The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Using Auto-Tune and Real-Tune to Strengthen Raw Voice/Vocals
Old 10th May 2019
Here for the gear

Using Auto-Tune and Real-Tune to Strengthen Raw Voice/Vocals

I've been monitoring my vocals with auto-tune for about two years but always record dry and usually use melodyne and a combination of auto-tune afterwards - generally subtly when I start mixing.

I've been researching for months on this question I have and have found very little so your advice would be much appreciated.

I want to improve my voice so that I don't have to rely on auto-tune one day but am at a stage where I feel like I need to hear it so I can stay in key.

Would it be better to hear my monitored vocals 100% corrected or 50% or somewhere in-between?

Lately I've been monitoring going into waves real tune correction set on around 70% and then touching auto-tune with the low latency setting to get that top end silk.

I'm just not sure what the best route would be for what my goals are in trying to strengthen my raw voice and would like some second opinions - as I've continually experimented but doubt everything I do.

Thanks a million!
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Get as much practise as you can.

Go somewhere quite or even noisy with the seagulls at the beach.

Belt it out.

I would give yourself a bit of reverb if anything as your recording engineer one day would do the same.

Enough for you to hear but record your vocal dry.

Hope that helps as one ear needs to hear a backing track and the other ear needs to pitch.

Ear train or pitch your favorite artists because that is ear and pitch training then you wont need autotune.

Cheers
Old 11th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Get as much practise as you can.

Go somewhere quite or even noisy with the seagulls at the beach.

Belt it out.

I would give yourself a bit of reverb if anything as your recording engineer one day would do the same.

Enough for you to hear but record your vocal dry.

Hope that helps as one ear needs to hear a backing track and the other ear needs to pitch.

Ear train or pitch your favorite artists because that is ear and pitch training then you wont need autotune.

Cheers
For sure. I've always recorded my vocals dry that's not an issue! And I am practicing and working on my voice daily when I stay accountable

But just to be clear, in your opinion, you don't think I should have any auto-tune for the monitoring mix? Only reverb right?
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

You need to hear yourself.

Maybe even take some voice lessons and vocal strength coaching.

If you spend money on a plug in or an Antares box or something it will be better in the long run
with a good natural voice.

Cheers
Old 11th May 2019
Quote:
I want to improve my voice so that I don't have to rely on Auto-Tune one day but am at a stage where I feel like I need to hear it so I can stay in key.

Would it be better to hear my monitored vocals 100% corrected or 50% or somewhere in-between?
you need to hear your vocals with nothing on it, if you want to hear your vocals and improve them. If you are hearing them 50% or 100% corrected, then how do you know how much you are off key?

It doesn't make sense to monitor them with 100% correction in real-time if you want to hear your vocals and improve them without relying on auto-tune and melodyne. as you said. You need to hear your original vocals as you sing, not tuned vocals

CJ
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Guru

If you can afford autotune, you can afford a voice lesson or two.

I'm not talking a life sentence like with psychotherapy, just a couple visits. Ask around and find a coach who works with people in your genre. Many times, folks like you just need a nudge in the right direction toward generating vocals that "sound" more in tune. Not months or years of solfeggio and scales.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear
If you are serious about doing vocals you need to get regular practice sessions daily. I'd say at least an hour every day will strengthen and thicken your vocals in about a year. If you can get other musicians to jam with that would be best. If you're doing this on your own you need to do your practice with a keyboard or guitar.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

If you want free lessons and are loyal to the man upstairs then it wouldnt hurt to
go to church and enjoy the hymns and the hers.

Cheers
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If you can afford autotune, you can afford a voice lesson or two.

I'm not talking a life sentence like with psychotherapy, just a couple visits. Ask around and find a coach who works with people in your genre. Many times, folks like you just need a nudge in the right direction toward generating vocals that "sound" more in tune. Not months or years of solfeggio and scales.
Yessir. I suck at explaining things. I've spent about 6 months taking vocal lessons but haven't really applied myself until I started holding myself accountable - in which I am witnessing the results for sure.

My question I guess maybe what I meant to ask is getting the best performance out of my vocals during recording sessions. And it kinda looks like people are saying I shouldn't monitor with any tuning on my vocals!

Do you share the same sentiment in that regard?
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
You need to hear yourself.

Maybe even take some voice lessons and vocal strength coaching.

If you spend money on a plug in or an Antares box or something it will be better in the long run
with a good natural voice.

