The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai should reissue some classic MPCs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
MPC re-issues with an analog filter on every I/O (Routable back to the input for resampling) a global 3-band analog EQ and two VCA's that make up VERY subtle analog drive stage....

I'd buy the F%$K out of that...

....Especially if they called it "The MPC Wolf"

Growl knob = NON NEGOTIABLE
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando Calrissian View Post
Peep that MPC Live on top of his ASR towards the end of the video.

I was only talking about Ye, Black Milk, and 9th. I purposely didn't mention Dre or Pete.
I was answering that sentence of yours :
""Keep in mind, many of our favorite producers who made me fall in love with the classic MPCs have since abandoned them.''

Again, not sure your statement is totally accurate.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I was answering that sentence of yours :
""Keep in mind, many of our favorite producers who made me fall in love with the classic MPCs have since abandoned them.''

Again, not sure your statement is totally accurate.
Ok, that's fair. I should have used a different word besides "abandoned." I wasn't trying to be that absolute in my original statement. I've seen Kanye, 9th, and Black Milk in videos using modern MPCs, but I wasn't there for those sessions, so one can never be sure.

Is there a hardware sample renaissance on the way? I just repaired my old MPC-1000 and also refurbished an ASR-10. It seems like I'm not alone...

The ASR feels primitive compared to using my Serato Sample, but I use it to get that sound.

I use the MPC-1000 (JJOS1) because I know it like the back of my hand. Not much special about that sound though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Is there a hardware sample renaissance on the way? I just repaired my old MPC-1000 and also refurbished an ASR-10. It seems like I'm not alone...

The ASR feels primitive compared to using my Serato Sample, but I use it to get that sound.
Oh, youre definitely not alone, man.

Thats the whole point of this thread. I know theres a lot of people who would like that classic hardware back.
But I guess most mpc heads arent really gear heads that dwell on gearslutz like we do.

Regarding known producers abandoning old MPCs. Im not really concerned with what they do and use. If some DJs ditch Vinyl & TTs for controllers that doesnt mean vinyl is not cool anymore. Everybody has their own thing and preferences.

But ay, like I said and will say a 100 times: Vote on that Akai thread and let Akai know if you support the idea.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I know its a clique but the quirks and the warmth are worth there weight in gold imo....

Quote:
I use the MPC-1000 (JJOS1) because I know it like the back of my hand. Not much special about that sound though.
They give a nice,dry flat simple sound which is lacking in sw and the newer MPC's.Again something else......I would record synth impros into mine,put across the pads and sit back and listen to them.Definitely some warmth there.I know im in the minority haha.....Plus these little boxes really kick out some loudness.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I don’t think MPC fans and gearslutz intersect that much. Crickets when I mention the MPC 4000 in any thread.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg View Post
sometimes u gotta stand in the rain on ur jax bro

yes the 3 k looks amazing and sounds amazing but do u really wann go back to them big ass heavy ass machines? and that old ass user interface?

i love the filter and the a/d converters but i like the modern workflow of the live right now
Tbh, yes.

I want to go back to that time. Look at how simple the design and functionality of the SP404 is. And people love it. Same with those MPCs for me.

I mean a reissue doesnt mean they have to build it exactly as they did back then.

Materialwise they can probably make them for a lot less and with higher quality.

It would be smart by Akai to cater to multiple types of customers by broadening their MPC catalogue and reducing these short lived controllers that get abandoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
I don’t think MPC fans and gearslutz intersect that much. Crickets when I mention the MPC 4000 in any thread.
Yea, you’re probably right. Before posting I thought people would go wild, marching in the streets, arms locked, chanting for Akai to give us those great MPCs of the past back.

But... I was wrong.

Id bet tho if Akai really came thru with a reissue that it would be major gear news and even the EDM people would jump in on it.

Maybe I need to post this somewhere else. When you go on YouTube there is definitely evidence that old MPCs are still held in high regards and have a big following... so, I guess right time wrong place here.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post
Tbh, yes.

I want to go back to that time. Look at how simple the design and functionality of the SP404 is. And people love it. Same with those MPCs for me.

I mean a reissue doesnt mean they have to build it exactly as they did back then.

Materialwise they can probably make them for a lot less and with higher quality.

