The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pete Rock - Return of the SP1200
Old 26th April 2019
Pete Rock - Return of the SP1200

So I ordered the wax when it came out but im still waiting for it to arrive.

Good thing is that today it was released on all digital platform and I spent my day listening to it.

The traveling man track really caught my attention. You can hear the SP1200 aliasing so loudly...I was wondering if that bothered anyone.....or whats your point of view on it.

Personally, I really love it but wouldnt take a full album filled with that amount of aliasing.

The beat start at 31:39

Old 27th April 2019
Here for the gear

Or The World Don't Stop at 9:33.

It can be cool, but you must be careful not to overdo it and make it a gimmick. With this album I get the feeling they wanted to emphasize the use of the SP. Back in the days the mixing engineers probably toned the aliasing down a bit.

Let's check out what Pete says about making this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3_JV3voBEo
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Addict

zero experience with an sp1200 so forgive the dumb question...are you talking about that rattling paper sound behind the samples, almost sounds like a bad tweeter?
Old 27th April 2019
Here for the gear

I guess you can describe it like that.

That's the trademark sound of the SP12 and SP1200. But it was often filtered to make it less obvious. Not in this digital era though. Now people (me too) can't seem to get enough of it. But Martel has got a point that it might be too much to hear it a whole album long.
Old 28th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolafish View Post
zero experience with an sp1200 so forgive the dumb question...are you talking about that rattling paper sound behind the samples, almost sounds like a bad tweeter?
If you happen to have NI's Battery installed, there's an SP mode you can switch on (if you're curious). To get the actual effect, you have to detune a sample downwards, though. Because of it's limited memory, people would run their turntable at a higher speed when sampling into it, and then pitch the sample back down—in effect like using a lower sampling rate, but the SP has a very distinct way of interpolating samples that lends that incredibly specific sound.
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolafish View Post
not really, that's just "vinyl noise" being emphasized in the sample.

i think this is a good example of "SP aliasing", right when the beat starts. that high-pitched whine:

Old 29th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
not really, that's just "vinyl noise" being emphasized in the sample.

i think this is a good example of "SP aliasing", right when the beat starts. that high-pitched whine:

yep, thats even worst.
Old 30th April 2019
what a great album, beats take me right back.
Old 30th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i think this is a good example of "SP aliasing", right when the beat starts. that high-pitched whine
https://youtu.be/fePFbwInnoM
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

Drums through an SP can sound sweet! Percussive, stabby samples too. Otherwise it can bother me a bit if overdone.

Surprisingly, this instrumental release from PR isn't grabbing me. Too loopy maybe.
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

I bought the SP1200 when it first hit the market ... and had individual outs . Was easy to add percussion on a mixdown with the larger buttons -- SMPTE or MIDI
Old 1st May 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
Drums through an SP can sound sweet! Percussive, stabby samples too. Otherwise it can bother me a bit if overdone.

Surprisingly, this instrumental release from PR isn't grabbing me. Too loopy maybe.
Ditto. The same things were said in Petestrumentals and Soul Survivor, only better.
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

yea it’s super repetitive
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

I think pretty much any 90s style hip-hop is ultra repetitive when it's instrumental, personally.
Old 1st May 2019
Here for the gear

I think beats were supposed to complement monster vocals back then while vocals complement monster beats today :D

Seriously, I find repetitive music done in a good way inspiring
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

i'd almost rather hear instrumental versions of a lot of hip-hop stuff (in addition to the originals of course), even if it is "loopy". sometimes the lyrics just get old after a while.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefaz View Post
I think beats were supposed to complement monster vocals back then while vocals complement monster beats today :D

Seriously, I find repetitive music done in a good way inspiring
+1
IMO a loop can be very powerful and depending on the vibe set someone in a medititive kind of mood.
I can hear this again and again....

peace
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

I listen almost exclusively to instrumental hip hop these days. Dem beats! Got no problem with being too loopy as long as its a good loop
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuz2019 View Post
…they wanted to emphasize the use of the SP. Back in the days the mixing engineers probably toned the aliasing down a bit.
Those beats are from the 90s. It's not like he chose to emphasize that; it was his tool back then, and to fit all the samples in the memory, he had to use them in such way (sample high-pitched, then pitch down in the SP) that created the aliasing. In a way it wasn't a choice.

