The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's the Point of Making Hip Hop Anymore
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Maniac

I don't usually hang in this forum but I would like to give my 2 cents:

1 - Stop making beats and start making songs. You are decreasing your sales by not having a radio ready song, but relying on someone else to use your "Beats" in a final production. Instead of 8 bar loops, start using intros, build up tension with layering new parts, create a middle breakdown section that eases the tension then finish with a bang. Don't use the "New hot structures" make your own.

2 - Stop using technology as an excuse. Sure, we all know that there are 14 year olds making bangin tracks with a laptop and Fruityloops.
How many of you are using interesting, home made chord structures? How many are designing your own sounds and your own "Loops". How many are doing something different that will make people say, "Ohhhh sh*t"?

3 - Why does "Making money" have to be Jay-Z rich? I never understood this. I'm not judging everyone, but it seems like a lot of dudes think that making money is living like Drake. Isn't paying the rent or buying food for your kids, making money?

I am a TV/Film composer. I do what I love. I write many genres of music but since this is a Hip Hop board, I will mention that I write tracks for Growing Up Hip Hop, Love and Hip Hop, The Grand Hustle, Black Ink Crew, etc.

I have the same equipment as you guys do, I have the same ear as you guys do and I have the same drive as you guys do. I just do it my way. I don't let the masses tell me how to write a cue.

BTW, I love what I do, I make money from what I do and I am not rich.

Peace.
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefaz View Post
Why focalize on mainstream then? Isn't any choice to look elsewhere? I know new technology can make us lazy, but come on it's not that hard to discover new talented artists, listenning to some DJ's playlist from non mainstream radio, even Youtube has some content worth digging. Ok, I know not every people are inclined to take time with music, but here it's pro audio forum isn't it?
I was talking to a DJ friend of mine about this. Both of us felt it's become exhausting finding the few gems amidst the trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Scott View Post
...I am a TV/Film composer. I do what I love. I write many genres of music but since this is a Hip Hop board, I will mention that I write tracks for Growing Up Hip Hop, Love and Hip Hop, The Grand Hustle, Black Ink Crew, etc...
Sweet!
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
First off I want to say that I love producing music and recording. However, lately I feel like what's the point anymore. If you look on Youtube, music videos get the lowest engagement compared to lame videos like talk shows, top 10 lists, and animal videos. The average music video gets $16k views. Only a small top tier group of artists get millions of views.

I see Hip Hop groups putting out amazing music with incredible videos getting 10k views. Music sales are all but dead and streaming pays next to nothing anymore. People don't seem to appreciate music - especially the younger generations. Everyone who has a laptop thinks they can make amazing beats. Everyone thinks they can rap but the truth is only a small elite can actually do it at a top tier level.

I love making music just to do it but I also do it to see some feedback and appreciation for all your efforts. Musicians like interacting with others and watching what they create have an impact. Now, even albums like Pete Rock's SP1200 album is all but ignored except for a small select few.

So I ask - what is the point anymore if people don't care, people barely listen (even to well known groups - IE. Erick Sermon's latest album), and devote their time to other things outside of music.

Yes, you can make your own music and do it for your own ego but I enjoy doing it so people get enjoyment out of it and like seeing the interaction. If some of the best artists can't even demand attention, why bother anymore?
Do you make music for others or as a means of self expression?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Scott View Post
I don't usually hang in this forum but I would like to give my 2 cents:

1 - Stop making beats and start making songs. You are decreasing your sales by not having a radio ready song, but relying on someone else to use your "Beats" in a final production. Instead of 8 bar loops, start using intros, build up tension with layering new parts, create a middle breakdown section that eases the tension then finish with a bang. Don't use the "New hot structures" make your own.

2 - Stop using technology as an excuse. Sure, we all know that there are 14 year olds making bangin tracks with a laptop and Fruityloops.
How many of you are using interesting, home made chord structures? How many are designing your own sounds and your own "Loops". How many are doing something different that will make people say, "Ohhhh sh*t"?