Cheers
Thank you for your input, so you're saying I need to monitor vocals without any tuning and trust myself, then apply any fx afterwards?
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
you need to hear your vocals with nothing on it, if you want to hear your vocals and improve them. If you are hearing them 50% or 100% corrected, then how do you know how much you are off key?

It doesn't make sense to monitor them with 100% correction in real-time if you want to hear your vocals and improve them without relying on auto-tune and melodyne. as you said. You need to hear your original vocals as you sing, not tuned vocals

CJ
Man. That reply is exactly what I needed to hear. Very straight forward and is logical. I don't know why I couldn't come to that conclusion myself. I think in this era with so much technology it feels like you sometimes have to reach for some kinda tool or crutch.

Just gotta trust myself.

Thank you.
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
If you are serious about doing vocals you need to get regular practice sessions daily. I'd say at least an hour every day will strengthen and thicken your vocals in about a year. If you can get other musicians to jam with that would be best. If you're doing this on your own you need to do your practice with a keyboard or guitar.
Hundred percent. I practice daily with a keyboard and can hear the difference when I'm consistent. Usually get in 30 mins but when I get an hour in I can totally feel myself gaining control.

Thank you for your reply and input
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeG_31 View Post
... people are saying I shouldn't monitor with any tuning on my vocals!

Do you share the same sentiment in that regard?
Yes.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeG_31 View Post

My question I guess maybe what I meant to ask is getting the best performance out of my vocals during recording sessions. And it kinda looks like people are saying I shouldn't monitor with any tuning on my vocals!
The usual advice is to come in prepared. Know your lyrics. Do your warm ups. Try avoid consuming too much dairy, alcohol or acidic foods prior to a session.

It’s extremely difficult to Record yourself. I’ve never been impressed by the performances in any self recorded vocals I’ve heard whether rapping or singing. Ideally you’ll have a recording engineer familiar with the genre to double as a coach during the recording session. You need a dude to tell you when you’ve done a crappy take. To tell that you sound too breathy “on this line”, or you need to be sound more aggressive “on this line.”
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
I’ve never been impressed by the performances in any self recorded vocals I’ve heard whether rapping or singing.
I have. Lots.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

I’ll say do whatever brings out the best performance. I know some incredible singers that like to record thru autotune. They do it to help keep them in pitch but more so cause it sounds cool to them so it helps them be more creative. And these are people that can do every run in the book. And do them clean. Nothing wrong with throwin a bit of tune on there while tracking to get a cool vibe! Also nothing wrong with getting better at singing. There’s no rule to this. Whatever works! If you enjoy singing thru some “TUNE” then do it. As long as the song is hot at the end it doesn’t matter.
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s12512 View Post
I’ll say do whatever brings out the best performance. I know some incredible singers that like to record thru autotune. They do it to help keep them in pitch but more so cause it sounds cool to them so it helps them be more creative. And these are people that can do every run in the book. And do them clean. Nothing wrong with throwin a bit of tune on there while tracking to get a cool vibe! Also nothing wrong with getting better at singing. There’s no rule to this. Whatever works! If you enjoy singing thru some “TUNE” then do it. As long as the song is hot at the end it doesn’t matter.
Yeah man that makes sense. Let me pose one of the smaller intricate problems I'm facing and you tell me if my diagnosis is right, if I can trouble you for your time that is and I would greatly appreciate it!

I find when I'm not recording and just singing acapella or along with music, I can pretty consistently hit notes in my normal range. After recording and comping my vocal takes (after being monitored thru auto-tune) I'm so unhappy and disappointed when I hear the raw vocals. In the raw recorded vocals, notes that I don't usually have issues with sound weak, shaky, out of tune, etc...

Someone mentioned earlier that this is because I can't hear what my vocals are actually doing if they're getting any percentage tuned. That makes sense to me I think. But then you just said you know pro singers who sing into auto-tune and use it fine. Do you think that they're so well trained and accustomed to hitting the notes in day to day life, that the auto-tune has no effect on how they determine to sing in key? If that makes sense?

Maybe the best way for me personally is to write a little with auto-tune to find catchy melodies and what not, record a scratch vocal with the auto-tune pretty heavy, and then listen to the scratch to accustom my ear to correct pitches. THEN FINALLY record my vocals with no pitch correction on the monitor mix.

Think I just answered my own question lol.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

You beat me to it! Lol. And if the scratch auto tune vocal sounds good and you’re stacking vocals use that one to stack to. Then if you choose not to monitor Thru auto tune you’ll have a good guide for pitch! But if you enjoy auto tune use it on all of them it you’d like. Whatever inspires you do that!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search