The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's the Point of Making Hip Hop Anymore
Old 18th May 2019
  #1
Gear Addict
 

What's the Point of Making Hip Hop Anymore

First off I want to say that I love producing music and recording. However, lately I feel like what's the point anymore. If you look on Youtube, music videos get the lowest engagement compared to lame videos like talk shows, top 10 lists, and animal videos. The average music video gets $16k views. Only a small top tier group of artists get millions of views.

I see Hip Hop groups putting out amazing music with incredible videos getting 10k views. Music sales are all but dead and streaming pays next to nothing anymore. People don't seem to appreciate music - especially the younger generations. Everyone who has a laptop thinks they can make amazing beats. Everyone thinks they can rap but the truth is only a small elite can actually do it at a top tier level.

I love making music just to do it but I also do it to see some feedback and appreciation for all your efforts. Musicians like interacting with others and watching what they create have an impact. Now, even albums like Pete Rock's SP1200 album is all but ignored except for a small select few.

So I ask - what is the point anymore if people don't care, people barely listen (even to well known groups - IE. Erick Sermon's latest album), and devote their time to other things outside of music.

Yes, you can make your own music and do it for your own ego but I enjoy doing it so people get enjoyment out of it and like seeing the interaction. If some of the best artists can't even demand attention, why bother anymore?
Old 18th May 2019
  #2
Gear Addict
 
KickDrum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
First off I want to say that I love producing music and recording. However, lately I feel like what's the point anymore. If you look on Youtube, music videos get the lowest engagement compared to lame videos like talk shows, top 10 lists, and animal videos. The average music video gets $16k views. Only a small top tier group of artists get millions of views.

I see Hip Hop groups putting out amazing music with incredible videos getting 10k views. Music sales are all but dead and streaming pays next to nothing anymore. People don't seem to appreciate music - especially the younger generations. Everyone who has a laptop thinks they can make amazing beats. Everyone thinks they can rap but the truth is only a small elite can actually do it at a top tier level.

I love making music just to do it but I also do it to see some feedback and appreciation for all your efforts. Musicians like interacting with others and watching what they create have an impact. Now, even albums like Pete Rock's SP1200 album is all but ignored except for a small select few.

So I ask - what is the point anymore if people don't care, people barely listen (even to well known groups - IE. Erick Sermon's latest album), and devote their time to other things outside of music.

Yes, you can make your own music and do it for your own ego but I enjoy doing it so people get enjoyment out of it and like seeing the interaction. If some of the best artists can't even demand attention, why bother anymore?
It sounds maybe like your question is a commercial question? Well, suppose there was no way for any person alive to hear your music besides you, would you still make music? Not trying to trap you here, genuinely curious and there's no wrong answer. I know lots of musicians who only enjoy playing with others, jamming, song circles, playing with other musicians in bands, gigging, etc. They treat music like how some people treat golf, a means to connect with others and have a good time. While others may view creating music as an extension of themselves and who they are, creating is a part of them and what they want to do with their lives.
Old 18th May 2019
  #3
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
First off I want to say that I love producing music and recording. However, lately I feel like what's the point anymore. If you look on Youtube, music videos get the lowest engagement compared to lame videos like talk shows, top 10 lists, and animal videos. The average music video gets $16k views. Only a small top tier group of artists get millions of views.

I see Hip Hop groups putting out amazing music with incredible videos getting 10k views. Music sales are all but dead and streaming pays next to nothing anymore. People don't seem to appreciate music - especially the younger generations. Everyone who has a laptop thinks they can make amazing beats. Everyone thinks they can rap but the truth is only a small elite can actually do it at a top tier level.

I love making music just to do it but I also do it to see some feedback and appreciation for all your efforts. Musicians like interacting with others and watching what they create have an impact. Now, even albums like Pete Rock's SP1200 album is all but ignored except for a small select few.

So I ask - what is the point anymore if people don't care, people barely listen (even to well known groups - IE. Erick Sermon's latest album), and devote their time to other things outside of music.