It would be smart by Akai to cater to multiple types of customers by broadening their MPC catalogue and reducing these short lived controllers that get abandoned.

Yea, you’re probably right. Before posting I thought people would go wild, marching in the streets, arms locked, chanting for Akai to give us those great MPCs of the past back.

But... I was wrong.

Id bet tho if Akai really came thru with a reissue that it would be major gear news and even the EDM people would jump in on it.

Maybe I need to post this somewhere else. When you go on YouTube there is definitely evidence that old MPCs are still held in high regards and have a big following... so, I guess right time wrong place here.
welp sp404 has been successful in a market where there is not many alternative options im sure in a market that had more options people would b more demanding of roland.

also the 404 is a lot simpler to use than the old mpcs
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Ok, that's fair. I should have used a different word besides "abandoned." I wasn't trying to be that absolute in my original statement. I've seen Kanye, 9th, and Black Milk in videos using modern MPCs, but I wasn't there for those sessions, so one can never be sure.

I know my favorite producer No I.D. now only use Ableton.

I know Evil dee from the beatminerz use a renaissance and the akai software.( or was it Maschine )

I've seen many go the maschine way.

I've seen just as much sticking with 2-3 piece of old hardware like I do.

In the end, I dont think its about the gear but about what you do with it.

I'm an hardware guy, I do sequence in my PC but my sound are sent to my ASR-10, EMax, X7000 MPC 3K, S3000, S-10 and DSS-1.

It does stack up when you start changing everything that was outboard for in the box replacement. Vinyl is included.

Ad to that a descent old console and a reel to reel and you're totaly out of a computer beat making game.

Its just another universe that I personaly prefer.

I have nothing against Fruity loops beat as long as there's some feel to it and I believe that it is more difficult to achieve due to the linearity of sequencing in a computer. Hardware are faulty and usually introduce jitter latency etc..... that stack up to the already analog path modified sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't consider any of the machines in the original post classics. The classics for me are the 60/60II, 3k and 4k.

The 2k ( I owned and gave away) was a budget conscious step away from expensive machines that sounded better.

The point is, the OP thinks they are classics and guys in the 8th grade today will think the studio is a classic in 10 years.

The 4k is the best buy for the money imo. Get that a pair of warm WA73 and Warm pultecs and it should be better than a 3k if you process and sample.

Last edited by IM WHO YOU THINK; 4 weeks ago at 04:19 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post

The 2k ( I owned and gave away) was a budget conscious step away from expensive machines that sounded better.
Its my favorite sounding machine now.The OG model.With the lowly effects card and that simple filter and pitching i can get into a certain zone.It does not do a lot but i like it.Especially as it cost me the price of a battered 1000 lolI think it looks great too Sound is subjective i guess you can say.

Here she is all maxed out.Will sit next to the Live which is coming in the next day or two-
Attached Thumbnails
Akai should reissue some classic MPCs.-screen-shot-2019-05-10-15.33.13.png   Akai should reissue some classic MPCs.-screen-shot-2019-05-10-15.34.55.png  
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I was told Akai was working on OS 2 for the MPC 4000 before the company was sold.

Akai should finish OS 2 and sell the upgrade.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I love my mpc 2500 with jjos. It works. When Akai re-issues, thanks to this excellent thread, i hope they will add a resampling feature as well as a growl knob. Then the circle can be completed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tonsplash View Post
I was told Akai was working on OS 2 for the MPC 4000 before the company was sold.

Akai should finish OS 2 and sell the upgrade.
I would definitely be interested in seeing what it does.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would TOTALLY buy a modern/revamped version of the MPC4000.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
I would TOTALLY buy a modern/revamped version of the MPC4000.
What,made by in music?

Those days are well and truly over imo.
Old 4 weeks ago
I see MPC 2000XLs all day in pawn shops for 299 in near mint condition. I don't think you can get much lower than that price point on new gear. The MPC 3000/60 are my favorites but after spending 6 months with each variant I felt like they slowed me down and didn't find the sound to be a strong enough draw. I still have an asr 10 and an sp-1200 that I wont be parting with, but for mpc style I find the SP-16 infinitely faster to work on.

As to the original query- I think realistically if Akai tried to re-create the og models the economics of doing so would either push the retail price up too high or the corners cut to make it affordable would end up making it not all that true to the original. The business case isnt there. Having the "blueprints" wont make it any easier to build, parts availability and substitution will be difficult to impossible if you are just trying to do a new production run of the original hardware. The original OS was hand written assembler for the specific hardware (NEC processor IIRC) and would need to be ported to the new architecture to work. If you cant source the hundreds of chips in the quantity required for a production run, then the other option would be to build a clone with the things you can source. Going down this rabbit hole will inevitably lead to Gearslutz threads debating the merits of the original vs the new version and how one sounds warm and analog/digital and the other sounds cold and brittle. Its also a bit disingenuous to call it the MPCXXXX now because its not really a 1:1 version. Depending on the parts availability, it may be possible to release LE models of them like the did with the mpc 3000, but it was pricey.

The LowHiss SP-1200 looks super awesome, and it is on my must buy list, but it is not going to be an sp-1200. It looks like he has modeled the drop sample aliasing pretty well and I think he has sourced a limited number of the original AD/DA and filter chips. That is where the similarity ends. From memory its a raspberry pi or similar SOC that will run the box. I see that as a plus to be able to switch between vintage and vintage + mode with more ram and other goodies. I think being an indie/passion project makes it more viable and less risky than it would be for Akai to do something similar to the MPC.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

making beats since 88, never touched an mpc. i ended up with a command station which in certain areas is the future of the mpc and in other areas is outdated

i use it to sequence various hardware samplers, basically in that way they are one machine when used together. however, each of the hardware samplers is different, some with better sound, some with better timing, some that are a pain to sample on the fly yet sound incredible, others that can do on the fly sampling very easily but don't sound that great, and also some have native velocity response/adsr settings that just make it sound dope when you play the samples

this is about workflow. a computer can take gigabytes of hours of audio and give you endless options on the screen, all channeled through a mouse or controller. but none of them make on the fly sampling/auto placement as easy as some of these old samplers do. no matter how powerful or how many options the computer has, when i hear a snare on a record and i want it on a certain pad on my sampler right now as fast as possible, computers are useless. they only drain all creative energy when i have to train my eyes to the screen with all the options and the muscles in my hand/arm to use the mouse to find these options, or use the controller with a convoluted workflow that has been lost over the generations

and the timing also, once you start stacking things in a computer and adding effects, midi timing ESPECIALLY live recording of midi notes then becomes questionable. and in music timing is everything. some of these old samplers have better timing than others also. i guess this has fallen by the wayside as music shifted from sampling of physical media/live playing to programming pre-loaded sounds

and then we have the innovation in the command stations that i always go on about because it is the future, it is the correct way to design machines like this. the pyramid sequencer is basically that. you have pads for playing, and you have pads to represent your tracks. no confusion. in pattern creation and live performance, having both pads and track buttons that you can use to mute tracks, jump to a track, delete a track, always keep track of your tracks(!) it is the bomb for music creation. while recording, play a few notes on one track, jump to another and record a few more, jump to another and delete a track, copy and combine tracks, all while recording, and all represented in front of you with their own button so you can mix/mute them etc
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewing View Post
making beats since 88, never touched an mpc. i ended up with a command station which in certain areas is the future of the mpc and in other areas is outdated...

...this is about workflow. a computer can take gigabytes of hours of audio and give you endless options on the screen, all channeled through a mouse or controller. but none of them make on the fly sampling/auto placement as easy as some of these old samplers do. no matter how powerful or how many options the computer has, when i hear a snare on a record and i want it on a certain pad on my sampler right now as fast as possible, computers are useless...

...and then we have the innovation in the command stations that i always go on about because it is the future, it is the correct way to design machines like this. the pyramid sequencer is basically that. you have pads for playing, and you have pads to represent your tracks. no confusion. in pattern creation and live performance, having both pads and track buttons that you can use to mute tracks, jump to a track, delete a track, always keep track of your tracks(!) it is the bomb for music creation. while recording, play a few notes on one track, jump to another and record a few more, jump to another and delete a track, copy and combine tracks, all while recording, and all represented in front of you with their own button so you can mix/mute them etc
I have a maxed out Command Station PX-7. Despite having replaced it with an MPC Live, I'm having a hard time letting go of it. When I was all hardware, it was the center of my set up, controlling synths, romplers & keyboard. Yeah, that thing is sweet. If it sampled, it would be considered a classic. I fully agree with you on its workflow & layout.

