The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can you please recommend some starting setting for the Apollo Twin?
Old 24th May 2019
Here for the gear

Can you please recommend some starting setting for the Apollo Twin?

Hi. I've been playing with my Apollo Twin and a few different mic combos. TLM-103, RE-20, and Rhode NT1-A

So far, I'm really feeling the RE-20 on my voice. The 103 picked up too much room noise and some weird harmonic fluctuations (probably from the poorly treated room). The Rhode just sounds "Weird", can't even explain it.

Anyway, is anyone using either the Rhode or the RE-20 and can you recommend starting settings for either? Preferably with the stock plugins as I'm not really up for spending another $400 for the Tube Comp and Neve.

Thanks!
Old 24th May 2019
Quote:
Can you please recommend some starting setting for the Apollo Twin, Preferably with the stock plugins as I'm not really up for spending another $400 for the Tube Comp and Neve. ?
We cannot because starting settings depends on these things:
1 The sound source itself
2. The loudness of the sound source
3. How close the sound source is to the mic.
4. How the mic is placed
5. The position of the mic in the room
6. The sound pressure being exerted by the
7. The room the sound source is being recorded in
8. The sound you want.

So seeing these things, just record in 24bit and do not peak over -8dB PEAK and you'll be ok in most cases. so set up your gain stage and signal chain accordingly and experiment until you are happy

So your starting settings 'can' be all zeroed out at their lowest settings and then go up from there until YOU are happy with all your plugin sounds and dB levels
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

Build yourself a little makeshift "booth" with moving blankets (U-Haul). You could use a pair of portable clothing racks to hang them (the more the better), and then position one of the racks behind you, and then one of the racks in front of your mic stand.

You also might need to spend some time figuring out exactly what spot in your space has the least amount of room sound, via trial and error.

I can almost guarantee that this will make more difference than spending money on anything else—you want to get as neutral and natural sound as possible at the source, and the acoustics in any given space are going to have the biggest impact on this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search