The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley reference C 🔥🔥 Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Manley reference C ??

Man I got my Manley a week or so ago and today was my first time putting it through the paces , since my initial test run ... I recorded a couple of songs and good God lol... I had the Sony c100 before this and man does this thing smoke it ... I have bought high end mic pres in the past great river Avedis Ma5 to name a few , but always used sub par mics .. I didn't really believe the microphone was the most important component when it came to the signal chain ... Man was I wrong I spent all these years chasing that high end sound trying different pres and all I had to do was stop listen and buy a real mic ... It's a night and day difference .. I'm using it with the Apollo unison 1073 and it sounds so dam good man. I just ordered a Rupert shelford and it will be here Monday .. I can't wait to hear it through that thing ... If the unison already sounds this good I know having a real analog pre is going to give it the icing on the top... My vocals sound big warm , but with clarity the mic is kinda bright but not like the c100 , I felt it was to clinical, it was sharp sounding that's the best way I can describe it and lots of sibilance too.. another thing I love about the Manley is that I don't have to de-ess I hate de-essing .. so for all those project studio guys looking for that radio sound do yourself a favor and buy the Manley and an Apollo and you will not be disappointed!! Its freaking gorgeous as well
Old 3 days ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokey30 View Post
Man I got my Manley a week or so ago and today was my first time putting it through the paces , since my initial test run ... I recorded a couple of songs and good God lol... I had the Sony c100 before this and man does this thing smoke it ... I have bought high end mic pres in the past great river Avedis Ma5 to name a few , but always used sub par mics .. I didn't really believe the microphone was the most important component when it came to the signal chain ... Man was I wrong I spent all these years chasing that high end sound trying different pres and all I had to do was stop listen and buy a real mic ... It's a night and day difference .. I'm using it with the Apollo unison 1073 and it sounds so dam good man. I just ordered a Rupert shelford and it will be here Monday .. I can't wait to hear it through that thing ... If the unison already sounds this good I know having a real analog pre is going to give it the icing on the top... My vocals sound big warm , but with clarity the mic is kinda bright but not like the c100 , I felt it was to clinical, it was sharp sounding that's the best way I can describe it and lots of sibilance too.. another thing I love about the Manley is that I don't have to de-ess I hate de-essing .. so for all those project studio guys looking for that radio sound do yourself a favor and buy the Manley and an Apollo and you will not be disappointed!! Its freaking gorgeous as well
the Manley Ref C is a beast. I have one and its the closest thing to my C800g at a fraction of the price. and yeah, the mic is def the biggest sonic component. its going to be hard to screw up recording when you put that thing in front of something.
Old 3 days ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Just got my shelford a couple of days ago what a beautiful sound
Old 2 days ago
  #4
Lives for gear
The Ref C uses a Chinese capsule.
Old 1 day ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
The Ref C uses a Chinese capsule.
And?
Old 1 day ago
  #6
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
And?
Make of that what you will. Sony make their own capsules they don’t use OEM.
Old 1 day ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Make of that what you will. Sony make their own capsules they don’t use OEM.
Word up. I don't actually own any mics with chinese caps—in fact I'm a huge fan of the (modded) Russian Oktava mics.
Old 1 day ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
its going to be hard to screw up recording when you put that thing in front of something.
Unless that thing ends up being placed backwards (people have done it before ).

Personally, I've always seen the Ref C as being a good stepping stone toward something like the C800G.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Cokey30 / High End
6
T_Laz / High End
31
DJ ABNS / High End
3
snedley / So Much Gear, So Little Time
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump