The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Where Will Hip Hop Go After Trap?
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Maniac
Where Will Hip Hop Go After Trap?

Much like Ganster Rap, one day Trap Music will be a sound of the past.

Which direction is Hip Hop going?
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubercraft View Post
Much like Ganster Rap, one day Trap Music will be a sound of the past.

Which direction is Hip Hop going?
I could see the lo-fi sound getting bigger and gaining more market share but I don’t think it will come close to traps success. The trap sound lends itself to clubs and pop music so of course it’s ceiling is higher in relation to how popular it could get. In my personal experience, the lo-fi sound (when done well) is received well by most everyone who hears it, even non-hip-hop fans, which I can’t say for trap. I have seen a rejection of sort of the glitchy swinging type beats within the lo-fi sound, but that’s just one type. This is all just conjecture of course. So yeah, lo-fi...that’s my guess.
Old 26th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I think you’ll have a resurgence of more mature artists and subject matter.
Old 26th April 2019
Gear Addict

hopefully it gets that soulful post-disco treatment...let it evolve but put some funk back into it
Old 26th April 2019
Trap has very little to do with Hip Hop .
I believe barbershop music is more relevent to hip hop then Trap is.
Old 28th April 2019
Lives for gear
Trap is EDM with rapping.

Lofi is just another name for boom bap.

R&B is gonna make a comeback and out shine hiphop.
Old 28th April 2019
Lo-fi is Boom Bap without the boom haha.
But yeah, it definitely abuse the dirty sample texture concept .
Old 29th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Trap is EDM with rapping.

Lofi is just another name for boom bap.

R&B is gonna make a comeback and out shine hiphop.
Trap is not EDM with rapping... I don’t know what you’re listening to but those 2 are nothing alike. Maybe do your research on the history of trap music.

A lot of people aren’t familiar with the true meaning of trap after it’s gained such mainstream success and it’s sound being used by so many pop artists, but trap is about the lifestyle more than it is the sound. Just because something has heavily distorted 808, hi hats, and claps doesn’t mean it’s trap music.

[mod delete]

Last edited by Bender412; 29th April 2019 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Not the place for this
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodakell View Post
Trap is not EDM with rapping... I don’t know what you’re listening to but those 2 are nothing alike. Maybe do your research on the history of trap music.

A lot of people aren’t familiar with the true meaning of trap after it’s gained such mainstream success and it’s sound being used by so many pop artists, but trap is about the lifestyle more than it is the sound. Just because something has heavily distorted 808, hi hats, and claps doesn’t mean it’s trap music.

[mod delete)

I’m aware of the trap houses. The lifestyle is separate from the beats. Trap music with its distinct lack of sampling and heavy use of synths, sounds like random Soundclick instrumentals. There are beats on there from the 2000’s which sound like modern trap. That’s where a lot of the rappers were getting their beats. I don’t think Trap sounds anything like Bounce, Miami bass, Crunk or even Mannie Fresh stuff.

Last edited by Bender412; 29th April 2019 at 05:14 PM..
Old 29th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I’m aware of the trap houses. The lifestyle is separate from the beats. Trap music with its distinct lack of sampling and heavy use of synths, sounds like random Soundclick instrumentals. There are beats on there from the 2000’s which sound like modern trap. That’s where a lot of the rappers were getting their beats. I don’t think Trap sounds anything like Bounce, Miami bass, Crunk or even Mannie Fresh stuff.
Yeah but my point is the term “trap music” has been taken and misinterpreted by many people once it came to the EDM and pop world. The genre of “trap music” is all about the lifestyle. You can’t call a Taylor Swift song with distorted 808, clap, hi Hats, and call it a trap song. That’s just simply not how it works.
Old 29th April 2019
Thats simply not the music Hip hop heads are disgusted by....
No one care about Taylor Swift, she's not the issue. She make pop music....we dont care about Pop Music just as much as we dont care about Cardi B and Nicki Minaj fake ass.
Lets put things in context....
Here were talking about Tekashi the Snitch, Kodak Black the pedo, Lil pump the teletubies, Migos the ''kiss my feet grandpa ive made your music popular'', The Drake '' I'm so pink , lets do the dishes together''.

Who the hell said Trap was Taylor swift music anyways ??? You seem to misinterpret what people are rejecting.

