The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What will producers use after the 808 gets boring?
Old 30th April 2019
I’d like to see the 808 sound overthrown by the sounds of real mic’d Up drums and percussion.
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
I’d like to see the 808 sound overthrown by the sounds of real mic’d Up drums and percussion.
too expensive and takes too much skills
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Maniac

trap music is to hiphop/rap what punk music was to rock and roll in the 70s... quick, raw, attitude and disregard for the rules - trap music will grow and develop, like it already has done into a more ambient, lush sound. it'll continue to develop into it's own thing getting more and more sophisticated, meanwhile the next quick, raw style with attitude and disregard for the rules with sneak up out of nowhere.

my predictions... FL was the catalyst for trap - the step sequencer interface basically gave birth to the hihat rolls and the pitch changes, so whatever software catches fire next will probably influence the next style of music. probably something mobile based perhaps?
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear
It's been what, 30-40 years? I don't think it's gonna stop lol

The same way a piano doesn't get lame.. so long as you use it creatively.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which is funny when you think about it because a lot of music actually recorded with real miked up drums often gets replaced or layered up with drum samples.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaztotheUla View Post
too expensive and takes too much skills
Not too expensive at all really, and developing skills is part of what makes making music fun, or at least that use to be a part of it.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Island View Post
my predictions... FL was the catalyst for trap - the step sequencer interface basically gave birth to the hihat rolls and the pitch changes, so whatever software catches fire next will probably influence the next style of music. probably something mobile based perhaps?
The resurgence some years back of dudes picking up old MPCs (and the growing popularity of people investing in drum MIDI controllers at the time) was the actual catalyst IMO. The typical Trap hi hat rolls we are so used to now were influenced by the act of holding down note repeat and toggling different time divisions. Beat makers were making their Trap hi hat rolls using drum machines or drum pad controllers before FL Studio became the tool of choice.

FL Studio as a go to for Trap beats became more popular when Toronto based producers (who all make heavy use of FL Studio) started to grow in popularity with their style of Trap music that included the now famous 808 Bass pitch sliding.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
The same way a piano doesn't get lame.. so long as you use it creatively.
...And this is the only point that matters.

It's not the style of music that is tiring anyone out here, it's the lack of creativity being put into the music you're listening to.
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Nut

yeah, those geetars too, when ppl gonna get bored of that stuff eh?????????
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
The resurgence some years back of dudes picking up old MPCs (and the growing popularity of people investing in drum MIDI controllers at the time) was the actual catalyst IMO. The typical Trap hi hat rolls we are so used to now were influenced by the act of holding down note repeat and toggling different time divisions. Beat makers were making their Trap hi hat rolls using drum machines or drum pad controllers before FL Studio became the tool of choice.

FL Studio as a go to for Trap beats became more popular when Toronto based producers (who all make heavy use of FL Studio) started to grow in popularity with their style of Trap music that included the now famous 808 Bass pitch sliding.
I'm noticing a change with the current crop of beat meakers. More of them are switching from FL to Ableton. And I've been noticing that many of them start with melodies first before programming drums. 90% of beat makers from my generation started with drums first and programmed all the other instruments around the groove of the drums. So it's possible that the music will be less grimey and more melodic going forward.

Yes the machine gun hi hats and pitched snare rolls actually came from the MPC noterepeat which is basically an arpeggiator. But it's far easier to do in FL Studio than on an actual MPC, where you had to hold down note repeat whilst mashing very stiff pads (by modern standards) at the same time.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
I'm noticing a change with the current crop of beat meakers. More of them are switching from FL to Ableton. And I've been noticing that many of them start with melodies first before programming drums. 90% of beat makers from my generation started with drums first and programmed all the other instruments around the groove of the drums. So it's possible that the music will be less grimey and more melodic going forward.

Yes the machine gun hi hats and pitched snare rolls actually came from the MPC noterepeat which is basically an arpeggiator. But it's far easier to do in FL Studio than on an actual MPC, where you had to hold down note repeat whilst mashing very stiff pads (by modern standards) at the same time.

Been there before there was an MPC and it's not going anywhere. It'll fade and come back. The 808 will be there. How people use it will vary.

I actually prefer this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCyVncymnIQ
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post

Been there before there was an MPC and it's not going anywhere. It'll fade and come back. The 808 will be there. How people use it will vary.

I actually prefer this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCyVncymnIQ
Man this cat was way ahead of his time. Mind boggling how Kurtis Mantronik never gets mentioned along the likes of Marley Marl and J Dilla.
Old 1st May 2019
Deleted ea69e11
Quote:

no currently it came from fl studio and it came from drum machines not just the mpc. plenty of people were using other drum machines like sp 1200s to make 1/16 hihatlines at the same time mpcs were used. most kids couldnt afford an mpc, cracks of fl studio are free. not saying no one used mpcs, but it wasnt the choice of trap over fruity loops
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That thing has been used for 35 years. Doubtful it will ever be obsolete.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ea69e11 View Post
no currently it came from fl studio and it came from drum machines not just the mpc. plenty of people were using other drum machines like sp 1200s to make 1/16 hihatlines at the same time mpcs were used. most kids couldnt afford an mpc, cracks of fl studio are free. not saying no one used mpcs, but it wasnt the choice of trap over fruity loops
It definitely didn't come from FL Studio. By the time FL came around these techniques were already a staple of the genre.

