The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai should reissue some classic MPCs. Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Akai should reissue some classic MPCs.

IMHO if Akai brought back some of the classic MPCs that would be the best thing since sliced bread.

And it would probably start raining money over Akai headquarters.

There's a huge community and market for those old MPCs.

My choice for what model to bring back would be:
2000XL, 1000 and 2500

Which MPC would you like to see reissued?


If you like the idea of Akai bringing back those legacy MPCs please take 1 minute out of your day and vote / comment on this thread on the official Akai forum:

https://getsatisfaction.com/akai_pro...-1000-2500-etc

- Send Akai an email or message through social media to spread the word. -


I feel like if we can get together and show that there's a high demand and big community that wants those legacy MPCs back then we can get something moving.

Lets go.

Peace.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Lando Calrissian's Avatar
Most of these old MPCs are still in good shape and relatively cheap on the used market. Akai would have to update the storage capabilities and USB interfaces on these old machines. This would not be easy to do. Not sure they'd make much of a profit from this. The sound characteristics weren't that special on the 2000, 1000, or 2500.

However, if they made an actual reissue of the MPC 3000 or 60 with the same ADDA and updated storage and OS, I'd be all over it. Most people won't though.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando Calrissian View Post

However, if they made an actual reissue of the MPC 3000 or 60 with the same ADDA and updated storage and OS, I'd be all over it. Most people won't though.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Nut
They should reissue the MPC 4000 plenty of profit there.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

This idea is crazy....The thing that made those MPC's special was the older tech they were using,the limitations created a kind of character.There's no going 'back' to that imo.
Quote:
The sound characteristics weren't that special on the 2000, 1000, or 2500.
Ive just re bought the 2000 classic (was my first MPC so...) and its my favorite sounding sampler now and ive had many many........The pitching and filtering have a certain timbre i really like.That being said i also just closed out on a cheap MPC live i will run along side it.Ha

Quote:
They should reissue the MPC 4000 plenty of profit there.
A mini MPC4000 i would buy!!!
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
defo would be up for a mpc3000 or mpc60
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando Calrissian View Post
Most of these old MPCs are still in good shape and relatively cheap on the used market. Akai would have to update the storage capabilities and USB interfaces on these old machines. This would not be easy to do. Not sure they'd make much of a profit from this. The sound characteristics weren't that special on the 2000, 1000, or 2500.

However, if they made an actual reissue of the MPC 3000 or 60 with the same ADDA and updated storage and OS, I'd be all over it. Most people won't though.
550$ for a used MPC 1000 is not cheap in my book. Maybe compared to their original price.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
This idea is crazy....The thing that made those MPC's special was the older tech they were using,the limitations created a kind of character.There's no going 'back' to that imo.
Id be damned if its impossible to reverse engineer 90s tech. And Akai doesnt even need to reverse engineer. They got the blueprints.

I disagree with your statement that its not possible to go back to that. Imo its easy and I see more and more companies revert to hardware.

To each his own.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post
IMHO if Akai brought back some of the classic MPCs that would be the best thing since sliced bread.

And it would probably start raining money over Akai headquarters.

There's a huge community and market for those old MPCs.

My choice for what model to bring back would be:
2000XL, 1000 and 2500

Which MPC would you like to see reissued?

IMO, these are the least interesting ones, the 1000 and 2500 are not even classic MPC's.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post
Id be damned if its impossible to reverse engineer 90s tech. And Akai doesnt even need to reverse engineer. They got the blueprints.

I disagree with your statement that its not possible to go back to that. Imo its easy and I see more and more companies revert to hardware.

To each his own.
have you seen the guy who's cloning the SP1200?
he's all on his own and he's pretty close.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
This idea is crazy....The thing that made those MPC's special was the older tech they were using,the limitations created a kind of character.There's no going 'back' to that imo.


