The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help me break this beat down to better understand it!
Old 3rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Help me break this beat down to better understand it!

So I'm a big fan of pumping, swinging sample-based loops and that inspires a lot of my work. Now I already know the jist of what I do to achieve this from putting in the work obviously, hours into my DAW and deconstructing beats with what I'm looking for to better understand it.
This song Kafe by Knxwledge has a almost perfect example of what I love so I'm trying to break this beat down, I believe I know some of the techniques, starting with the bouncy bass, the low-pass filtering, the swing, pumpy velocities. But I don't know what I'm missing because I never get my drum rack to bounce like that, is it really just nutty sidechaining? Help me figure this mad head of his out friends

edit to link to sample used as wel: Leon Ware - Small Cafe

Last edited by sixteenpads; 3rd April 2019 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: added the sample link for comparison
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

It sounds like the original sample he's using already has some drums in it. So he's looping that melodic sample that has some rim shots in it, etc., and then he's overlaid his own breakbeat on top of it. But his breakbeat has likely been chopped up in order to quantize it so that it's perfectly in time, but the melodic sample underneath (which also has some drums) hasn't been chopped up and quantized perfectly, so its original humanized timing is out of sync quite a bit with the quantized breakbeat over the top of it... if that makes any sense.

Essentially, he's looped a melodic sample that has some drum hits in it which aren't quantized at all, and layered a break over it which IS quantized, and so there's a very audible interplay between the two which gives it that kind of drunken/sloppy timing feel to it.

If you can find the original breakbeat he's using, you could likely easily recreate the effect, if you can discern exactly what 2 bars he sampled from that original track; just chop up the breakbeat and make sure it's perfectly quantized in time, and then simply loop the 2 bars of that melodic sample (which has some drums in it, as I've said), and you'll automatically get that really off-beat groove.
Old 6th April 2019
Here for the gear
I've made a lot of beats like these. It's very simple to have such effect. On this particular example:

1 - atmosphere - very quiet, but audible, filtered crowd from some resturant or such place,
2 - percussion line - a little bit louder, probably conga, 4 bars long sample with original noise, a little bit filtered and reverbed,
3 - live hihat line
4 - kick and snare
5 - drum loop that probably occurs in original sample of these mellow chords
6 - "empty bass" - that occurs in original sample
7 - different other elements (like open hats, chants, noise fills, etc)

Except 2,3,4,7 all the rest is not quantized in any way. Kick with snare is the main element to which all the samples are sidechained, but the whole composition is not compressed in any other way between each sample (like some bus channels or something) - except mastering process at the end which is very important. Generally you can add some tape noise at the end and be aware of not to increase higher frequencies above a few kHz and keep everything in "muffled", lofi style.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search