The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What will producers use after the 808 gets boring?
Old 15th May 2019
Here for the gear
Me personally.. I'm so sick of the 808 hats.. they sound to clean and sorry to say.. boring!! And now especially when every god damn genre started using them so I refuse to make anything with those but when it comes to the kicks and snares , I see them as the perfect building blocks for any music. I make Boom Bap and I use them to layer with samples of acoustic drums.. 808 snare for snap, 909 snare for splash and n acoustic snare for flavor and room
My Kicks I treat the same.. A very boomy 808 layered with a very short and attacky punchy 808 and probably a real kick sample for flavor again. I could even layer my electric bass with a 808 sub bass if I miss sub..
Same goes for hats.. Any acoustic open hat will sound better with a 909 hat layer under it imo. Layering is key to full and loud sound
Old 15th May 2019
Deleted ea69e11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFleurBeats View Post
Me personally.. I'm so sick of the 808 hats.. they sound to clean and sorry to say.. boring!! And now especially when every god damn genre started using them so I refuse to make anything with those but when it comes to the kicks and snares , I see them as the perfect building blocks for any music. I make Boom Bap and I use them to layer with samples of acoustic drums.. 808 snare for snap, 909 snare for splash and n acoustic snare for flavor and room
My Kicks I treat the same.. A very boomy 808 layered with a very short and attacky punchy 808 and probably a real kick sample for flavor again. I could even layer my electric bass with a 808 sub bass if I miss sub..
Same goes for hats.. Any acoustic open hat will sound better with a 909 hat layer under it imo. Layering is key to full and loud sound
dont really agree with all your statements but your beats sound really good.

you doing you're mastering and mixing? those beats are jumping out the speakers in a good way
Old 16th May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by f33 View Post
dont really agree with all your statements but your beats sound really good.

you doing you're mastering and mixing? those beats are jumping out the speakers in a good way
Thanks fam Yes I do my own mix and mastering.. 3-4 years in the game now and so I had my fair share of practice, but like I said, layering your sounds will give you a big sound to begin with and then you can mix it to be even bigger and louder..

My principle is to get the best possible sound on its own without any mixing tricks. Just the basic principle of layering correctly and the occasional EQ for making space for your layers.. this will give you a huge sound (for example a huge kick which imo should be the loudest in your session and this will then allow you to create an even louder high end and a louder master etc etc... )

Check out this course.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98mtx0obWew
He explains how he layers, mixes and masters his tracks (which are EDM) but its the same principle for any bass heavy music..
Old 16th May 2019
Here for the gear

I use Punchbox by D16
Alternatives are Kick2 or BazzISM. I never get why people talk 24/7 about 808s, especially in the Techno Scene everyone is talking about 808/909 but when you see Behind the Scene Productions they Layer the **** out of funky Crap and random samples. But the newbies repeat what they read somewhere in the web over and over again and it ends in a big jerking circle pit
Old 16th May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belka View Post
I use Punchbox by D16
Nice, looks very promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belka View Post
I never get why people talk 24/7 about 808s, especially in the Techno Scene everyone is talking about 808/909 but when you see Behind the Scene Productions they Layer the **** out of funky Crap and random samples. But the newbies repeat what they read somewhere in the web over and over again and it ends in a big jerking circle pit
We are all sheep.
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

The machine gun hats are what I can't listen to. I don't want to hear any one sound in every beat, but the 808s are the best part of Trap IMO. But my experience is limited as I avoid it like the plague.

I too use 808s layered under my kicks depending on what I'm doing with my bass line. I believe 808s are classic and will always be around, just not gliding & pitching all over the place. If they do go away for a second, they'll be back in some form.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search