Ive just re bought the 2000 classic (was my first MPC so...) and its my favorite sounding sampler now and ive had many many........The pitching and filtering have a certain timbre i really like.That being said i also just closed out on a cheap MPC live i will run along side it.Ha



A mini MPC4000 i would buy!!!
The MPC 4000 i just straight up an amazing sequencer. The reason I own two has nothing to do with nostalgia, or the way it sounds.
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
The MPC 4000 i just straight up an amazing sequencer. The reason I own two has nothing to do with nostalgia, or the way it sounds.
I know.It was my machine of choice for a long time.

Quote:
be damned if its impossible to reverse engineer 90s tech. And Akai doesnt even need to reverse engineer. They got the blueprints.

I disagree with your statement that its not possible to go back to that. Imo its easy and I see more and more companies revert to hardware.
Maybe they can hit that vibe with a new product but they always end up sounding all clean and modern.Which is why i will be running my soon to arrive Live with the 2000 OG and the Sp404.The devil is in the detail

edit-I have an urge to go back to my 90s producer roots vibewise.And mix that with the dynamic sound of today.This idea of doing everything with plugins itb does nothing for my motivation.I think 50/50 is the right % for me.Anyway i love buying old gears for cheap !!!!!!
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 

EMU stands for Emulator..... Maybe we will end up emulating the emulators.Freaky
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
IMO, these are the least interesting ones, the 1000 and 2500 are not even classic MPC's.
Well, to me they are special but it doesnt matter if my choice is different from others. Id be happy if other models get reissued too.

Let Akai know tho if you support the cause. Every vote/supporter counts.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
have you seen the guy who's cloning the SP1200?
he's all on his own and he's pretty close.
Yea, I read about that.
Maybe we can pursuade him to build MPC clones. jk
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post
Well, to me they are special but it doesnt matter if my choice is different from others. Id be happy if other models get reissued too.

Let Akai know tho if you support the cause. Every vote/supporter counts.
don't get me wrong, i use a 2500 almost every day, Akai OS.
it's easy to use and has just enough features for my needs.
but the sound is nothing special, the sequencer craps out pretty easy with a high track count and the individual outs are noisy.

i'd rather like to see a new standalone MPC.
a real studio tool like the 4000, not a flimsy flat lightweight toy.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
I know.It was my machine of choice for a long time.



Maybe they can hit that vibe with a new product but they always end up sounding all clean and modern.Which is why i will be running my soon to arrive Live with the 2000 OG and the Sp404.The devil is in the detail

edit-I have an urge to go back to my 90s producer roots vibewise.And mix that with the dynamic sound of today.This idea of doing everything with plugins itb does nothing for my motivation.I think 50/50 is the right % for me.Anyway i love buying old gears for cheap !!!!!!

Im a firm believer in if it aint broke dont fix it. New product that resembles classic MPCs would be cool but isnt the X exactly that?

I really want those legacy MPCs back. Reissuing should mean less development costs. Even if they had to implement USB connectivity they would probably save some bucks and make profit.
Right now the vintage hardware market is gaining traction. Should be the right time for sth like a reissue.

Cool setup I hope to get my hands on an SP404 some day.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg View Post
defo would be up for a mpc3000 or mpc60
Cool. 3000 and the 60 are dope too.

Let Akai know, man! Right now Im standing here alone in the rain.
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post
Cool. 3000 and the 60 are dope too.

Let Akai know, man! Right now Im standing here alone in the rain.
Its because many people want them to concentrate on the new line.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Its because many people want them to concentrate on the new line.
I dont know. There are many people on YouTube channels and stuff that feel like me.

When I made that hardware poll a while ago Legacy MPCs came out on top regarding number of users.

I mean people can have/like their X or Live and still support bringing the old ones back. Knowing gear heads I bet a lot of peeps will get both at some point.

Its not an either or issue at all.

Hope to see more support tho.
Old 1 week ago
  #21
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post
Cool. 3000 and the 60 are dope too.

Let Akai know, man! Right now Im standing here alone in the rain.
sometimes u gotta stand in the rain on ur jax bro

yes the 3 k looks amazing and sounds amazing but do u really wann go back to them big ass heavy ass machines? and that old ass user interface?

i love the filter and the a/d converters but i like the modern workflow of the live right now
Old 1 week ago
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg View Post
sometimes u gotta stand in the rain on ur jax bro

yes the 3 k looks amazing and sounds amazing but do u really wann go back to them big ass heavy ass machines? and that old ass user interface?

i love the filter and the a/d converters but i like the modern workflow of the live right now
I make music with them. I prefer my MPC to sound great then being pretty and well organised in the user interface side of things.