[mod delete]

Last edited by Bender412; 29th April 2019 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Reference post deleted
Old 29th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Thats simply not the music Hip hop heads are disgusted by....
No one care about Taylor Swift, she's not the issue. She make pop music....we dont care about Pop Music just as much as we dont care about Cardi B and Nicki Minaj fake ass.
Lets put things in context....
Here were talking about Tekashi the Snitch, Kodak Black the pedo, Lil pump the teletubies, Migos the ''kiss my feet grandpa ive made your music popular'', The Drake '' I'm so pink , lets do the dishes together''.

Who the hell said Trap was Taylor swift music anyways ??? You seem to misinterpret what people are rejecting.

LOL I’m not gonna lie you have a point. But all the artists you named are trash but I think Migos are actual organic true trap artists. Really, most artists coming from Atlanta or from the south in general are true trap artists. Future, migos, 21 savage, young thug, etc etc. I enjoy all their music.

I like drake and him riding the trap music wave I don’t mind so much. He put the spotlight on Atlanta artists like future, migos, and others and even bringing them on his tours was cool thing to do. He didn’t just hop on their wave, he helped a lot of them out in the process which is repsctul thing to do in my opinion.

As for Tekashi69 and artists like that, I don’t even pay attention. That’s a whole other type of trash I don’t really care for or trying to give any attention to.

I agree a lot of the stuff the kids like these days are trash but it also seems like that wave only lasted like a good 2 years. I don’t notice anyone listening to lil pump and 69 anymore. And I’m pretty sure most people could agree it’s all terrible music.
Old 29th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodakell View Post
And I’m pretty sure most people could agree it’s all terrible music.
THANK YOU for acknowledging what we are saying.

[mod delete]

Last edited by Bender412; 29th April 2019 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Reference post deleted
Old 29th April 2019
I think hip hop in it’s original form... doesn’t really exist any more.

Hip hop in its first “mature” form, with the pillars, focus on community, and party atmosphere.... doesn’t truly exist any more. It left NY and got bastardized and lost it’s soul.

Mainstream sample-based boom bap stuff took a hit when people started suing... some of the greatest rappers who ever lived were murdered or died during this era, and this style survives despite that.

Since then Hip Hop has splintered off into different tribes. We have the South, Mid-west, Texan, so-cal, no-cal, grime, mumble, trap, NY boom bap, neo-soul, backpack, country-rap, krump, hyfpe, Mexican (some of these guys are seriously lyrical), slam poet coffee shop rap, homo thug rap, conscious rap, French hip hop, horror-core, hyphe, juggalo (smh) etc.

Where will trap go? My guess is all these styles and influences will follow the audience and the money.

Trap already went Caribbean last year... now seeing more African influences.

I hope it starts getting more lyrical and conscious, and more positive. I also hope they start letting more women in the door without making them into strippers or phone sex lyricists.

[mod delete]

Last edited by Bender412; 29th April 2019 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Reference post deleted
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukas View Post
coming from where? all of a sudden these Trap guys are going to sprout brain cells, or what? the lyrics, presentation... f'ing everything is so "dumbed down", i can't even believe how low the bar has been set. the lyrics/message of Rakim, or even Wu-Tang Clan compared to what's going on these days? it's like wise old scholars vs a bunch of 5th grade special ed students raised on a steady diet of lead paint chips. the kids today don't even appreciate those guys. they have no "culture", they didn't grow up hearing a world full of "real" music from all sorts of different artists.

that said, i'm all for what they actually have done. kids with no experience using a cracked copy of FL to make something "new", very similar to the punk rock movement of the 70s/80s. i wouldn't expect the punks to become "mature artists" any more than the Trap guys.
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolafish View Post
hopefully it gets that soulful post-disco treatment...let it evolve but put some funk back into it
Hopefully this^^^.

Some mainstream artists are using more live instrumentation on their tracks. I'm hoping that spreads & trickles down. Collaboration seems big right now. Hopefully producers will collab with or use more traditional musicians. That funk & soul likely won't come via samples.

Quote:
Trap is EDM with rapping...

...R&B is gonna make a comeback and out shine hiphop.
Maybe not EDM, but very dance/electronic sounding. Either way, the machine gun hats & severely synthetic instrumentation is not my thing.
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post

Hip hop in its first “mature” form, with the pillars, focus on community, and party atmosphere.... doesn’t truly exist any more. It left NY and got bastardized and lost it’s soul.

