The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Removing hiss from this sample without degrading the quality
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Removing hiss from this sample without degrading the quality

there's a section that comes in with a lot of hiss it sounds off-putting when it comes in because the part before it has much more going on so the hiss isn't as noticeable.

i just don't know enough yet to attempt to fix it without most likely degrading the audio quality of the sample. any help is appreciated.

its not mixed at all, worked on it for 10 mins before coming here for help before i finish it.

the part in question is at 12 seconds

edit: check 2nd post, for some reason it didnt attach here
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Attachment didnt work in original post for some reason
Attached Files

hooks from kareem.mp3 (2.82 MB, 386 views)

Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Google is your friend
Old 30th May 2019
Here for the gear

use the rx plugins. they are really great for that .
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Guru

Hiss has a pretty wide frequency band. Making it difficult to remove without having an impact on the sound underneath.
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Addict

Second that izotope rx is your best bet here
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Head

add some hiss to the part without?
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0419 View Post
there's a section that comes in with a lot of hiss it sounds off-putting when it comes in because the part before it has much more going on so the hiss isn't as noticeable.

i just don't know enough yet to attempt to fix it without most likely degrading the audio quality of the sample. any help is appreciated.

its not mixed at all, worked on it for 10 mins before coming here for help before i finish it.

the part in question is at 12 seconds

edit: check 2nd post, for some reason it didnt attach here
iZotope RX has one of the better noise reduction algorithms, but—for it to work properly, there needs to be a tiny section of only the noise so that it can "learn" the frequency response of it before being able to remove it. Otherwise, you're stuck doing a very generic broad-band removal, and the results are often not fantastic.

That being said, any type of noise reduction is going to degrade audio quality; there's always a very fine line between having less noise vs. incurring artifacts in the process. Some people will actually use much lower reduction settings, but then will do 2 or more passes, etc.

Since I sample really heavily (It isn't uncommon for me to have well over a dozen different samples from different tracks in one mix), I get noise stacked upon noise, upon more noise. One thing I'll do sometimes if there's something really severe in a certain sample, is (after doing noise reduction) I'll intentionally further degrade that sample to hide any of the artifacts—usually just running it through one of my older samplers at a lower sample rate is enough (something like Tal Sampler ought to work if you're using software).

Another thing to consider is that perfectly clean recordings are somewhat unnatural sounding... sometimes it's better to embrace these things than fight with them.

Otherwise, isolate the individual sample that has the noise and send it to someone with experience to help you.
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Google is your friend
So is Gearslutz and I'd rather get advice based on the source material. Thanks to everyone who actually answered my question. Unfortunately there's no section with just hiss to capture. I'll have to live with it.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0419 View Post
So is Gearslutz and I'd rather get advice based on the source material. Thanks to everyone who actually answered my question. Unfortunately there's no section with just hiss to capture. I'll have to live with it.
Dude... this is a question that’s as old as sampling and certainly as old as daws... I actually gave you the best answer google “remove hiss from audio” and you’ll get videos, tutorials, links to free plugins that do it, reviews of commercial plugins that do it... it’s hardly an esoteric topic... I just read your post as a bit lazy, honestly.
Old 5th June 2019
Beat sounds fine as is. I hear no issues.

Put the beat out there and let it work its magic. It stands on its own as a great piece of Hip Hop.
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Dude... this is a question that’s as old as sampling and certainly as old as daws... I actually gave you the best answer google “remove hiss from audio” and you’ll get videos, tutorials, links to free plugins that do it, reviews of commercial plugins that do it... it’s hardly an esoteric topic... I just read your post as a bit lazy, honestly.
I knew using the hiss from the sample wouldn't work because there's no point in the sample where the hiss is isolated. Since I'm new to actually trying to mix the right way, I guess I feel I need to share as much info about my issue as I can.

To be honest, I've been making beats and songs for years but I always stop right before or right after I start mixing. I see how this question could be looked at as lazy. Since I've technically been making beats for years but my mind is programmed to stop at this stage I'm kind of overwhelmed taking everything I've read about mixing over the years and trying to put it into practice so I apologize for this one or if there are questions in the future that might seem lazy. I don't mean any harm I'm mainly just trying not to fall into bad habits, etc. Sorry for being un-dude there for a minute, I certainly don't want to create a bad name on this forum.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear
Since hiss is high frequency material and you know which sample introduce the hiss you can try the following on that specific sample(s)

1. Hipass Filter the sample(s). Use a steep filter (6pole or more) and set the cutoff so you cut out most of the signal while keeping the hiss.

2. If there are still peaks (transients) of instruments/percussion etc in it delete them by simply cutting it out.

With that you isolated the hiss the manual way. Not perfect but it might work

3. Use your isolated hiss as fingerprint for your hiss removal software of choice.

Depending on the software you use you can set the amount of hissremoval so -12dB might be enough without degrading the quality too much.

peace
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 View Post
Since hiss is high frequency material and you know which sample introduce the hiss you can try the following on that specific sample(s)

1. Hipass Filter the sample(s). Use a steep filter (6pole or more) and set the cutoff so you cut out most of the signal while keeping the hiss.

2. If there are still peaks (transients) of instruments/percussion etc in it delete them by simply cutting it out.

With that you isolated the hiss the manual way. Not perfect but it might work

3. Use your isolated hiss as fingerprint for your hiss removal software of choice.

Depending on the software you use you can set the amount of hissremoval so -12dB might be enough without degrading the quality too much.

peace
Yeah, that actually might work—if you have Fabfilter Pro-Q3, it has the capability of doing insanely steep filters—96db per octave and even a steeper brick-wall (if i remember correctly). You may be able to isolate at least the worst part of the noise in the higher frequency region.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search