If a MPC 3K in 2020 mean the sound quality of a 3K with the usability and features of a 4K, I'll be screaming take my money on the first day its released.
Old 1 week ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
BezowinZ's Avatar
Ehh, I'd prefer they focus on making current MPCs better. Whatever can be done via updates, do that. When new hardware is needed, issue the Live & X MK2.

The X should be a better version of the 4K (not familiar with the 5K). The Live should be the same with less buttons, knobs & I/O. I know the company changed hands, but they didn't continue from where they left off.

Maybe they could officially refurbish older units though the new ownership may not be capable. I don't think the market is as big as folks think. The new models are even a niche market. If you're a classic MPC head, you'll be more aware of like minded folks and it may seem like a lot.
Old 1 week ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Lando Calrissian's Avatar
Keep in mind, many of our favorite producers who made me fall in love with the classic MPCs have since abandoned them.

Kanye, Black Milk, 9th Wonder...

Their music sounds just as good on the new machines.
Old 1 week ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando Calrissian View Post
Keep in mind, many of our favorite producers who made me fall in love with the classic MPCs have since abandoned them.

Kanye, Black Milk, 9th Wonder...

Their music sounds just as good on the new machines.
Where are they now?ITB?

Id imagine that most folks rearrange great sound libraries on there daw using great plugs ectect.You can just lounge there with a mouse blazing away............
Old 1 week ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 
BezowinZ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Where are they now?ITB?

Id imagine that most folks rearrange great sound libraries on there daw using great plugs ectect.You can just lounge there with a mouse blazing away............
I think I remember seeing 9th in a vid on one of the newer MPCs.

Not sure if he actually uses it or something newer, but Preemo was in vids with the Renaissance a while back.
Old 1 week ago
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando Calrissian View Post
Keep in mind, many of our favorite producers who made me fall in love with the classic MPCs have since abandoned them.

Kanye, Black Milk, 9th Wonder...

Their music sounds just as good on the new machines.
I see Kanye on his ASR-10 everytime I see him do is Sunday thingy...

Saw premier saying everybodys surprised hes still on his MPC60 everytime they come hit him up for a beat at his studio.

Not sure that Dre droped all his MPC 3000 suddenly neither.

Pete Rock just released an album of his old SP-1200 beats.

Not sure your statement is totaly accurate.

Last edited by Martel80; 1 week ago at 06:20 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Lando Calrissian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Where are they now?ITB?

Id imagine that most folks rearrange great sound libraries on there daw using great plugs ectect.You can just lounge there with a mouse blazing away............
I’ve seen them all using the MPC Live and Touch. Kanye at least does drums or ASR-10 sequencing with an MPC Live. Black Milk uses the Touch. 9th is on Maschine.

I guess it’s possible that they all go back to the classics from time to time.
Old 1 week ago
  #29
Lives for gear
 
BezowinZ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando Calrissian View Post
...9th is on Maschine...
Ahh, it was Maschine I saw him on, not an MPC.
Old 1 week ago
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Lando Calrissian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I see Kanye on his ASR-10 everytime I see him is Sunday thingy...
Peep that MPC Live on top of his ASR towards the end of the video.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Saw premier saying everybodys surprised hes still on his MPC60 everytime they come it up for a beat at his studio.

Not sure that Dre droped all his MPC 3000 suddenly neither.

Pete Rock just released an album of his old SP-1200 beats.

Not sure your statement is totaly accurate.
I was only talking about Ye, Black Milk, and 9th. I purposely didn't mention Dre or Pete.

Last edited by Lando Calrissian; 1 week ago at 06:39 PM..
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
wallyburger / So Much Gear, So Little Time
0
sctt_stone / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
28
The Press Desk / Product Alerts older than 2 months
0
Jamz / So Many Guitars, So Little Time
8

Forum Jump
Forum Jump