[mod delete]

I don't think this could be further from the truth. Trap is not hip hop it is a sub genre of rap that has become popular. Trap is mostly about living in the moment on a party vibe at least the biggest songs.

Boom Bap never goes away it just isn't highlighted like the likes of trap.

J. Cole , Nipsey, Kendrick, Meek, and Jay are out here building communities the only person on they level that you can say aint wit it that's in they atmosphere is Drake...

To OP hip hop is already beyond trap, trap is just in the spotlight.
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear
It's all about rhythm.

Eventually, someone will find a new very catchy rhythm that revolves around a certain BPM... and everyone will begin to make variations off of that. And it will be given a new name.

It's nothing we've heard yet... but, eventually it will happen. Someone will have a moment of brilliance... something that sounds great at XYZ tempo... and it will open up the flood gates to everyone finding different ways to flip it. It's what I love about HipHop. All of these little variations eventually add up.
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
It's all about rhythm.

Eventually, someone will find a new very catchy rhythm that revolves around a certain BPM... and everyone will begin to make variations off of that. And it will be given a new name.

It's nothing we've heard yet... but, eventually it will happen. Someone will have a moment of brilliance... something that sounds great at XYZ tempo... and it will open up the flood gates to everyone finding different ways to flip it. It's what I love about HipHop. All of these little variations eventually add up.
gogo is up next
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ Rukas this is what I personally want to champion as an artist and people have to want and learn how to create what they want/need but remember about Hip Hop: "It is generational gapped and divided and its anti-educational posturing limits cultural discussion and cannot totally serve Black folks. This dysfunction is tied to age-specific experience and expression. Because Hip Hop situates itself exclusively as a youth-identity rhetorical form, it will remain in arrested development artistically and will fail to provide an outlook which will serve the problems of the Black community. And it must then remain subservient to commercial market forces." William Banfield

See http://www.lewisrgordon.com/selected...he-problem.pdf

Last edited by boombapdame; 9th May 2019 at 02:37 PM..
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hope it starts getting more lyrical and conscious, and more positive. I also hope they start letting more women in the door without making them into strippers or phone sex lyricists.
Lyricism @ DomiBabi and consciousness ain't dead depending on who you listen to but thing is as long as Hip Hop's participants confuse conscious w/preachy and/or political, and remain infantilized (see post #20 ) Hip Hop will be a relic. As to the latter, peep

Last edited by boombapdame; 9th May 2019 at 02:38 PM..
Old 6th May 2019
f33
Gear Addict

I'd say rap has some sort of nirvana moment as in rock music going from hair metal to grunge.

i would think at some level it could be from the bass music/footwork movement. deeper sound design wise and tempos at 80/160 bpm flips. they're are and have been people doing this but i think at some point it hits the mainstream, like going from baggy jeans to skinny jeans back to baggy jeans.

as far as current sounds, if the kids werent diggin it, then it wouldnt be on the radio and video. im sure someone will bring a conspiracy theory to that statement but
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by f33 View Post
... i would think at some level it could be from the bass music/footwork movement. deeper sound design wise and tempos at 80/160 bpm flips. they're are and have been people doing this but i think at some point it hits the mainstream, like going from baggy jeans to skinny jeans back to baggy jeans.
so... jungle/dnb/dubstep? that would be cool. hope they step up the lyrics a bit and stay away from the goofy "jungle mc" thing. i'd like to see that.

i don't know what else they're going to do (not that it really matters to me, i don't follow it). i thought it was cool with XXXtentacion, etc doing that hard distorted stuff, did that not catch on? that's probably the best thing i've heard going, with what little exposure to it i have (my son played me a few tunes a while back). anything else like that? he played me some Juice WRLD more recently, that sounded pretty good. they're already moving away from the 808 kits.

i don't know if this guy is "cool" or what, but this sounds pretty interesting to me:

not big on the vocals/lyrics, but there's some nice production work going on there. they crush the 808 at 2:09 on this one as well.
Old 7th May 2019
Deleted 063dc0d
Hopefully, into the dust bin of history
Old 7th May 2019
Quote:
I'd say rap has some sort of nirvana moment as in rock music going from hair metal to grunge.

i would think at some level it could be from the bass music/footwork movement. deeper sound design wise and tempos at 80/160 bpm flips. they're are and have been people doing this but i think at some point it hits the mainstream, like going from baggy jeans to skinny jeans back to baggy jeans.

as far as current sounds, if the kids werent diggin it, then it wouldnt be on the radio and video. im sure someone will bring a conspiracy theory to that statement but
Sorry, I wont be your conspiracy theorist but I'd push your theory of ''back to the baggy jeans era'' thingy...I think that's pretty much the only hope we can get out of it right now. In complete transparency, I barely listened to the popular radio but I think it doesnt matter at this point, the business is elsewhere...youtube, itunes, When you think about it, its a sh!tload more easier then 25 years ago, where a simple 500$ camera wernt bringing you in the ballpark of making an half decent promotion video...

