The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MPC 3k all tracks midi play from ableton
Old 25th May 2019
Here for the gear

MPC 3k all tracks midi play from ableton

Hi everyone,

I’ve been using an mpc 3000 for a couple of years now, but I’m trying to improve my workflow. There is one thing about this machine that I can’t get right. I’ve searched like mad, but still haven’t found the trick.

I’m trying to use the 3k as the sequencer running 3 midi synths. I have midi thru box from the A midi out to all the synths, plus another going into ableton to record midi notes for later editing. The midi recording in ableton works well, However, when I play the midi from (and in) ableton it won’t go back through the mpc to the synths. I have my keyboard controller going into input 1 and ableton going into input 2. Is this beyond the capabilities of the 3000? If this question has been answered before, I swear I can’t find it. I did get it to play back a single midi track at a time, but that’s it. I’ll be sure to post the solution to the forum if there is one

All the best,
J
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

Not sure I'm exactly understanding everything correctly, but I think you're going to have to alter the way you have it set up—the only way you'd be able to have midi coming out of Ableton, into the MPC, and then passed on to external gear would be if the MPC had a midi thru port.

I think essentially what needs to happen is that you'd have to use some kind of midi merger box, so that both the MPC and Ableton have midi outputs connected to a merger, which is then connected to your synths.
Old 28th May 2019
Here for the gear

You should be able to accomplish your task. Heres my MIDI routing from the MPC3000 to the Moog and to the MPC Renaissance. This allows me to use the Moog as a Midi controller for the Akai 2.0 software on my Mac when I want to use the Moog Keyboard. This setup also allows me to record MIDI data from the Akai 2.0 software instruments plugins similar to triggering sounds from a module slaved to the MPC3000 via MIDI.
Attached Thumbnails
MPC 3k all tracks midi play from ableton-basic-midi-routing-mpc3000-moog-mpc-ren.001.jpeg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search