The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AKAI Z8 Sampler Backup?
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Nut

AKAI Z8 Sampler Backup?

Good Morning SLUTZ!

I've just came across an Akai Z8 with all the bells and whistles onboard that was handed down to me by my brother, Hes a touring musicians so I think these units have had a hard life but also they have damn well had theyre monies worth used out of them.. Which I can respect!

Now. I know exactly what I wish to use mine for but I have one problem thats preventing me from going forward which is it is jam packed with the various vocal parts/drum and guitar stems.. The other and main detailing being that this is from a very very famous house hold name of a band so this audio isn't something that can be shrew around or destroyed god forbid.

I'm guessing my choices are to

1) try and find a way to clone the IDE drive with a brand new one, IDE drives are very cheap BUT by the same token the are fantastically unreliable.

2) Convert the Akai Z8 to a SSD drive and in the process get rid of the old band material backup somewhere safe on my computer.

This seems the best idea, Any idea if I can send via the USB cable on the front panel to a PC or MAC??

Any help is super useful

----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by devontodetroit; 13th May 2019 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: turn notification on
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Best thing to do is invest in a Sata hard drive enclosure,pop it in there and copy it onto your computer.USB needs to be run with AKSYS software which can be ok if you can get it working,good for editing ect,but will not work on all systems.And is very finicky copying files.You will need the Sata to IDE adapter conversion in your Z8 too use an SSD drive.Very nice sampler BTW.The cable for the Z8 controller is a PS2 which is handy to know if it does not have one.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear
I have an expanded Akai Z4 myself. You don't have to use the internal drive at all. Just make sure no samples are set to autoload on boot. You could even open up the case and disconnect the hard drive, but leave it mounted inside. That way you don't have hear it running in the background or worry about damaging the files, but it's still safely kept in there.

The easiest way to deal with the Z-series I've found is to just plug in a USB thumb drive and work off that.

Don't bother trying to make transfers from your computer over USB, just copy samples to a folder on your thumb drive and plug it in to the sampler. The aksys software is vintage and can be tricky to set up and use reliably. It's not that much more efficient than using the front panel IMO.

Also you can run a bunch of different stuff off the Akai's USB port. I've used a USB typing keyboard to enter in names, external USB CD drive to transfer CD-ROM Akai libraries, even plugged in a little USB light.

Last edited by coolout; 20th May 2019 at 11:22 AM..
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

I might not be comprehending this correctly, but you can buy a SCSI2SD board that you can mount in place of the floppy drive, that will allow you to read/write from SD cards. Fairly simple installation process.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
I might not be comprehending this correctly, but you can buy a SCSI2SD board that you can mount in place of the floppy drive, that will allow you to read/write from SD cards. Fairly simple installation process.
Z8 Has a sata drive on board.You can get a simple sata to ide conversion cable for very cheap to use ssd.But a usb stick or hard drive on the front works very well too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Just to clarify, I'm trying to backup the content on the Z8 to my archives.

I've tried Ak.sys but was dismayed when the only download I could find was archive.org, I doubt it even will run on the newer Mac?

I think maybe a USB caddy and remove the harddrive which I think is an IDE drive, Then backup onto my SSD.

I can connect over USB from the front port but it wont mount in the disk utilty or show up.

Gah.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Best thing to do is invest in a Sata hard drive enclosure,pop it in there and copy it onto your computer
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

the USB on the front is the same speed as the drive. not sure what GB max size it will recognize in there is. but 32GB memory stick may work. maybe even larger. or a 128 GB PATA SSD internally should do it. with a conversion cable from large format to small format + the power injector. at the end of the day, I'd rather use the thumb stick in the front. even if it had an internal SSD. because it's very handy to know you can just pull out and stick it in another. there are some extremely small sandisk thumb drives you'd barely even notice were in there. just not sure what the max size actually is.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
the USB on the front is the same speed as the drive. not sure what GB max size it will recognize in there is. but 32GB memory stick may work. maybe even larger. or a 128 GB PATA SSD internally should do it. with a conversion cable from large format to small format + the power injector. at the end of the day, I'd rather use the thumb stick in the front. even if it had an internal SSD. because it's very handy to know you can just pull out and stick it in another. there are some extremely small sandisk thumb drives you'd barely even notice were in there. just not sure what the max size actually is.
Yes but he seems to have a lot of data to back up from the drive.And he probably does not want to load it before copying which is why the Sata usb enclosure suggestion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by devontodetroit View Post
I've tried Ak.sys but was dismayed when the only download I could find was archive.org, I doubt it even will run on the newer Mac?
Oooh ouch no. I dont even know if there was an OS X version of it. If there was, it would've been a PowerPC app and won't work anyways. I think you can still get it from Akai but you'll have to dig around through like the legacy product pages for it. They still have software for the MPC4000 up so pretty sure they would the Z series since that was all the same stuff.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Yes but he seems to have a lot of data to back up from the drive.And he probably does not want to load it before copying which is why the Sata usb enclosure suggestion.
I think the front end USB can also connect to a USB drive. I've used a USB CD reader in there with no problems. so it probably works for a drive too. though it may not power the drive fully enough. in which case you'd need a dual USB lead for power injection. the rear external USB B socket is only for the computer connection for the Aksys software. the system may start to freeze if it's used for anything else. with Aksys on OSX at this point, you might have to use an emulator running an OS which the Aksys works on. I think I had Aksys working on OSX 10.4 ok. not sure if I tried it on 10.6. windows was way more flakey so even a windows emulator might not be the best idea, even if you run an emulator on windows.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
I think the front end USB can also connect to a USB drive. I've used a USB CD reader in there with no problems. so it probably works for a drive too. though it may not power the drive fully enough. in which case you'd need a dual USB lead for power injection. the rear external USB B socket is only for the computer connection for the Aksys software. the system may start to freeze if it's used for anything else. with Aksys on OSX at this point, you might have to use an emulator running an OS which the Aksys works on. I think I had Aksys working on OSX 10.4 ok. not sure if I tried it on 10.6. windows was way more flakey so even a windows emulator might not be the best idea, even if you run an emulator on windows.
My point is he wants to back up the hard drive not just what loaded into ram.The front usb works great for loading in and out of ram .
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I think I'll have to get the screw driver out, One small blessing is that these Akai's are easy to open up. Like an old IBM PC or similar, My old MPC 2000xl was easy anyways.

I'll just try and pop out the HDD I think and read it somehow from my laptop

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search