Yes, you can make your own music and do it for your own ego but I enjoy doing it so people get enjoyment out of it and like seeing the interaction. If some of the best artists can't even demand attention, why bother anymore?
who is erick sermon
Old 18th May 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
I love making music just to do it but I also do it to see some feedback and appreciation for all your efforts. Musicians like interacting with others and watching what they create have an impact. Now, even albums like Pete Rock's SP1200 album is all but ignored except for a small select few.

So I ask - what is the point anymore if people don't care, people barely listen (even to well known groups - IE. Erick Sermon's latest album), and devote their time to other things outside of music.

Yes, you can make your own music and do it for your own ego but I enjoy doing it so people get enjoyment out of it and like seeing the interaction. If some of the best artists can't even demand attention, why bother anymore?
Indeed getting plays and feedback in this day age is hard for almost everyone other than those top few % who manage to take off for one reason or another, (not always due to talent of course!).

Even though I love making beats just for the sake of making beats, there was a time a couple of years ago where it got a little frustrated by not having many people hear and feedback on them once i'd released as I wanted to know if other people were enjoying them as much as I me and know if i'd made some positive connections with my art and put back a little into the ocean of music i've got so much from in the last 25 years.

One of the very best things i've done since to improve that situation is join an active beat battle community which means there's always a notable group of people who are happy to listen and feedback each week, and overall it's really nice to have that social element as part of the whole experience rather than just making and sending beats into the 'void'.

Plus it's a weekly beat battle so there's the fun element of competing and everyone is super chill and supportive, plus we set up battle rules/themes that push us out our comfort zones to challenge us beat making wise which I know i've found so valuable developmental wise.

There's loads of beat battle communities out there to choose from, but if you are interested in checking out ours it's at stbbforever.com

Until late last years it was Stones Throw forum's very long running beat battle (now in it's 9th year), so when they shut their forum down we migrated it to a one. Would be great to see any of your guys there.
Old 18th May 2019
  #5
Gear Head
 

I think most people just aren't buying music anymore, it's easier to get it at no cost online. If/when people start buying music again, that might save it. Otherwise, for newer artists, the future is bleak as far as making any income off your recordings.
Old 18th May 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadutol View Post
I think most people just aren't buying music anymore, it's easier to get it at no cost online. If/when people start buying music again, that might save it. Otherwise, for newer artists, the future is bleak as far as making any income off your recordings.
Oh yeah making money from making music is dead for almost everyone. The money is all in performance unless you are one of a few lucky few, and even then, it's only a tiny percentage of performers who are ever going to make a lot of money.

Just gotta make it for the love rather than the money however you can.
Old 18th May 2019
  #7
Quote:
So I ask - what is the point anymore if people don't care, people barely listen (even to well known groups - IE. Erick Sermon's latest album), and devote their time to other things outside of music.

Yes, you can make your own music and do it for your own ego but I enjoy doing it so people get enjoyment out of it and like seeing the interaction.
This seems to be your own personnel problem. The best artist (painters, musicians) do their art for their own personnel pleasure gratification, not for someone else's.

They do not do it for their Ego and they do not do crave reactions from others, like you. They do it for the love of it.

You should do things you love and do not do just do things to get reactions from others to feed your ego.

That's my 2 cents
Old 18th May 2019
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
This seems to be your own personnel problem. The best artist (painters, musicians) do their art for their own personnel pleasure gratification, not for someone else's.

They do not do it for their Ego and they do not do crave reactions from others, like you. They do it for the love of it.

You should do things you love and do not do just do things to get reactions from others to feed your ego.

That's my 2 cents
CJ gets it. Hell I rarely even release anything I finish anymore, I could care less if people hear it or not these days. But I know if I didn't have the means to create it I would lose it and go nuts. No matter how old or involved with music I get, I still have that itch to make it, whether I want anyone to hear it or not. Its a compulsion that's just there, it doesn't exist to serve anyone but me and damn right Im gonna keep feeding it! :D
Old 18th May 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
CJ gets it. Hell I rarely even release anything I finish anymore, I could care less if people hear it or not these days. But I know if I didn't have the means to create it I would lose it and go nuts. No matter how old or involved with music I get, I still have that itch to make it, whether I want anyone to hear it or not. Its a compulsion that's just there, it doesn't exist to serve anyone but me and damn right Im gonna keep feeding it! :D
Yeah if that 'itch' (I know exactly what you mean btw!), is primarily or entirely for the buzz of the feedback from listeners rather than actually making the music then it's time to give up IMO.
Old 19th May 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Doc Vigilanti's Avatar
 

You make Hip Hop because you love it. You don't do it for the paycheck, you do it because you want to make great music.