3 - Why does "Making money" have to be Jay-Z rich? I never understood this. I'm not judging everyone, but it seems like a lot of dudes think that making money is living like Drake. Isn't paying the rent or buying food for your kids, making money?

I am a TV/Film composer. I do what I love. I write many genres of music but since this is a Hip Hop board, I will mention that I write tracks for Growing Up Hip Hop, Love and Hip Hop, The Grand Hustle, Black Ink Crew, etc.

I have the same equipment as you guys do, I have the same ear as you guys do and I have the same drive as you guys do. I just do it my way. I don't let the masses tell me how to write a cue.

BTW, I love what I do, I make money from what I do and I am not rich.

Peace.
I honestly couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 4 weeks ago
Hip Hop has matured in the commercial/industrial world; like every other cultural niché it's been it's been exploited by 'the man' - demonised, appropriated, corporatised, traumatised, stripped bare until it's soul is sucked out by too many hypnotic repeats in detergent commercials. Musak-ised.

What's the point of making hip hop anymore?

Despite the hubris of corporatisation, the essence of hip hop - on the street, the underground, the bars and clubs, the car, the bus, the homes, the workplaces, the college dorms and teenage bedrooms, in your headphones on the commute - is still real, pure, and ready to be expressed. That's the point of making hip hop. Like a drum that wants to be played.

Sure, you can make more money from sneakers but you still need the essence of hip hop to make the commodity fetishism seem plausible.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I'm not tryin to be discouraging here, but it's been 10 years-

I Think I'm Done

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear...-****-now.html

A Career In Music - Reality Check

Rap & Hip Hop = Old Steel Industry

Anyone Actually Making Money Right Now?

I mean, it's just a really long time to beat your head against the same wall and expect something different to happen no?

Do it for the love! Or don't. I'm no shrink, and I don't know you personally, but I can't imagine that this is a good look for anyone. Wish you the best, nothing personal...I haven't even dropped by the Rap + Hip Hop section in a long time and it's like deja vu all over again.
Lol. Keep doing the same **** expecting something to change
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0mega View Post
That's considered the definition of insanity.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0mega View Post
That's considered the definition of insanity.
Nah that's just a saying that somehow caught on, origins unclear but first seen in print in a mystery novel released in the 80s.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ition-insanity
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Nah that's just a saying that somehow caught on, origins unclear but first seen in print in a mystery novel released in the 80s.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ition-insanity
Right, but the phrase is meant to be taken tongue-in-cheek, not literally.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

From my research the money & engagement is in touring my man.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hip-hop is dead. I find myself enjoying old housemusic now more than the ****e that is now presumably "hip-hop".
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

You sound like a hater to be honest. You’re stuck in the past. This isn’t the 90s anymore no one is listening to Erick sermon or Pete rock. It’s a different game right now. The youth runs the game and that’s just the way it is. If you can’t keep up with the trends and changes of hip hop then you’re for sure not going to make a living off of it. Just look at mike dean. Perfect example of someone keeping up with the trends and changes throughout the decades and I’m sure he’s living very comfortable. If you’re not willing to adapt or evolve with the times and embrace the new technology then stop complaining and accept that you’re not going to make a living off of this. Do it because you genuinely enjoy the process of creating.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by march View Post
You sound like a hater to be honest. You’re stuck in the past. This isn’t the 90s anymore no one is listening to Erick sermon or Pete rock. It’s a different game right now. The youth runs the game and that’s just the way it is. If you can’t keep up with the trends and changes of hip hop then you’re for sure not going to make a living off of it. Just look at mike dean. Perfect example of someone keeping up with the trends and changes throughout the decades and I’m sure he’s living very comfortable. If you’re not willing to adapt or evolve with the times and embrace the new technology then stop complaining and accept that you’re not going to make a living off of this. Do it because you genuinely enjoy the process of creating.
I like Erick Sermon's last record. I listened to it today.
Old 2 weeks ago
I make it because I like it and it can be fun to make. I simply like making music that I want to hear. Why else would you make art?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
I like Erick Sermon's last record. I listened to it today.
And that’s fine. I’m not knocking old hip hop or the old heads... trust me I grew up on 90s/early 2000s hip hop but I also have an open mind and embrace the new wave. All I’m saying is that if you’re not going to embrace the new wave or the new technology and have a closed mind then don’t complain when you’re not making money off your music.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Main @ march thing I hate about the old heads is they couldn't tell a youngster what exactly they don't like about the current wave regarding their music and many old heads have amnesia as to what they may have pushed negatively in their music no different than today's youth.
Old 2 weeks ago
Really, you can make $100,000 a year from Hip Hop if you are willing to work.