Also, I don't think back then engineers had complex tools to actually address the aliasing.
Old 3rd May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
Those beats are from the 90s.
I know, you can recognize Pete Rocks post The Main Ingredient style. Except for Death Becomes You these are probably just unused beats. Not intended for an instrumental album, but dope nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
Also, I don't think back then engineers had complex tools to actually address the aliasing.
No, but they did lower down the high frequencies (EQ/LP filter) to make the aliasing become less obvious.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
I think pretty much any 90s style hip-hop is ultra repetitive when it's instrumental, personally.

Check out 'Mass Appeal" by Gang Starr. 1 bar loop from beginning to end...and it's dope-as-fcuk. Ask around
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don’t recall Petestramentals, Surviving Elements, etc being as repetative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Check out 'Mass Appeal" by Gang Starr. 1 bar loop from beginning to end...and it's dope-as-fcuk. Ask around
Definitely as a song. Checked my Apple Music, Mass Appeal instrumental not on my Instrumental playlist. 5 others from Hard to Earn Instrumentals are.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Definitely as a song. Checked my Apple Music, Mass Appeal instrumental not on my Instrumental playlist. 5 others from Hard to Earn Instrumentals are.
Well, there are definitely exceptions; I'm just saying in general. I mean, to be honest, even my beats have always tended to be pretty minimal—though the intention was always to leave space for a potential MC—I just have never really found the right person here yet. It's actually gotten me thinking that I want to start changing that aspect about my tracks and figure out a way to potentially add collaborative instrument players of different types to fill things out so the instrumental tracks can stand on their own.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Never tried a loop -- since about 1990 .. Used the SP for mainly the pads ... all our early drum machines had such mini~pads to play--in comparison .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Well, there are definitely exceptions; I'm just saying in general. I mean, to be honest, even my beats have always tended to be pretty minimal—though the intention was always to leave space for a potential MC—I just have never really found the right person here yet. It's actually gotten me thinking that I want to start changing that aspect about my tracks and figure out a way to potentially add collaborative instrument players of different types to fill things out so the instrumental tracks can stand on their own.
You could end up doing both.
Think Bonobo or RJD2.
I'm in the exact same situation and sometime I just think about hiring a rapper of my choice for 4-5 different beats and building the rest as instrumentals only around thos 4-5 beats.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Definitely exceptions. I don't think these being released so far after the fact is a coincidence. Those earlier releases stood on their own much better.

For me, it's not so much the minimalism. I can listen to a sparse instrumental with some change ups.

I used to play live guitar & bass on my tracks, but have been relying heavily on virtual instruments the last 1.5 years or so. Either way, I always want my instrumental to stand on it's own. I only work with 1 MC at the moment, but unless he says a track is too busy, we rock with it. On a few occasions I've scaled back a track a bit, and a couple of times we scrapped the collab because I went too far but liked the track as is.

But I'm more song writer/producer than beat maker/producer. I started this journey with a guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post

And just like when I was adding tracks to my playlist, I don't want to hear this for 3.5 minutes. With Guru on it, fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
You could end up doing both.
Think Bonobo or RJD2.
I'm in the exact same situation and sometime I just think about hiring a rapper of my choice for 4-5 different beats and building the rest as instrumentals only around thos 4-5 beats.

I dig Bonobo and always wanted to witness a session.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I dig Bonobo and always wanted to witness a session.
He work alone with old samplers , a juno and a wurti.

I always wanted to do a video of me doing a beat from scratch on my samplers but when I think about it, its freaking boring. Like 3 hours to make a sketch ....you have time to get extremely bored watching that sort of video, especially when you end up mixing while you sequence and edit then you take a smoke break....
Lol, when you think abut it, theres not much to see haha.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
He work alone with old samplers , a juno and a wurti.

I always wanted to do a video of me doing a beat from scratch on my samplers but when I think about it, its freaking boring. Like 3 hours to make a sketch ....you have time to get extremely bored watching that sort of video, especially when you end up mixing while you sequence and edit then you take a smoke break....
Lol, when you think abut it, theres not much to see haha.
Yeah, not everyone's process is entertaining. I know mine isn't. My finger drumming is getting decent, but my keyboard skill is enough to come up with parts, teach them to myself & record versions that need editing.

It takes me some hours to put a sketch together as well. I admire folks who can put together a nice track fairly quickly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search