You don't like all the new stuff they consider Hip-Hop these days? You make Hip-Hop that you think is better because you love it and you think you can do it better than those folks.

Some folks don't care if their music ever sees the light of day, but I on the other hand believe what's the point of making music if people aren't going to hear it?

You make music because listening to music is enjoyable and therapeutic, and the stuff you write about might help someone else out that is going through the same things or something similar.

You make music because it brings people together.

You make music because it's a fun way to meet friends and have a D measuring contest to find out who's better at making beats or rapping all in good fun.

And the list of reasons to make Hip-Hop or any type of music really, goes on and on.
Old 21st May 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
Artists make art because they have to. There's something deeply internal and intrinsic inside of them that needs to be expressed artistically. beyond that, it becomes a matter of politics.
Old 21st May 2019
  #12
who is erick sermon [/QUOTE]

Troll Gold...
Old 22nd May 2019
  #13
Here for the gear
 

The plus point on making beats for fun or love of art is that you no longer have the headaches of commercial things like clearing samples, struggles with label control on music releases or enforced to produce music genre you don't like. You are completely free with the creation process so you can define your own limits.
Old 22nd May 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 

Stop making beats and start making music. Make records/recordings as artistic statements. Find some artists and complete projects. Make music that speaks to something in you. If you don't like the music that's out, make what you would make if you had a global audience. Make what you think is missing. If there's an artist you do like, make what you'd make if you were competing with him/her directly. Get with some like minded people who want to make a similar creative statement. Pick up an instrument, learn to play something you haven't, (drums/guitar/piano, anything musical that's new to you. I don't care if it's a kazoo. Push yourself toward something new.

Make good music with people you like being around and between the group of you, you'll find an audience even if you have to grow it one person at a time.

Outside of the artistic side, create projects/products that you think are worth something. Create what you think has monetary value. Create what YOU would spend money on (And be honest with yourself about the value of it.)

Become better than you are and meet with others who are like minded.

You will be putting yourself in position for something to happen.

I disagree with the notion that the Ego is separate from the artist. Some of the best artists I've met have huge egos.
Old 22nd May 2019
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Stop making beats and start making music. Make records/recordings as artistic statements. Find some artists and complete projects.
^THIS!!! I still do NOT understand this method of thinking heh. My girlfriends kid is big into this, he got Logic Pro and everything a couple years ago and started digging into it.. His sole concern is 'The Beat'. I hear him looping his 4 bar section over and over and over and over and never moving beyond that one block. Its like me when Im coming up with a single sequence in my MPC only, they never move past that first sequence. The actual rapping and delivery take a back seat to 'the beats' and when they finally do step up to the mic jeezsus, they're usually terrible and barely have any sense of rhythm whatsoever. I keep telling him he needs to start digging into the why and how of music or he's just going to keep running in this terrible circle because he doesn't know what to do next. When I set my stuff up after I moved in, he was shocked at 'is all that bass coming out of those little speakers??' Uh yeah theyre monitors, he had no clue what those were, as he's got friends bringing him random subwoofers and PA speakers to listen to his music out of heh. He looked at one of my mixes and mentioned that he didnt even know how to use his plugins and was tripping out at all the comps and eqs I had open.