Most acts only want to record and chill. You have to go out there and perform for people. Hip hop acts don’t even dance anymore. Where is the song-and-dance combination to get people interested?

So if you are going to be lazy, yeah, it’s a done deal for a career.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by march View Post
It’s a different game right now. The youth runs the game and that’s just the way it is. If you can’t keep up with the trends and changes of hip hop then you’re for sure not going to make a living off of it.
I feel like this has always been the case in almost any genre. At the end of the day, music is firmly planted in youth culture. That goes double for prevalent genres like hip hop, pop and EDM. I mean just look at the rise of any genre that came along during the 20th century. Hip hop wasn't started by a bunch of old guys/gals, just like rock n roll, techno, punk and all the various forms of metal weren't started by a bunch of old guys. In fact, old guys only get involved when they see the dollars coming in.

Sincerely,

An old guy
Old 2 weeks ago
The “old heads” arguments are very one-sided.

Hip hop is very much alive and well, and there is something for everyone willing to look past the radio.

Commercial success and making great music often times don’t follow each other either.

The problems I have with current hip hop artists is that their music and rapping has changed significantly but hasn’t moved forward technically.

Top 40 Instrumentals have gotten better. More variety and the use of original music over samples more often. Less repetitive, and more structured songs.

Rappers otoh... the lyricism has been replaced with a catchy hook. It’s almost like de-evolution to the days when rappers were MCs and the breaks were still disco... but with more emphasis on materialism and less respect for poetry. It’s gotten back to its roots in the worst possible way.

But that’s only on the radio. In NY, there is still a vibrant and talented and eclectic underground scene with something for everyone. Hit up some of the hookah bars in Alphabet or Harlem on an open mic night.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Make music that speaks to something in you. If you don't like the music that's out, make what you would make if you had a global audience. Make what you think is missing.
100%, This is the realest reason to make music. If you do not have this mentality, you are doing it wrong.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think there needs to be a novel alternative in hip-hop. Most golden-era heads aren't genuinely saying that **** has to sound like it did 30 years ago, or whatever; I think most of us that grew up in the golden era legitimately want to hear progression and evolution in hip-hop, that pushes beyond what artists were doing back then. And OF COURSE, technology has evolved since then. Nobody needs an SP-1200 or an MPC and a stack of vinyl to sample in order to make real hip-hop. The deeper issue is mainly that the rhyming skills of the most popular **** nowadays is worse/more basic than ****ing nursery rhymes. And ALL of the ****ing beats that are now mainly electronic, ALL SOUND THE ****ING SAME. Everyone is using the exact same formulas, the same ****ing 808 drum machine, etc. I don't see any genuine progression/evolution in either rhyming or the music itself, other than the song-structures and sound-design of contemporary hip-hop essentially follow the stereotypical pop formula. And that's the ****ing antithesis of what hip-hop was originally built upon! Hip-hop music needs a novel, progressive alternative to what's actually popular right now. Something with progressive, intelligent rhymes, and progressive beats that aren't straight out of the pop music formula playbook. This **** reminds me of the political divide between republicans and democrats; except in this scenario, the roles are entirely reversed: The golden-age heads are the ****ing republicans (conservatives), and the new school dudes are the democrats (progressives). The problem is, there's nothing left to actually conserve. Progress is inevitable. Yet, the people making the so-called-progress are simply not making anything truly progressive (in fact, a lot of it is regressive in many ways). I think it's time to burn down the entire system and start anew. We all need a legitimately new, 3rd party to be able to mutually push forward together. Let's take the knowledge, wisdom, experience, and artistry of the old-school golden-era, and combine that **** with the newer generations' progressive necessity and fresh outlook/experience and create something entirely inclusive and novel for everyone.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This @ atma is where I'm at w/Hip Hop and the older I became the phrase real Hip-Hop became grating to me 'cause it came from East Coast heads who were fiercely geo-parochial about the music and/or culture surrounding it. I actually like in today's era that Hip Hop can be composed w/o a stack of vinyl, MPC, etc.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveSampling View Post
Hip-hop is dead. I find myself enjoying old housemusic now more than the ****e that is now presumably "hip-hop".
I just dig through the crates on youtube, there is plenty of fire hip hop 90% of never had one play on the radio. Pro tip, when you start seeing nothing but records as thumbnails on the right side, you are doing it right.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
First off I want to say that I love producing music and recording. However, lately I feel like what's the point anymore. If you look on Youtube, music videos get the lowest engagement compared to lame videos like talk shows, top 10 lists, and animal videos. The average music video gets $16k views. Only a small top tier group of artists get millions of views.

