The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Manley reference C 🔥🔥
Old 18th May 2019
Here for the gear

Manley reference C ??

Man I got my Manley a week or so ago and today was my first time putting it through the paces , since my initial test run ... I recorded a couple of songs and good God lol... I had the Sony c100 before this and man does this thing smoke it ... I have bought high end mic pres in the past great river Avedis Ma5 to name a few , but always used sub par mics .. I didn't really believe the microphone was the most important component when it came to the signal chain ... Man was I wrong I spent all these years chasing that high end sound trying different pres and all I had to do was stop listen and buy a real mic ... It's a night and day difference .. I'm using it with the Apollo unison 1073 and it sounds so dam good man. I just ordered a Rupert shelford and it will be here Monday .. I can't wait to hear it through that thing ... If the unison already sounds this good I know having a real analog pre is going to give it the icing on the top... My vocals sound big warm , but with clarity the mic is kinda bright but not like the c100 , I felt it was to clinical, it was sharp sounding that's the best way I can describe it and lots of sibilance too.. another thing I love about the Manley is that I don't have to de-ess I hate de-essing .. so for all those project studio guys looking for that radio sound do yourself a favor and buy the Manley and an Apollo and you will not be disappointed!! Its freaking gorgeous as well
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokey30 View Post
Man I got my Manley a week or so ago and today was my first time putting it through the paces , since my initial test run ... I recorded a couple of songs and good God lol... I had the Sony c100 before this and man does this thing smoke it ... I have bought high end mic pres in the past great river Avedis Ma5 to name a few , but always used sub par mics .. I didn't really believe the microphone was the most important component when it came to the signal chain ... Man was I wrong I spent all these years chasing that high end sound trying different pres and all I had to do was stop listen and buy a real mic ... It's a night and day difference .. I'm using it with the Apollo unison 1073 and it sounds so dam good man. I just ordered a Rupert shelford and it will be here Monday .. I can't wait to hear it through that thing ... If the unison already sounds this good I know having a real analog pre is going to give it the icing on the top... My vocals sound big warm , but with clarity the mic is kinda bright but not like the c100 , I felt it was to clinical, it was sharp sounding that's the best way I can describe it and lots of sibilance too.. another thing I love about the Manley is that I don't have to de-ess I hate de-essing .. so for all those project studio guys looking for that radio sound do yourself a favor and buy the Manley and an Apollo and you will not be disappointed!! Its freaking gorgeous as well
the Manley Ref C is a beast. I have one and its the closest thing to my C800g at a fraction of the price. and yeah, the mic is def the biggest sonic component. its going to be hard to screw up recording when you put that thing in front of something.
Old 22nd May 2019
Here for the gear

Just got my shelford a couple of days ago what a beautiful sound
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear
The Ref C uses a Chinese capsule.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
And?
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
And?
Make of that what you will. Sony make their own capsules they don’t use OEM.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Make of that what you will. Sony make their own capsules they don’t use OEM.
Word up. I don't actually own any mics with chinese caps—in fact I'm a huge fan of the (modded) Russian Oktava mics.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
its going to be hard to screw up recording when you put that thing in front of something.
Unless that thing ends up being placed backwards (people have done it before ).

Personally, I've always seen the Ref C as being a good stepping stone toward something like the C800G.
Old 13th June 2019
Here for the gear

i have both C100 and Ref C, the Ref C pair with my Manley Core, it sound amazing without EQ or de-easer. i Love it man
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Nut

EDIT: sorry I thought the Manley C reference was a preamp, not a mic, I upgraded from akg c314 to nueman u87 and was happy running into apollo and unison but getting the la 610 mk2 using that on board compressor has changed everything, I figure ill leave the rest of this post as it's still in reference to getting amazing vocals

having a good pre is night and day, I'm happy your stoked, I know the feeling. I got the La-610 mk 2 with a U87 and dam, the compressor after finally getting the hang of it makes so much of a difference, the pre itself is good but when dialing in the compressor which is supposed to be in the La-2a family sounds so nice

Btw I have an apollo and was running unison 1073 line in also from the pre but ditched it, I found I got much better results straight up stock a/d, the 1073 colors your great chain already imo, if you run a sine wav through the 1073 it has 4 harmonic bumps and also lower on default so when driving a little to compensate its becomes over saturated, as far as coming from an already great vocal chain, other line inputs or directly recording in mic on the 1073 have been good but I no longer use it that way as I'm running through physical pre/compressor/tubes and I feel sounds better
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Unless that thing ends up being placed backwards (people have done it before ).

Personally, I've always seen the Ref C as being a good stepping stone toward something like the C800G.
Different things
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Addict

Manley uses both sides of Anode Triode and mixes them in parallel, not many other mic designs do this. Lower noise floor bigger sound.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Nut

You write that in all manley threads dont you.

Quote:
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasSwe View Post
You write that in all manley threads dont you.
That can’t be right. I don’t post in all the Manley threads.
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
And?
It's o.k. that the Manley uses a Chinese capsule. Manley has high levels of quality control. It is part of of the reason their stuff is so expensive. They will simply reject the capsule if it doesn't meet specs... again part of the price.

Manley doesn't make their own capsule for the Gold model either... that capsule is made by Josephson. In fact, Manley does not make capsules, period.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Microphone, placement and performance is the most important part of the recording process. You learn that once you get good mics. Have the Manley Reference and its the number one piece of gear that changed everything for me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Big fan of the Ref C. Owned one for years. Also, own a C800g. Both are great vocal mics.

My favorite vocal mic these days is the Chandler REDD. It does the Sony thing, the U47 thing, and everything in between. Don’t own one yet, but have mixed sessions where it was used. Excellent. One session used different variations of the mic for leads and backgrounds. Chain was REDD mic (built in pre + drive) to a CL1B.

One of the kids in my daughter’s high school songwriting/production crew just grabbed an AdvancedAudio CM800T. A very good sounding C800g clone for $800.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search