As for CPU & samples, I don't know. I don't own it, but watched some vids & considered it; Serato Sample looks like a BEAST. From what I've seen, it's WAY quicker than hardware when doing certain things. If sampling was a bigger part of my sound and I didn't own an Akai Z4, I'd get it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
What,made by in music?

Those days are well and truly over imo.
"in music" ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
"in music" ?
https://www.inmusicbrands.com/
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
"in music" ?
Yeah Inmusic/Numark ect...not the older Japanese tech of the 4000.OG Akai Pro's last great,Epic machines.Shame JJ never got his mitts on it.

I got one of these Akai DPS24's over at my friends place too.Like some super duper Digital Multitrack.......And then they sold the company.Sio much development!!!!!

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I had a 2000XL and 4000. I own a Touch and have used the Live and X. For me, the X is the new king of MPCs. It's on par with the 4000 and not as heavy to carry. It's better built than the 5000.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
Theyre all at mpc-forums.com hah. But that place is pretty dead for the most part, at least the sections I hang out in (I own the Studio/2.0 software). Seems like Im the ONLY person in the world thats not making strictly hip-hop with one too heh.

I dont want Nukai to reissue a 'classic' MPC (none of those mentioned are classics), Id rather they just keep innovating it, and actually make it complete and not leave things out like PORTAMENTO heh. Just being able to rearrange tracks without having to copy an entire track, move it to an open one, erase, copy, move, etc, would be nice. If Im gonna get a 2000, there's plenty of them for way cheap, and most of them have had CF drives put in em. I can deal with 32MB, that just means I have to stop sampling my synths and leave em as MIDI tracks til I track it. Id rather they keep going with the X/Live. The Touch/Studio/Ren are awesome though, Im having a blast using it (haven't opened Logic to do anything since I got it), but it is software.. Give us a stable modern piece of hardware like they used to.

Just curious, how different is the OS in the X and Live compared to the MPC Software? The sampler engine in the software is like stupid basic, like Im still playing with my old S2000 in 1999. It reminds me of TAL's sampler, only without TAL's modulation options (still only ONE LFO?? No extra assignable envelope?).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobiz View Post
I had a 2000XL and 4000. I own a Touch and have used the Live and X. For me, the X is the new king of MPCs. It's on par with the 4000 and not as heavy to carry. It's better built than the 5000.
the X and Live are not real MPC's imo (only meaning there a bit comprimised compared to earlier versions,more like software).Just sold my Live yesterday and X ;last year.Thats it for me.The 4000,5000 sound huge and hit hard.Proper hardware.Not software with a box built around it.INHO and experience- the X/live all just sums down to the same characterless tone.Its ok but just ok.(Using the OG 2000 i got here things just kinda crack out so i can use less sounds and get more.... )Other than that they are pretty cool.

Quote:
It's better built than the 5000.
The 5000 is full metal and bullet proof.The effects and filters/samples have more character (altho same models/engine as X/live) altho you loose some top end.And yeah this machine has quirks) Thats ok with me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I quite dig the software.Prefer the tone of my soundcard and the control with mouse with parameters ect.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I quite dig the software.Prefer the tone of my soundcard and the control with mouse with parameters ect.
Its been a blast over here. I actually bought a questionably legit (IE I think employees steal iLok codes and ebay em) license for it last month and after a week with it, found a Studio that had only been used like once for $180 and picked that up (yay 2.0 license I can sleep safe with). I think Ive opened Logic once since I installed everything and that was just to start mixing down the first track I exported from the MPC heh. The Alesis MMT-8 kinda works in that same pattern workflow as the MPC and when I had mine ages ago, I hated it. If something wasn't linear like Logic I didnt get how to use it, it was just like my boring Alesis SR-16 drum machine. Dont know what made it click but it is so fast to throw stuff together now. Just a month later, I hardly even need to look at the monitor anymore unless its a feature you can only select with the computer side of it. The hardware part has actually made making music fun again. Just wish the specs on the sampler and sequencer weren't so 1999 hah.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
The 4000,5000 sound huge and hit hard.Proper hardware.
100% correct.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search