I see Hip Hop groups putting out amazing music with incredible videos getting 10k views. Music sales are all but dead and streaming pays next to nothing anymore. People don't seem to appreciate music - especially the younger generations. Everyone who has a laptop thinks they can make amazing beats. Everyone thinks they can rap but the truth is only a small elite can actually do it at a top tier level.

I love making music just to do it but I also do it to see some feedback and appreciation for all your efforts. Musicians like interacting with others and watching what they create have an impact. Now, even albums like Pete Rock's SP1200 album is all but ignored except for a small select few.

So I ask - what is the point anymore if people don't care, people barely listen (even to well known groups - IE. Erick Sermon's latest album), and devote their time to other things outside of music.

Yes, you can make your own music and do it for your own ego but I enjoy doing it so people get enjoyment out of it and like seeing the interaction. If some of the best artists can't even demand attention, why bother anymore?
The problem isn't the industry.....the problem is between your legs....build it (Properly) and they will come,

Stop making ball-less tripe, stop taking your cues from industry invented "Stars" who would be eaten ALIVE had they appeared in front of live audiences who weren't pre-conditioned to regard them as "Good" (They aren't, that's why nobody thinks the records are worth buying)

Put down the butter knife and make something that can DRAW BLOOD..and understand, you may call it hip-hop, I may call it Punk-Rock and at the end of the day, it's only Rock n' Roll anyway...but if it doesn't leave a footprint on your ass (In whichever way it's intended to be effective, doesn't have to be angry or "Hard" It just needs to do whatever its intended to do WELL) then it probably shouldn't have gotten off the porch in the first palce...I leave you with the following, as a "Bar setter"[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R5Vu1kpSdc[YOUTUBE]

Make something like that, people will BUY IT.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

edit-damn thats making me feel old...move along now,nothing to see here!!!!!!!!!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
The problem isn't the industry.....the problem is between your legs....build it (Properly) and they will come,

Stop making ball-less tripe, stop taking your cues from industry invented "Stars" who would be eaten ALIVE had they appeared in front of live audiences who weren't pre-conditioned to regard them as "Good" (They aren't, that's why nobody thinks the records are worth buying)

Put down the butter knife and make something that can DRAW BLOOD..and understand, you may call it hip-hop, I may call it Punk-Rock and at the end of the day, it's only Rock n' Roll anyway...but if it doesn't leave a footprint on your ass (In whichever way it's intended to be effective, doesn't have to be angry or "Hard" It just needs to do whatever its intended to do WELL) then it probably shouldn't have gotten off the porch in the first palce...I leave you with the following, as a "Bar setter"[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R5Vu1kpSdc[YOUTUBE]

Make something like that, people will BUY IT.
** Fixed your link **

BTW, I don't buy any music these days. I stream everything. Sorry, people aren't going to buy music anymore.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
** Fixed your link **

BTW, I don't buy any music these days. I stream everything. Sorry, people aren't going to buy music anymore.
I don't know anyone who actually does buy music anymore.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search