The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pete Rock - Return of the SP1200
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
Yeah, not everyone's process is entertaining. I know mine isn't. My finger drumming is getting decent, but my keyboard skill is enough to come up with parts, teach them to myself & record versions that need editing.

It takes me some hours to put a sketch together as well. I admire folks who can put together a nice track fairly quickly.
You already did a great song by sampling a part and put a drum loop on top which is basicly what a lot of our beloved favorite producers did when they created their most famous beat. This take 10 minute .

The problem is that we ( and Im sure youre in the same boat ) always end up overcomplicating things...comparing and thinking '' Oh, I need to layer a bass behind that sample '' when all the '' pro'' would have done is put a LPF on a sample phrase and layer right under and mix to taste.

When I read articles or look at interviews and see that so many of my favorite beat were actually just a sample from a vinyl with nothing added on top but a freakin Pultec eq on the bass to make the Kick and bass pop out, sometime I wonder why I spend hours on the same beats haha.

I guess ill never learn my lesson and keep on procrastinating :P
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
You already did a great song by sampling a part and put a drum loop on top which is basicly what a lot of our beloved favorite producers did when they created their most famous beat. This take 10 minute .

The problem is that we ( and Im sure youre in the same boat ) always end up overcomplicating things...comparing and thinking '' Oh, I need to layer a bass behind that sample '' when all the '' pro'' would have done is put a LPF on a sample phrase and layer right under and mix to taste.

When I read articles or look at interviews and see that so many of my favorite beat were actually just a sample from a vinyl with nothing added on top but a freakin Pultec eq on the bass to make the Kick and bass pop out, sometime I wonder why I spend hours on the same beats haha.

I guess ill never learn my lesson and keep on procrastinating :P
Yup! K.I.S.S. is a saying for a reason.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

peace
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think any video of making a beat from scratch just needs to be properly edited. I can create a simple beat/loop fairly quickly (at times), but nowadays I spend A LOT of time mixing, and probably as much time listening through old records to dig for samples, as well as tons of trial and error trying to mix and match disparate samples together (which also usually entails a lot of boring technical work—chopping, time-stretching, re-pitching, editing, etc.).

What I was thinking in terms of "fleshing out" my instrumentals is sort of along the lines of Digable Planets - Blowout Comb. I mainly want some different players (including myself) to add in little snippets that I can then loop and manipulate, and likely make them sound like they're aged/from vinyl. Nothing too extravagant or busy, other than perhaps a little solo here and there.

I just recently set this up maybe a couple weeks ago; it has a few newer beats mixed with some older stuff, but you can get an idea:

https://soundcloud.com/user-32844373
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
I think any video of making a beat from scratch just needs to be properly edited. I can create a simple beat/loop fairly quickly (at times), but nowadays I spend A LOT of time mixing, and probably as much time listening through old records to dig for samples, as well as tons of trial and error trying to mix and match disparate samples together (which also usually entails a lot of boring technical work—chopping, time-stretching, re-pitching, editing, etc.).

What I was thinking in terms of "fleshing out" my instrumentals is sort of along the lines of Digable Planets - Blowout Comb. I mainly want some different players (including myself) to add in little snippets that I can then loop and manipulate, and likely make them sound like they're aged/from vinyl. Nothing too extravagant or busy, other than perhaps a little solo here and there.

I just recently set this up maybe a couple weeks ago; it has a few newer beats mixed with some older stuff, but you can get an idea:

https://soundcloud.com/user-32844373
Def got that Lofi vibe on the first one Viva2. Is that Bill Evans ?

Oh yes, definitely got that Lo fi vibe on the second one as well.

Well...all of them it seems haha.

I love it. But your drums are banging way harder then those chillhop youtube channels. Not sure where you're going there but they all feel like apropriate instrumentation for a Chill hop album but the drums are just a notch under a rap fist pumping banger.

I feel that vibe .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Def got that Lofi vibe on the first one Viva2. Is that Bill Evans ?

Oh yes, definitely got that Lo fi vibe on the second one as well.

Well...all of them it seems haha.

I love it. But your drums are banging way harder then those chillhop youtube channels. Not sure where you're going there but they all feel like apropriate instrumentation for a Chill hop album but the drums are just a notch under a rap fist pumping banger.

I feel that vibe .
Thanks, man—I def appreciate it. I've never considered it particularly "lo-fi", but it's definitely intentionally "analog" sounding, and I avoid anything specifically digital sounding. I've never heard of "chill-hop", but honestly, I don't really keep up to date with contemporary hip-hop at all or really intentionally listen to modern stuff; I just basically do what I do, and never think about it. I am, however, a huge fan of older trip-hop, but my main influences are 90's Premier, Beatminerz, Pete Rock, Mobb Deep (The Infamous), Tribe, Digable Planets, Tricky's Maxinquaye and misc. jazzy **** in general (that probably shows to some degree). And no, not Bill Evans, I'm fairly sure it's actually a live Eberhard Weber track.