Its like its just the cool thing to do nowadays. I mean being a musician always was but now with everything so easily available, its not like you're the ONE guy that could afford a guitar in school anymore. Now everybody has one, whether theyre good or not, its just what it is. You're either going to have a vision you want to make happen, or you're just one of those people that's only doing it because its the cool thing to do, and you're never going to get anywhere with it because music is NOT instant gratification. Good luck returning all that dj gear and whatnot you bought at Guitar Center six months ago when you get bored with it.
Old 23rd May 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
^THIS!!! I still do NOT understand this method of thinking heh. My girlfriends kid is big into this, he got Logic Pro and everything a couple years ago and started digging into it.. His sole concern is 'The Beat'. I hear him looping his 4 bar section over and over and over and over and never moving beyond that one block. Its like me when Im coming up with a single sequence in my MPC only, they never move past that first sequence. The actual rapping and delivery take a back seat to 'the beats' and when they finally do step up to the mic jeezsus, they're usually terrible and barely have any sense of rhythm whatsoever. I keep telling him he needs to start digging into the why and how of music or he's just going to keep running in this terrible circle because he doesn't know what to do next. When I set my stuff up after I moved in, he was shocked at 'is all that bass coming out of those little speakers??' Uh yeah theyre monitors, he had no clue what those were, as he's got friends bringing him random subwoofers and PA speakers to listen to his music out of heh. He looked at one of my mixes and mentioned that he didnt even know how to use his plugins and was tripping out at all the comps and eqs I had open.

Its like its just the cool thing to do nowadays. I mean being a musician always was but now with everything so easily available, its not like you're the ONE guy that could afford a guitar in school anymore. Now everybody has one, whether theyre good or not, its just what it is. You're either going to have a vision you want to make happen, or you're just one of those people that's only doing it because its the cool thing to do, and you're never going to get anywhere with it because music is NOT instant gratification. Good luck returning all that dj gear and whatnot you bought at Guitar Center six months ago when you get bored with it.
ABSOLUTELY!!!

The level of musicianship and comprehension of any sort of theory has declined exponentially, and perhaps because music and the arts, in general, are often never required or even taught at all in some schools means that the general listening public also has a similar lack of comprehension of music which engenders that cycle to continue and be acceptable.

On the other hand, there are some music genres like modern progressive metal where the complexity and musicianship can certainly approach that of classical.
Old 23rd May 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
ABSOLUTELY!!!

The level of musicianship and comprehension of any sort of theory has declined exponentially, and perhaps because music and the arts, in general, are often never required or even taught at all in some schools means that the general listening public also has a similar lack of comprehension of music which engenders that cycle to continue and be acceptable.

On the other hand, there are some music genres like modern progressive metal where the complexity and musicianship can certainly approach that of classical.
That's true about the teaching of music in education i think.A lot of them fast metal heads probably learned classical music when they were younger.And then rebelled with there guitars
Old 24th May 2019
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
That's true about the teaching of music in education i think.A lot of them fast metal heads probably learned classical music when they were younger.And then rebelled with there guitars
Yep. Dropped school band when I started high school and got my first guitar haha.
Old 30th May 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Fanu's Avatar
This questions tells something about you, if you think about it.

If you're a pop artist, I don't think there's much I can say.

If not…you do it because you love making music. It's that thing that gives you (or at least me) a lot of joy, sense of meaning, fulfilment, satisfies my passion.
It's that flower you water as will give you a lot back.
Sometimes it helps to shed off all the external bull****, take a small break from it…and I swear you'll get back to it because you realize you love it.
I've been in that "is this worth it?" crossroads many times but I always get back after shedding off that BS and I do my best work after that.
Do it for you. Do it for the love of music. Like someone said, artists make it because they have to.
If you feel you don't have to, you can let it go.

I've been a releasing artist for 15 years, always making at least some beer money on the side, and sure enough, it's got more difficult these days.
I've made money from my music but I've never made music *for* money. It slightly supplements my income as a mixing and mastering engineer, and I'm happy about that. I'd make my living from engineering only, but honestly, everything that comes in from the products of pure love feel really good.
If I had tried to become a person who lives off of his productions, I would've experienced some pains at some point.
But now it's more like, I'm happy I've always made music, as there's a lot of if out there, and people play it little by little every month and buy some.