Of all the drum machines of the early days the MPC had the most rock solid timing with really high ppqn. 90's hiphop was all about that MPC swing and groove.
Old 2nd May 2019
Deleted ea69e11
of course mpcs were, but the trap stuff that came in the last 10 years or so, maybe less, def FL Studio. Im assuming thats what we are talking about. early trap in the 00s wasnt based around an 808. NOt saying they were ever used, but it wasnt every song .

90s hip hop was based around sampled drums not 808 kicks and hi hats. There was a run in certain hiphop regions in the late 80s that def catered to the 808s
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Head

who was the first to sample 808 booms and pitch them for basslines?
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meez61 View Post
who was the first to sample 808 booms and pitch them for basslines?
Don't know, but I'd say every producer who's worth his salt in Hip Hop sampled the kick at the end of Ugly people be quiet
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
it's far easier to do in FL Studio than on an actual MPC, where you had to hold down note repeat whilst mashing very stiff pads (by modern standards) at the same time.
While some may find that to be the case, keep in mind that plenty of FL Studio users making Trap some years back without an MPC were making their Hi Hat rolls in FL using note repeat functions (or similar equivalent) on Akai, Korg, and M-Audio pad controllers.

Why?

The desire of working with something that felt more like an instrument versus programming MIDI with a mouse. People cared about that difference back then. Some still do now.
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by f33 View Post
of course mpcs were, but the trap stuff that came in the last 10 years or so, maybe less, def FL Studio. Im assuming thats what we are talking about. early trap in the 00s wasnt based around an 808. NOt saying they were ever used, but it wasnt every song .

90s hip hop was based around sampled drums not 808 kicks and hi hats. There was a run in certain hiphop regions in the late 80s that def catered to the 808s
The time frame that particular mini discussion was based on before you jumped in slightly precedes the style of Trap music that you're thinking of.

Based on the time frame that you're mentioning here though you would be correct, because that's roughly when Toronto style Trap music started to take off, and pretty much all of that stuff was done using FL Studio (for one reason or another...). The mindset behind American Trap production was slightly different before then though.
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Don't know, but I'd say every producer who's worth his salt in Hip Hop sampled the kick at the end of Ugly people be quiet
ha thats a good boom, Memphis producers were doing this stuff by mid nineties at least, I think you can trace a lot of the what gets called trap back to those guys (dj zirk, Paul and juicy, blackout etc) is that the general consensus with others on the subject?
Old 3rd May 2019
Deleted ea69e11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
The time frame that particular mini discussion was based on before you jumped in slightly precedes the style of Trap music that you're thinking of.

Based on the time frame that you're mentioning here though you would be correct, because that's roughly when Toronto style Trap music started to take off, and pretty much all of that stuff was done using FL Studio (for one reason or another...). The mindset behind American Trap production was slightly different before then though.
toronto trap?? what time frame are you talking about? like late 90s 3-6 era stuff?

trap is from the south(in the u.s.) period
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

trap is from the south(in the u.s.) period
You think Boi Wonder hasn’t made beats for trap songs?
Old 4th May 2019
Deleted ea69e11
Quote:
You think Boi Wonder hasn’t made beats for trap songs?
trap is from the south period
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

It may have obviously started in the southern U.S., but it's now certainly a global phenomenon and has been for a while. I know there were artists in Canada utilizing that 808 style a good decade ago (I'm thinking of like, The Weeknd - The Morning).
Old 5th May 2019
Deleted ea69e11
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
It may have obviously started in the southern U.S., but it's now certainly a global phenomenon and has been for a while. I know there were artists in Canada utilizing that 808 style a good decade ago (I'm thinking of like, The Weeknd - The Morning).
that tune came out in 2011.

im just saying that early stuff labeled trap from like t.i.(trapmuzik in 03), jeezy, gucci, etc, werent all using only 808s with the kick and the hihat on every track like it eventually became around 09,10,11. those were very influenced by fl studio and other daws. mpcs will always be around and used, but those were def old hat by that era and tons of other keyboard workstations and daws were capable of making that sound, not just an mpc.

the note repeat and mpc definitely made it easy, i bought my first on in 98, but i saw tons of people do that on trinty's and tritons, asr 10s/eps16s, and xp 50/60/80s in the late 90s era
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

it can't ever be as boring as the out of tune 2 note mumble rapping they do over it. lol
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

after or with 808 this!!

Last edited by maks; 13th May 2019 at 10:19 PM..
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
that tune came out in 2011.

im just saying that early stuff labeled trap from like t.i.(trapmuzik in 03), jeezy, gucci, etc, werent all using only 808s with the kick and the hihat on every track like it eventually became around 09,10,11. those were very influenced by fl studio and other daws.
Correct. And that specific influence on Trap production in the 2010's wasn't born in the South, where Akai MPC and Roland MV use was still more prevalent for Trap style beats.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Fashion comes and goes, while style stays, just like the 808.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search