The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Akai should reissue some classic MPCs.
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tonsplash View Post
I was told Akai was working on OS 2 for the MPC 4000 before the company was sold.

Akai should finish OS 2 and sell the upgrade.
Cosign!!
They need to make this happen!
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouphome View Post
Cosign!!
They also made a sampler plugin that never was released. I'd like to get my hands on that.
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tonsplash View Post
I was told Akai was working on OS 2 for the MPC 4000 before the company was sold.

Akai should finish OS 2 and sell the upgrade.
Do me a favor, start a new thread and let’s get some traction to get them to release that I’m willing to pay. The thing is dam near perfect it just need a faster way to get the samples in there. The old software is not supported anymore with my updated OS X.
Old 5th September 2019
Here for the gear

Yeah, I love all of the clones and re-issues. I would love a new Akai MPC60 that looks like an old one. Or any of those classic MPCs.

Do it Akai! Celebrate your history.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouphome View Post
Cosign!!
This sounds like something only JJ might be willing/able to fulfill for people. Akai itself will never have any vested interest in this.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I already have an MPC. And apart from the 60 and 3000 there are plenty MPCs on the used market at good prices too. I fail to see what would be gained by reissuing old MPCs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Oh heavens no. Those dinosaurs are dying a slow but necessary death. Too many limitations with storage and workflow for me. I have all of the MPC drums I need in Wav. format and can make all the boom nap I need in my DAW.

Nice, clean, and polished music with a nostalgic feel. Most people can’t even tell the difference anyway. Those that do know the difference are going to complain about whatever anyway.

On to the future!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
I already have an MPC. And apart from the 60 and 3000 there are plenty MPCs on the used market at good prices too. I fail to see what would be gained by reissuing old MPCs.
Agreed. There is no business case to this at all. Building these old machines to the original specs would result in 1980s computer technology being sold for 2-3 grand? This is the sort of move that would put a company out of business. The Part count of the old MPCs is easily 5x what goes into the new MPCs. A 50 dollar Raspberry Pi has 10x+ the processing power of the old MPCs. Something along the lines of Isla SP-2400 or the LowHiss project makes sense today, where you can get that classic vibe, but still have modern hardware and connectivity.

To those of you who want a brand new MPC 60/3000, what is it about that box that you feel isn't served by the new MPCs built today?
Old 3 weeks ago
I’m about to buy a Maschine, put it in storage, and wait 30 years to sell it. I bet I’ll triple my money. And people will complain about how all of the new stuff out 30 years from now doesn’t have the “soul” of the old Maschine!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
I’m about to buy a Maschine, put it in storage, and wait 30 years to sell it. I bet I’ll triple my money. And people will complain about how all of the new stuff out 30 years from now doesn’t have the “soul” of the old Maschine!
After the storage bill is paid, you won't break even.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
After the storage bill is paid, you won't break even.
Storage = attic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Storage = attic.
I forgot the smiley face. Put some mints in the box, and advertise it as "In mint condition" lol.

Last edited by IM WHO YOU THINK; 3 weeks ago at 01:50 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post

To those of you who want a brand new MPC 60/3000, what is it about that box that you feel isn't served by the new MPCs built today?
The sound and feel.
Old 3 weeks ago
There are a bunch on the used market with the sound and feel you're missing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
The sound and feel.
What feel? What sound?

Last edited by TRSC; 3 weeks ago at 10:50 PM.. Reason: need to know
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Storage = attic.
Don't forget to put a laptop or computer in storage with it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Don't forget to put a laptop or computer in storage with it.
Oh yeah.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

classic MPCs require made in Japan.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
What feel? What sound?
The sound of gears before they became plastic boxes to house the software.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
There are a bunch on the used market with the sound and feel you're missing.
Im not really missing anything here (MPC2000,Ensoniq ASR X,MPC1000 ect) Except maybe some 12/8 bit action.But ive got a Korg volca sample for some of that which im yet to delve into much.Using the MPC 2.6 sw quite a lot.Got some good fast features.I often use the samplers for there pre-amps only when recording into the comp.
Old 3 weeks ago
I started ITB in 1996 and went back to the 3K and ASR sound . Thats how I do my music nowadays but in total honesty, I'd need to agree with those that says that nowaday music is made with a computer or computer alike controler. I'm into Rap samplish type of music and the latest records i've heard from the past 5 years kept the feel of the old Boom bap but brought something very clean that is still very very nice and desirable imo.

It doesnt mean I'm willing to sell my 3k , my old console and my reel to reel but I strongly believe that nowadays production start and end ITB. The only part that goes OTB is the mixing and mastering part. And id be pointing out only the biggest records released and not the whole minor league release scene.

I think this whole MPC music related scene is a bit the same in other genre that doesnt need such color to make it through ( in fact it never did, it was just a tool that they happened to use). and when I say that I'm thinking about vocal assisted singer in the pop scene with those pitch shifter for singers to dance their arse off. Or prerecorded drums or guitar tracks in rock shows.

Like someone pointed out, some of us can tell when something doesnt sound in the pocket but for the most, its not even a concern as they embrace the new technology and I must say that I can respect that just as much as someone that never produced a record can respect the fact that we created our music without the ease of a mouse and an auto EQ auto compress auto de ess auto tune auto scale auto rythm maker and auto glitch software.

They are on Auto mode and they can do all sort of crazy stuff in less time it take us to make an all manual pretty simple loop type of beat.

The huge difference ( for people that pay attention) is really the feel and the sound but like I said in the beginning...its not important nowadays ( and I actually believe it might've never been, it always was just an extra feature from an artist ).
Old 3 weeks ago
Talking about that, look what I just found :

Mind blown.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
The sound of gears before they became plastic boxes to house the software.
I wish I coulda heard the 60 and 3000 for myself so I would know why they are so revered after so long. I know the craftsmanship was superb- Linn's name on the box certainly doesn't devalue it lol. The physical feel? I definitely prefer aluminum over plastic any day. Were the 60 and 3000 front panels aluminum? All I know is that they certainly look dope- especially that Linn SE. I almost bought it on CL...probably should have. Don't rub it in please

Last edited by Bender412; 3 weeks ago at 06:52 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
I wish I coulda heard the 60 and 3000 for myself so I would know why they are so revered after so long. I know the craftsmanship was superb- Linn's name on the box certainly doesn't devalue it lol. The physical feel? I definitely prefer aluminum over plastic any day. Were the 60 and 3000 front panels aluminum? All I know is that they certainly look dope- especially that Linn SE. I almost bought it on CL...probably should have . Don't rub it in please
All i know is from my experience is that the big older boxes usually have an interesting sound to them.Mind you the TB303\101 ect were small plastic boxes and sounded great too

Last edited by Bender412; 3 weeks ago at 06:52 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
All i know is from my experience is that the big older boxes usually have an interesting sound to them.
That's what I've heard from a lot of owners
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Owning a bunch of MPCs I feel really the mpc3000 and the mpc60 are what I would consider classic - mostly for the sound with honourable mention of the Mpc 2000xl which I know many used but sounds a bit thin to me compared to the others.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search