I guess I kind of digress here, but if I had tried and made music for money, that would've resulted in unhappiness, but as I always made it out of joy without thinking about money, ironically it gained me some. If I saw in a crystal ball that it'll gain me zero bucks in the future, I'd still do it with the same undying passion.
Old 7th June 2019
  #20
I gave up on trying to make music for an audience long ago. For me, Ive always liked recording, and chasing down inspiration to see where it leads me. Sometimes I end up with listenable music, sometimes not so much. Im glad I dont need to make a living from music in this climate, but its a very freeing feeling to know that I dont have to make something to be as profitable as possible.
Old 7th June 2019
  #21
Here for the gear
 

bro artist are still making bread. playboicarti, nav, drake, etc... true success only comes if your are elite and your sound is unique. sure they will be ppl who get a lil fame on twitter and IG here and there but if you want that drake, rihanna, 50 cent, feed your family off your music type of success then you have to have the holy trinity; an amazing unique production/producer, amazing unique artist, professional mixing engineer. if one of those chains are weak you are going to struggle. These new artist are not masters of any of the three skillsets I just named and it is showing and hitting them financially.

When you make a record really listen and ask yourself does this bring you into another world and lock you in there for the 1-3 minutes this song last, like your favorite song does when you listen to it? The moment you hit play the listener should be able to escape this hectic world for a little bit. That is what people payed for back then and is why artist, producers etc worked so hard.
Old 8th June 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
I'm not tryin to be discouraging here, but it's been 10 years-

I Think I'm Done

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear...-****-now.html

A Career In Music - Reality Check

Rap & Hip Hop = Old Steel Industry

Anyone Actually Making Money Right Now?

I mean, it's just a really long time to beat your head against the same wall and expect something different to happen no?

Do it for the love! Or don't. I'm no shrink, and I don't know you personally, but I can't imagine that this is a good look for anyone. Wish you the best, nothing personal...I haven't even dropped by the Rap + Hip Hop section in a long time and it's like deja vu all over again.
Old 8th June 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Some things you need to be today-
Fresh
Overprocuced
HHyped
Street
Connected
and above all commercial !!!

Alternatively you can just be a lowley musician/artist/producer/poet/performer//
Old 9th June 2019
  #24
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
First off I want to say that I love producing music and recording. However, lately I feel like what's the point anymore. If you look on Youtube, music videos get the lowest engagement compared to lame videos like talk shows, top 10 lists, and animal videos. The average music video gets $16k views. Only a small top tier group of artists get millions of views.

I see Hip Hop groups putting out amazing music with incredible videos getting 10k views. Music sales are all but dead and streaming pays next to nothing anymore. People don't seem to appreciate music - especially the younger generations. Everyone who has a laptop thinks they can make amazing beats. Everyone thinks they can rap but the truth is only a small elite can actually do it at a top tier level.

I love making music just to do it but I also do it to see some feedback and appreciation for all your efforts. Musicians like interacting with others and watching what they create have an impact. Now, even albums like Pete Rock's SP1200 album is all but ignored except for a small select few.

So I ask - what is the point anymore if people don't care, people barely listen (even to well known groups - IE. Erick Sermon's latest album), and devote their time to other things outside of music.

Yes, you can make your own music and do it for your own ego but I enjoy doing it so people get enjoyment out of it and like seeing the interaction. If some of the best artists can't even demand attention, why bother anymore?
People still are listening to music online though. I seen videos with 1 billion views. Granted it was a pop song but that shows you it can be done.


Hip hop was heavily promoted by the big music executives in the 2000s, probably due to lower budgets of producing an album.

This decade though EDM seems to have a bigger presence.


The point though if you truly like your music, nobody else needs to like it. I read an article about 20 years ago about making hip hop beats and it pretty much stated you need to have a love for the craft to succeed in the long term. 20 years later that statement makes a whole lotta more sense now than back then. Love is what keeps you up late at night finalizing a track. Love keeps you in the fight in your worst of times. I seen too many people give up only to realize they might not have really had the true love of the art.

Keep at it do what you love, if you love it, dont give a **** what anyone else think or feel.


Chances are what you love somebody else loves. Sometimes it is better to have a smaller consistent fan base than a short term huge wave of fans. The bigger you get the harder you fall.
Old 9th June 2019
  #25
Gear Maniac
There’s more $ in hip hop today than ever has been. Labels are making record profits and it seems like every week there is a new SoundCloud/YouTube artist with a hit.

