The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
UAD Plugins for Rap?
Old 17th April 2019
Here for the gear

UAD Plugins for Rap?

I'm getting the Apollo Twin Duo. I record a lot of hip hop and I was wondering if anybody out there has any suggestions on must have uad plugins. I make beats and mix them by myself. Anybody know what are the best UAD plugins for hip hop?
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasdy View Post
I'm getting the Apollo Twin Duo. I record a lot of hip hop and I was wondering if anybody out there has any suggestions on must have uad plugins. I make beats and mix them by myself. Anybody know what are the best UAD plugins for hip hop?
There are no "best UAD (or any other brand) plugins for hip-hop", period. Sorry, that doesn't help, but it's the reality. Plugins generally are not genre-specific.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

Yep. That is true,
@op...Some definite plugs for me are the 1176 and La2a collections, Dbx 160, Fairchild, Neve 1073 and Api 550a and 560 eq’s. Along with the Cambridge eq, which comes free, you’ll be good to go. Any genre.
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Distressor.
Old 19th April 2019
Quote:
Its trial and error to see what YOU like the best for YOUR tracks and what is best for YOUR personnel preferences
Old 20th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Yep. That is true,
@op...Some definite plugs for me are the 1176 and La2a collections, Dbx 160, Fairchild, Neve 1073 and Api 550a and 560 eq’s. Along with the Cambridge eq, which comes free, you’ll be good to go. Any genre.
Don't forget the Voice of God. I'm pretty sure VOG is used on pretty much every major artists songs. It's staple 808/bass plugin for many of the top rap/hip hop engineers and even many pop engineers as well. Arguably the most used plugin for 808/bass all across the board when it comes to modern music low end bass stuff.
Old 20th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Focus on the compressors, then tape emulations.

In particular

Teletronix LA2A collection
1176 collection
Fairchild collection
Fatso
Distressor (haven't bought to review though)
Studer
Ampex.
Oxide.

Imo other stuff is great too but so is more native stuff.

The La2a emulations gets the most love. Such a smooth compressor. NI VC2A is good in the native front but UAD give you three emulations.

That said I'm considering selling my quad Apollo probably with the plugins (and I have alot), but I'm still weighing the pros and cons.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Little labs VOG is also great for vocal recordings made in "not ideal" conditions. Roll off some low end to remove the boxy / muddy room sound and bring back the lower octave to the voice with the VOG. Doesn't always work, but when it does...
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukas View Post
Distressor.
or the Arouser VST is a pretty amazing clone.
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear
Although this question is not really how things work... I gotta say that Pultec eq is great for boosting the low end, which is a big part of Hip Hop.

LA2A/76 are also stellar on all vocals, including aggressive rapping. Just saying.

But no plugin is geared towards any genre.
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Although this question is not really how things work... I gotta say that Pultec eq is great for boosting the low end, which is a big part of Hip Hop.

LA2A/76 are also stellar on all vocals, including aggressive rapping. Just saying.

VOG>Pultec.

Literally everyone uses VOG for 808s/bass in hip Hop music. At least nowadays...
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukas View Post
Distressor.
And the Culture Vulture.
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymuse77 View Post
And the Culture Vulture.
Culture Vulture is amazing. Too bad it takes so much DSP... I’ll get an octo card one of these days though.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear
I would go for:
1 EQ + 1 compressor (Or channel strip) (SSL, API, NEVE. Pick one.)
1 reverb (Ocean or 224)
1 Tape sim (800 or 102)- used durring mixing/bouncing not tracking
1 Pitch correction

You get some stuff with it. every few months that changes. Look at what you get. If you want more. Get a 3 pack. After you buy you get a 50$ voucher to get you back into the store.

If you get a 3 pack. Pick expencive ones, except the 480, that unit lacks horsepower for that plug. better off with the 224 if you want lexicon.

Look over the instance chart. figure out what settings you will actually use at one time.

If a plug is available in Native form. Don't get it in UAD form. Cheaper in native and often the same range of quality. I spent about 10 hours looking over UAD plugs then started to search for native equivilents to educate myself.

Compressors and some EQ's is where UAD shines. Few good reverbs too.

If you have a softube controller, Many UAD plugs can be controlled from that.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

I think if I'd be starting with UAD now, I'd just get all the analog classics Mk II versions and the new neve film console channelstrip

Add reverb and delay fx gradually to taste over time later (demo all of em)
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

I had a UAD-2 Satellite Quad but just got an Apollo X8p a month ago to try those 8 Unison pre’s tracking through the preamp plugins. The SSL E Channel is lovely. The Neve, 610’s (A/B) and actually all their pre’s and channelstrips with pre’s are really good. Starting to look at their reverbs, delays and tape machines..
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post

The pultecs are incredible for cutting as well. I’ve used 4 or 5 on a single track at times. The meq is just as nice as the eqp.

Oh....I use the Dimension D on EVERY mix.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search