does register the audio and I am able to play back the sample but not actually hear it while it plays and samples through the mic line. I want to obviously sample through the main input line so its killing me its not registering the audio coming but I can hear it play. Im new to this machine. Any help would be appreciated.
Sounds odd. Did you follow step by step the instruction manual? This machine is really non-intuitive until you get used to it.
Old 3rd September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tame1 View Post
Sounds odd. Did you follow step by step the instruction manual? This machine is really non-intuitive until you get used to it.
This machine is super easy to use so It wasn't an issue of me not being able to use the machine. I actually ended up swapping the two small boards under the main board. They were loose and connected o the wrong sections. This solved the problem but in the process I popped out the main ribbon to the hard drive and the hard drive doesn't work now. I think the ribbon is bad so I ordered a new ribbon hoping that will now fix that issue. I have to troubleshoot it once I get the new ribbon.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search