All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pete Rock - Return of the SP1200
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.C.P. View Post
You don't mean B-Real?

I'll get my coat...
I didn't see the original post, but there's definitely a high-pitched "whine" in that track...
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear

I think album wuz killed with mastering engineer. It's sounds like material wuz recorded at very "Hi-End" sample rates like 192 or 96 Khz.
For Lo-Fi boom bap it's overkill and destroy a lot of almighty SP1200 flavor.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFSAKA View Post
I think album wuz killed with mastering engineer. It's sounds like material wuz recorded at very "Hi-End" sample rates like 192 or 96 Khz.
For Lo-Fi boom bap it's overkill and destroy a lot of almighty SP1200 flavor.
Technically speaking, recording anything at 96 or 192k sample rate isn't really going to have a detrimental affect upon something lo-fi from an SP1200. If anything, It ought to be slightly more accurate in general, in the sense that every single nuance (including the grit and aliasing, etc.) is going to be captured to a more pristine degree than it would have been, otherwise (at a lower sample rate). I'm not sure how you can legitimately justify such claims, in this case. I think you have some serious misconceptions about how higher sample-rates actually work.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
Technically speaking, recording anything at 96 or 192k sample rate isn't really going to have a detrimental affect upon something lo-fi from an SP1200. If anything, It ought to be slightly more accurate in general, in the sense that every single nuance (including the grit and aliasing, etc.) is going to be captured to a more pristine degree than it would have been, otherwise (at a lower sample rate). I'm not sure how you can legitimately justify such claims, in this case. I think you have some serious misconceptions about how higher sample-rates actually work.
You're 100% right and I think 99,9% of the people here (ok this is a 'nerd' forum so it's probably 99,5% ) can't really hear a difference between 44,1kHz and 96kHz let alone 192kHz.
But he probably ment the recording process (not the mastering). IDK how this album is recorded but I guess the signal chain was rather SP -> modern A/D converter -> DAW mixing instead of SP -> analog console -> Reel2Reel or 90s A/D converter.
Would be interesting what they used as source (tapes or files that were recorded back then or the SP output)

peace
Old 4 weeks ago
Maybe he simply doesnt feel the way the engineer handle and processed the tracks.

I dont really want to start another thread for that but what do you guys think about that new Retropolitan Album that just came out friday?
Pete Rock + Skyzoo:
https://mmg-skyzoo.bandcamp.com/album/retropolitan
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I dont really want to start another thread for that but what do you guys think about that new Retropolitan Album that just came out friday?
Pete Rock + Skyzoo:
https://mmg-skyzoo.bandcamp.com/album/retropolitan
meh

EDIT: No. meh is the wrong term.

I rather choose to be silent

peace

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search