And yeah, just listening through the tracks I posted, I realized most of them have a BPM under 80 (even down in the 60s-70s at some points!), so they're really not orientated towards being anthems in any sense! In any case, as I said previously, I'm thinking I'd like to really start taking those instrumentals to another level, where they can genuinely stand on their own without an MC—I live in the DEEP SOUTHWEST (New Mexico), so it's ridiculously difficult to find rappers here that are even remotely decent or have any interest in sample-based hip-hop—there's literally one dude here that's dope as hell, but we've just never gotten the chance to work together. Thanks again for the kind words! Peace.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
—I live in the DEEP SOUTHWEST (New Mexico), so it's ridiculously difficult to find rappers here that are even remotely decent or have any interest in sample-based hip-hop—there's literally one dude here that's dope as hell, but we've just never gotten the chance to work together. Thanks again for the kind words! Peace.
You can always hire one of your favourite MC for a 16 bar and make the dream of the kid inside you come true. I saw you mentioned beatminerz. I guess you’re a huge BCC fan just like me. Heard one of them ( my favourite ) doing a fb live the other day saying that a low baller tried himself on him for a full blown songs for 500 when , as I remember he said “that’s half the price for a 16”.

So there, you could get a fire verse for 1k ......and only monsters spite fire (pun intended )
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can always hire one of your favourite MC for a 16 bar and make the dream of the kid inside you come true. I saw you mentioned beatminerz. I guess you’re a huge BCC fan just like me. Heard one of them ( my favourite ) doing a fb live the other day saying that a low baller tried himself on him for a full blown songs for 500 when , as I remember he said “that’s half the price for a 16”.

So there, you could get a fire verse for 1k ......and only monsters spite fire (pun intended )
You know what, I might just have to do that! If you checked my tracks, there's one with Steele from Smif-n-Wessun on one of them
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
You know what, I might just have to do that! If you checked my tracks, there's one with Steele from Smif-n-Wessun on one of them
He’s not the one I was mentioning but none the less he come across as a good men and I mean......he’s Steele !!

Do it man !

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
He’s not the one I was mentioning but none the less he come across as a good men and I mean......he’s Steele !!

Do it man !

No ****ing doubt, man, that's a great idea. And I have some darker tracks that I bet Smif-N-Wessun would likely enjoy guesting on! That would be insane! Just need to figure out how to contact them It makes me think—I would LOVE to produce something for them, or any BCC affiliates. That really would be a dream come true.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

On a side-note, I figured I ought to mention that I got to see Pete Rock DJ live in Albuquerque, NM a couple of years back—it was a tiny club so it was insanely loud, but it was ridiculous—he played nothing but classics and then a random Wu-Tang member (I don't remember who it was—i was super drunk) came out and busted out a few verses. Pretty amazing experience, though. Unfortunately, my ex-girlfriend has the live video of it...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
On a side-note, I figured I ought to mention that I got to see Pete Rock DJ live in Albuquerque, NM a couple of years back—it was a tiny club so it was insanely loud, but it was ridiculous—he played nothing but classics and then a random Wu-Tang member (I don't remember who it was—i was super drunk) came out and busted out a few verses. Pretty amazing experience, though. Unfortunately, my ex-girlfriend has the live video of it...
RIP Epic video.
Old 1 week ago
By the way, I dont think you should limit yourself to dark tracks.

When they released their best album to date ( To me ) The All like 2 months ago, I remember Tek saying that all producers refer to them as trying to make the next Sound Bwoy Burriel while they were saying that this sort of beat could never be done again, they were younger, it was another era for them.
If you listen to the new The All album, it doesnt sound as dark. They are mature men reflecting on mature men being raised in a neighborhood harder then most of us including me for sure. So I can seriously relate to the experience and lessons they share for a lot of their bars.
I'm sure both MC are still more then capable of rhyming bragging bars like there's no tomorrow but I also think ( based on their latest album ) that they know where their crowd is at, and thats just me and you...mature men usually with families to take care and loan to pay.

So my whole point was, dont worry about dark or not dark tracks, they have many many tracks that are not dark in their latest album.

I really hope you'll be able to make your dream of having one ( or both ) SnW members on one of your track come true soon.

Keep me posted.

EDIT : I dont think they will cost what the other guy is asking tho. Just wanted to put that out there in case you come back disapointed by a x5 quote. ( I seriously dont have a single clue what their quote is for a 16 )
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Why not create your own sound or a new sound using the new DAWs and software that’s out now instead of going back to an SP 1200. I don’t like this album and I think Pete Rock has been lame for the last two or three instrumental album he’s done because all he does is loop the same sounds over and over. It’s boring.

Even if you’re doing loop bass production these days there’s so much you can do to change the loops up chop them up or make them sound different using a daw. I can take a loop in Ableton and make it sound 500 different ways.