I mean, it really went elsewhere and if theres any wave that can start as credibile ingrediant for the artist doing it, you might see it comming back. But for now, what they love seeing is lambos, rainbow cornrolls and such. It's a trend, just like the Dance wave that we had in the 90's....

You know we"ll get through it soon enough and look back at it with an ashamed face just like '' cotton eye joe''.

Its just as corny at its roots anyways.

I say, dont sweat it.
Old 7th May 2019
f33
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
so... jungle/dnb/dubstep? that would be cool. hope they step up the lyrics a bit and stay away from the goofy "jungle mc" thing. i'd like to see that.

i don't know what else they're going to do (not that it really matters to me, i don't follow it). i thought it was cool with XXXtentacion, etc doing that hard distorted stuff, did that not catch on? that's probably the best thing i've heard going, with what little exposure to it i have (my son played me a few tunes a while back). anything else like that? he played me some Juice WRLD more recently, that sounded pretty good. they're already moving away from the 808 kits.

i don't know if this guy is "cool" or what, but this sounds pretty interesting to me:

not big on the vocals/lyrics, but there's some nice production work going on there. they crush the 808 at 2:09 on this one as well.
sorta but more like this, footwork still uses a lot of sampling and 808s but its at 160
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4M0v0H7NQM
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Mainstream sample-based boom bap stuff took a hit when people started suing... some of the greatest rappers who ever lived were murdered or died during this era, and this style survives despite that.

Since then Hip Hop has splintered off into different tribes. We have the South, Mid-west, Texan, so-cal, no-cal, grime, mumble, trap, NY boom bap, neo-soul, backpack, country-rap, krump, hyfpe, Mexican (some of these guys are seriously lyrical), slam poet coffee shop rap, homo thug rap, conscious rap, French hip hop, horror-core, hyphe, juggalo (smh) etc.

Where will trap go? My guess is all these styles and influences will follow the audience and the money.

Trap already went Caribbean last year... now seeing more African influences.

[mod delete]
TRUTH.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
coming from where? all of a sudden these Trap guys are going to sprout brain cells, or what? the lyrics, presentation... f'ing everything is so "dumbed down", i can't even believe how low the bar has been set. the lyrics/message of Rakim, or even Wu-Tang Clan compared to what's going on these days? it's like wise old scholars vs a bunch of 5th grade special ed students raised on a steady diet of lead paint chips. the kids today don't even appreciate those guys. they have no "culture", they didn't grow up hearing a world full of "real" music from all sorts of different artists.

that said, i'm all for what they actually have done. kids with no experience using a cracked copy of FL to make something "new", very similar to the punk rock movement of the 70s/80s. i wouldn't expect the punks to become "mature artists" any more than the Trap guys.
I agree 100%
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
It's all about rhythm.

In the Progessive Metal world (at least at the moment), it's all about absolutely bonkers polyrhythms. It's almost unfathomable that those musicians are even able to play some of those compositions, as they're so rhythmically complex.

My guess—at least really far into the future—is that intelligent hip-hop will have a massive resurgence, except it will embrace these same types of complex, modulating polyrhythms.

edit: if anyone is actually interested, check out the band "Tesseract" - Altered State, or "Polaris". You really do have to actually actively listen through the songs to really understand what I'm talking about.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
sorta but more like this, footwork still uses a lot of sampling and 808s but its at 160
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4M0v0H7NQM
yikes, i hope not. that was terrible. that's exactly the nightmare scenario of where things might be headed based on what we've seen the past 5-10 years or so, sort of a parody "how bad could it be?" ...but it's somehow already happening. crazy. ...and they even ruined dance culture at the same time.

"footwork" is such bull****, like watching someone do those nervous micro-tweaks on an EQ knob. no groove. ... ugh.

yep, hip-hop is doomed.

teach the children:

Last edited by jbuonacc; 9th May 2019 at 01:59 AM..
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search