Old 28th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Do you send your 808s to the drum bus?

Title
Old 28th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0419 View Post
Title
If I feel it's necessary. It's like anything else, I would send to a common bus if I felt it needed to be processed with the other parts.
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Are you just asking about the kick?
808 drum patterns are all drums. Depending on the song, you might want to keep it out of your typical mixing chain and treat it separately. Totally depends on your personal goals for the track. Short decay? Long Decay? Want it to duck a bit when your snare hits? There's a million ways to do it. Same reason you might want to separate your 808 hihats from the drum bus, maybe the song needs that.

If I'm using a tuned 808 kick sound as a bassline, I treat it as bass instead of drums.
Old 29th May 2019
Lives for gear

I treat it separately. I usually give it slightly different treatment (saturation, distortion, EQ) from the drums.
Old 29th May 2019
Lives for gear

If you're talking about the 808 Sub, then no, I don't send it to the main drum bus. There's way too much energy with any sub bass and you'll never be able to get it loud enough before it destroys all the processing on your drum bus and takes up all of the headroom of that entire channel.

With elements like that (which are related to a certain sub-category of sounds, but shouldn't be on that category's bus), You'd typically just use VCA channels; that allows you amplitude control over any group of channels not included on a certain bus, but which are still categorically related, if that makes sense—it's essentially just a way of linking control over (relative) fader levels of channels together without actually grouping the audio itself all to one bus.
Old 31st May 2019
Gear Addict

I almost always leave the 808 as it's own track with no bus. If anything I will put it in a bus with other non-kick bass tracks but only if it isn't conflicting or is on seperate parts of the production than the other track in the bus. The 808 is too important so I like to leave it all on it's own. Especially because it is usually almost all low frequencies which is always more trouble than it's worth on any bus other than the master bus where I have no choice.
Old 31st May 2019
I find the xOx drums lose something in a drum bus...sometimes good for the track but not so much if you want 'that' sound. 808's are kinda delicate like that IMO.
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear
I usually don't use a drum bus for hip-hop. But when I do whether or not I send the 808 to the drum buss is really a question of how I feel about the role of the 808. It's funny because I think about this EVERY mix. That's because I always order the tracks in the mix session the same exact way. The top track is always the kick and it's orange. The bassline is always the first things after the drums, then percussion, then sound effects, and the bassline is dark purple. So where does the 808 go?!?!?!? Sometimes I consider the 808 more of the bassline; sometimes I consider it more of a kick. If I view it as the kick, then it would go to the drum buss if I use one (which is not often).
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

Sometimes if I need some kick and bass glue I’ll send it out to a parallel chain, rather than process it together with all the drums.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0419 View Post
Title
I don't like drum bus
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I would definitely treat an 808 as a bass and not a drum regardless of how you use it. Especially for hip hop where you most likely have short, punchy drums. -Assuming we're talking 808 sub (sine wave) and not 808 drums.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't know how anyone can group a deep sub on the same bus as a hard-hitting kick without having some serious dynamic range problems. I think I tend to leave enough headroom on my channels before hitting the 2bus, but a sub-bass + kick together seem to take up a little too much of the same frequency range space when grouped, and the sub is going to really affect whatever compression you have on your drum bus, though I suppose you could just use a comp with an internal sidechain that has a high-pass filter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search