Been super disappointed with PRs stuff lately. It sounds dated. Pete Rock is the type of guy who never learned computers and the new technology and is still producing like it’s the 90s. Yea, I respect trying to go back to the sp1200 but load the stuff into a DAW and do something new with it.

I am a Pete Rock fan but I am not going to dissolution myself and say this dude is producing great material when it’s not that good.

Last edited by smccarthy945; 1 day ago at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
Why not create your own sound or a new sound using the new DAWs and software that’s out now instead of going back to an SP 1200. I don’t like this album and I think Pete Rock has been lame for the last two or three instrumental album he’s done because all he does is loop the same sounds over and over. It’s boring.

Even if you’re doing loop bass production these days there’s so much you can do to change the loops up chop them up or make them sound different using a daw. I can take a loop in Ableton and make it sound 500 different ways.

Been super disappointed with PRs stuff lately. It sounds dated. Pete Rock is the type of guy who never learned computers and the new technology and is still producing like it’s the 90s. Yea, I respect trying to go back to the sp1200 but load the stuff into a DAW and do something new with it.

I am a Pete Rock fan but I am not going to dissolution myself and say this dude is producing great material when it’s not that good.
I can totaly understand why someone would be more interested in other genre. There's nothing bad about it. I also understand why you would prefer Computer music before warm artifacted digital sampler music.

I dont think there's nothing wrong with wath Pete is doing right now. I'm into it so of course it catches my interest and like anybody that is really into something, you always love to have the real original elements to build a result as faithful as it can be.

The other day, there's a guy on another thread that shared a youtube channel dedicated to a bot creating Death Metal music based on algorythms. The bot is creating 24hr/7days a week of original Death metal material.

I personnally thought that was a genius idea as I'm really not into Death Metal but if I was a fan , I'd be so disapointed that the core of my music can be replicated artificialy...because to me, it sounded genuin ( remember, I dont have a trained ear for death metal because i dont really love that genre of music ).

Now I havent met a metal head since but I wouldnt be surprised that he would tell me that the algorythm still need some tweaking for it to sound realistic.

My point is, that is also my stance on the Hardware vs Computer music.

I remember when I bought a 8 in 8 out converter to expand my setup about 5 years ago, the guy was a composer for classical orchestra and I remember he also had this opinion about computer base orchestra vs hiring a full orchestra to play Soundtracks for the movie he was hired to compose for.

Its a very divided world but maybe because I'm sourrounded by so many professional, there seems to be a concensus amongst pprofessional that the real thing always sound better then the emulation.

Of course its debatable and I'm sure a kid will soon put out a great Trap album all made on his Huawai or his Samsung phone and people will swear its way better because of multiple reason.

On another subject, I had my favorite ceviche in Lima, in Peru. I tried doing it here in Montreal and replaced the Aji amarillo with mexican pepers and the Limon byt the Lime we have here. It wasnt even quite as good....but im very picky on details.
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way, I dont think you should limit yourself to dark tracks.

When they released their best album to date ( To me ) The All like 2 months ago, I remember Tek saying that all producers refer to them as trying to make the next Sound Bwoy Burriel while they were saying that this sort of beat could never be done again, they were younger, it was another era for them.
If you listen to the new The All album, it doesnt sound as dark. They are mature men reflecting on mature men being raised in a neighborhood harder then most of us including me for sure. So I can seriously relate to the experience and lessons they share for a lot of their bars.
I'm sure both MC are still more then capable of rhyming bragging bars like there's no tomorrow but I also think ( based on their latest album ) that they know where their crowd is at, and thats just me and you...mature men usually with families to take care and loan to pay.

So my whole point was, dont worry about dark or not dark tracks, they have many many tracks that are not dark in their latest album.

I really hope you'll be able to make your dream of having one ( or both ) SnW members on one of your track come true soon.

Keep me posted.

EDIT : I dont think they will cost what the other guy is asking tho. Just wanted to put that out there in case you come back disapointed by a x5 quote. ( I seriously dont have a single clue what their quote is for a 16 )
Actually the bigger issue is that I'd never be able to afford to clear all of the samples I use, just in one track. It would be an absolute nightmare.
Old 11 hours ago
Quote:
Actually the bigger issue is that I'd never be able to afford to clear all of the samples I use, just in one track. It would be an absolute nightmare.
Then just dont clear them and release your track. If you dont have a label or a company with big incomes, no one will ask their 2000$ /hour lawyers to come sue you for your uncleared sample on a ALBUM that MIGHT have made 5000 copies if youre lucky.

5000 x 10$ profit , divided by 20 tracks ( their share of the uncleared sample at max ) thats 2500$.

So a 2000$ process to gain a profit of 500$.

Nah man, sorry, that just doesnt work like that.

Dont worry about that BS, just release your track then you can see later when youre so famous you have actually something to lose.

Sample clearance are NOT a one time price thing ( only in very few occasion ) .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search