The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Coincidence? Probably but
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Coincidence? Probably but

I can't help but feel like one of my threads on Gearslutz from last August directly influenced this collaboration, I'll explain in a second, although it could be that it was so blatantly obvious that countless people think or thought the same thing and the collab was unavoidable. What really makes me think that my thread had some influence was the very thing I was trashing being the mix-down/master/level of a certain song was addressed and completely through the roof after the collab with this artist that my original thread was about.

On a side note I just want to say that everything I'm stating is my opinion, and countless people feel differently, especially people in the industry who mix and master professionally. It seems loudness is a dirty word, even people who I've been learning from who are amazing mixing/mastering engineers and aim for some of the same results as me seem to excuse/apologize/disclaimer methods/techniques that are on the "WRONG SIDE OF THE LOUDNESS WARS", as if saying that makes it ok as long as you say its bad it shows how you truly get it. Look, I don't think just being Loud is a good thing, stable/clean/punchy/space/width/with peaks and lows/and all around fullness play hand and hand, that's a long ass side note haha so let me get to it

Last year I had been really taken back by Gramatiks newer mix downs and masters, they really were straight up on some WOWness war levels but just all around stable. Not just loud and for example if you listen to Bassnectar, although he is loud, I have never been impressed by any of his mix-downs or masters, they feel lifeless to me, again my opinion, but it seems Gramatik and skrillex and a few others have a special touch in their mixes and masters that just bring them to life. Gramatik especially as the the song the thread was about "Satoshi Nakamoto" is a hip-hop track and the vocals and everything just so spot on and stable across all system with amazing depth and punch, been a reference track (along with countless other songs) for my mixing and mastering and up until about a week ago would always fall short, but after grinding many nights, courses, tutorials, consultations from like minded pro's it seems I'm right there, anyways heres what this threads about

Last year in my Gramatik thread, heres a link to the thread

Gramatiks mixdowns and masters are second to none

I made a comment about a Tom Morello song with Bassnectar, big boi and killer mike, here's the quote, I believe its 2/3 of the way down on the first page

"Maybe it’s something personal inside me that takes the low level thing so seriously.

Like when I hear Tom morello and bass nectar throw that hot steaming trash of a mixdown from the song rabbits revenge out there for consumption, or same with the new twenty one pilots tracks, dude these can’t be the official releases?" - Me

If you listen to the song Rabbits revenge(and all of Atlas underground) its really low and doesn't even sound mastered, not sure how Bassnectar putt his name on that one but maybe he just doesn't care as much as far as mix downs and master are concerned when being featured, even if it was mixed and mastered by someone else you gotta have some standard, I encourage everyone to go listen to the song where its played at the real level and not on youtube for example and I'm not speaking of the the actual music as far as notes/lyrics/melody and what not, but the mix-down master/vocal recordings and loudness. Look I'm an artist/rapper/producer first and foremost and thats where my passion is, mixing and mastering is a necessity that has become a passion as well, and I get it most people could care less about loudness, same here as far as JUST loudness, but loudness + all around amazingness is the standard nowadays for me, and thats what were talking about here, aside from the actual notes and music just to make things clear. Although doing both is the reality and cats like Gramatik and skrillex do it second to none, when reading interviews from both of them with Izotope you see that it's doable mostly if not completely ITB

So this bring us to last week when I noticed Tom morello has a new track called can't stop the bleeding feat Gary clark jr and none other than GRAMATIK! coincidence? maybe, but what if the track sounds completely weak and an epic fail like Rabbits revenge(and all of Atlas underground) haha so before I even play the track I instantly know its gonna knock, if Gramatik is featured on it I've come to expect a certain standard, and whata you know? it's completely LOUD + AMAZING just as I'd expect, you can tell right away Gramatik did the mixing and mastering, and if not credited for doing so had say so or guided whoever did as it matches up exactly with "Satoshi Nakamoto" which 90 percent of commercial or any releases fail to do, again were talking about vocals and all tracks sounding amazing at very very high levels on all systems, very hard to do. The song Tom has with Portugal the man and whethan I think its called Every step that I take sounds a little better than Rabbits revenge and the other Atlas underground tracks but does not match up to Cant stop the bleeding featuring Gramatik, right away when can’t stop the bleeding drops it’s like WOWness!. look I'm sure the feat has nothing to do with my thread as Gramatik is extremely well known and has more talent IMHO than any of the cats on the Atlas underground although I'm sure they all know each other and hang out or are friends, I just find it funny that the very thing I was praising Gramatik for in the thread happened to come to life on the artist who I criticized In the same thread

All these artist mentioned in this thread I have a great deal of respect for, just more so how Gramatiks mix-downs and masters stand out above the rest time and time again, just sayin

I'm not trying to act cool or sound smarter than anybody, if any of the artist mentioned in this thread actually read it including Gramatik they'd prob call me an idiot haha but thats ok, the point I'm trying to make is listen to tracks in their intended state, as they were released and compare, when I do this I pick the best all around and work on being able to match up, Gramatik's newer tracks are the best IMO,

there's a track from the Christian band Mercy Me from 2014 off the album Welcome to the new that gets really close with Gramatiks tracks(and there are tons of others that get really close as well as some that match up, just not very common), its called Dear younger me and is a steady reference of mine, so LOUDNESS + AMAZINGNESS is not specific to electronic oriented producers just throwing it out there, and another thing I want emphasize is VOCALS, it's much easier getting Loud and Amazing without vocals, and up until about a week ago was my biggest challenge.

and if anyone tells me about how streaming services including Spotify killed the loudness wars you are as sad as the artists who make/cater their music for these services. I was confused about this but found out from I believe CJ Mastering on here after making a thread more than a year ago that you can play all your songs on Spotify at the original level after adjusting the settings and turning off the compressor, I think youtube is the only one that you should make a specific lower level file for as they really butcher the quality if you don't, but don't bow the knee and make your final product weak just for them, make a separate file for them, but it seems Spotify does a great job and no quality loss, so the loudest of the loud with their compressor applied sound perfect just lower

thanks for stoping by and reading, again I don't claim that my opinions are the right ones, they're just my opinions

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search