The $ are not in views or streams. It’s in the shows, merchandising, and the various amounts of endorsements artists are getting from sneaker, clothing, lifestyle, electronics, personal care products, etc. If you have tons of followers on social media you will get $ to push products, etc.

You don’t even need a label anymore to get it moving. But...just putting something online without giving browsers a reason to find/listen to your stuff doesn’t work. That’s why you see so many artists beefing and doing dumb stuff to stand out, gain followers, and hopefully catch the eye of a Vlad, Akademiks, or Adam 22. You don’t have to be a clown and do dumb stuff but in the age of video and social media you have to be interesting. Having music alone is just not enough.

Also, be honest with yourself and ask are you really doing everything possible in your power to make your dream happen and is the music you are doing any good to more than your circle.
Old 10th June 2019
  #26
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut View Post
There’s more $ in hip hop today than ever has been. Labels are making record profits and it seems like every week there is a new SoundCloud/YouTube artist with a hit.

The $ are not in views or streams. It’s in the shows, merchandising, and the various amounts of endorsements artists are getting from sneaker, clothing, lifestyle, electronics, personal care products, etc. If you have tons of followers on social media you will get $ to push products, etc.

You don’t even need a label anymore to get it moving. But...just putting something online without giving browsers a reason to find/listen to your stuff doesn’t work. That’s why you see so many artists beefing and doing dumb stuff to stand out, gain followers, and hopefully catch the eye of a Vlad, Akademiks, or Adam 22. You don’t have to be a clown and do dumb stuff but in the age of video and social media you have to be interesting. Having music alone is just not enough.

Also, be honest with yourself and ask are you really doing everything possible in your power to make your dream happen and is the music you are doing any good to more than your circle.
hell being skilled in only one thing isn't enough for any job anymore. you need a masters, bachelors are saturated. mixers can't just be mixers. they need to be producers. you get what I am saying.
Old 10th June 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
This seems to be your own personnel problem. The best artist (painters, musicians) do their art for their own personnel pleasure gratification, not for someone else's.

They do not do it for their Ego and they do not do crave reactions from others, like you. They do it for the love of it.

You should do things you love and do not do just do things to get reactions from others to feed your ego.

That's my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
This questions tells something about you, if you think about it.

If you're a pop artist, I don't think there's much I can say.

If not…you do it because you love making music. It's that thing that gives you (or at least me) a lot of joy, sense of meaning, fulfilment, satisfies my passion.
It's that flower you water as will give you a lot back.
Sometimes it helps to shed off all the external bull****, take a small break from it…and I swear you'll get back to it because you realize you love it.
I've been in that "is this worth it?" crossroads many times but I always get back after shedding off that BS and I do my best work after that.
Do it for you. Do it for the love of music. Like someone said, artists make it because they have to.
If you feel you don't have to, you can let it go.

I've been a releasing artist for 15 years, always making at least some beer money on the side, and sure enough, it's got more difficult these days.
I've made money from my music but I've never made music *for* money. It slightly supplements my income as a mixing and mastering engineer, and I'm happy about that. I'd make my living from engineering only, but honestly, everything that comes in from the products of pure love feel really good.
If I had tried to become a person who lives off of his productions, I would've experienced some pains at some point.
But now it's more like, I'm happy I've always made music, as there's a lot of if out there, and people play it little by little every month and buy some.

I guess I kind of digress here, but if I had tried and made music for money, that would've resulted in unhappiness, but as I always made it out of joy without thinking about money, ironically it gained me some. If I saw in a crystal ball that it'll gain me zero bucks in the future, I'd still do it with the same undying passion.
Don't get me wrong, I want to agree with this entirely. I also want to have the passion I did before I ever made any money of this. However, I think doing music for monetary reasons (and lets be clear, love aside, you aren't going to make much money if you don't work on the craft strongly) is wrong, and like any job, you often become less productive when you are not inspired about creating change, or doing better, or getting a raise. I felt I got demoted every year pay wise from 2012ish until I had to quit full time.

I never planned on it being my job, I do have love but money really helps you work at your best. I am not saying it is the only motivating factor, but for me, it always helped me push through walls, make everything the way I want to, and put in those long hours that changed something from a good idea to a dope song people actually play regularly. When you hear a song you were credited on while walking to work, or at an intersection, and you don't know them, they don't know you made that, that gives you a lot of inspiration. I am not saying I didn't make those songs with love, but I did it for the money, at least in full, I can't say I made my part specifically for the money, but I was involved with this or that song because of it.

I am just saying, I am with the OP to an extent, I don't like music sitting on my HD, I am still making some money, but not my living off of music, I am doing some personal projects on the strength, because of the love, but I know I would be doing more music, and better music with a paycheck associated with it.

I am not saying I disagree with either, I am just saying that certain things really made me a better artist and one was getting paid and having the responsibility, in my mind, to always get better to get paid better.
Old 10th June 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 

If I got into Music for the Fame & Money alone I would be done a long time ago because it's not there anymore because of the saturation of Rappers, Producers/Beatmakers, Engineers etc..the list goes on. The Money beneficial factors are now streams and even those trying to sell CD's on the streets might as well be vagrants asking for a money so they can buy a meal for the day. It's become a genre not about Talent but rather who's next with the better gimmick and Marketing & Promotional Package on the Commercialized end. I'm sure like most other New Music Producers you had dreams of being big (and you probably accomplished that...) but sometimes you have to step back and realize why you ever got involved in Hip hop oppose just the money factors. For most it's just a passion for when we were growing up as kids with the entire culture of Hip hop we just loved it and wanted to be a part of it and nothing beats composing a Track for a Rapper who's got amazing flow and punchlines that just stick in your head for weeks whether the songs go big and acknowledged by millions or just you and a few others locally. Hip hop it self is addictive if you ask me!..
Old 10th June 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut View Post
There’s more $ in hip hop today than ever has been. Labels are making record profits and it seems like every week there is a new SoundCloud/YouTube artist with a hit.

The $ are not in views or streams. It’s in the shows, merchandising, and the various amounts of endorsements artists are getting from sneaker, clothing, lifestyle, electronics, personal care products, etc. If you have tons of followers on social media you will get $ to push products, etc.

You don’t even need a label anymore to get it moving. But...just putting something online without giving browsers a reason to find/listen to your stuff doesn’t work. That’s why you see so many artists beefing and doing dumb stuff to stand out, gain followers, and hopefully catch the eye of a Vlad, Akademiks, or Adam 22. You don’t have to be a clown and do dumb stuff but in the age of video and social media you have to be interesting. Having music alone is just not enough.

Also, be honest with yourself and ask are you really doing everything possible in your power to make your dream happen and is the music you are doing any good to more than your circle.
More money in hip hop today than ever? LOL. Yeah ok. You're essentially saying making music as a loss leader is the way to success in the "music" business.

I could be way off, and I respect your opinion, but whenever someone makes this type of comment, I wonder if that person has made a living from music and for how long.
Old 10th June 2019
  #30
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
More money in hip hop today than ever? LOL. Yeah ok. You're essentially saying making music as a loss leader is the way to success in the "music" business.

I could be way off, and I respect your opinion, but whenever someone makes this type of comment, I wonder if that person has made a living from music and for how long.
Going on 31 years. Started out at Uncle’s studio at 9 or 10. Him and my aunt were part of a classic r&b group. From there interned at Bad Boy as a teen and moved on in 1995. The artists these days are making more money off shows, sneaker, clothing deals, endorsements, merchandising, social media campaigns, etc. than ever before. They are also invested heavily in tech, startups, and companies such as Lyft and Uber. There is basically no $ in streaming royalties. Labels keep basically all the payouts from the streaming services. The music has become a loss leader to push your brand. It’s all about the brand.

Artists, back in the day as well, never made much $ from record sales. Publishing, yes. But the avenues that are open today are serious money makers. Two trips to Dubai a year can pay off a mortgage or two.

The music has become a loss leader and that trickles down to every one involved in the music making process (producers, engineers, etc.) other than the labels who are getting a combined $20mill a day from streaming services.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump