The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mpc 3000 workflow in a 2019 studio
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

Mpc 3000 workflow in a 2019 studio

If you MPC dudes would so kindly indulge this question...

Just got a 3000 and trying to wrap my head around some good ways to learn it while incorporating in a tape - daw - tracking/mixing place.
I know there's no ez pass here but, Also cool to hear any tips / insights etc.

Wondering about approaching what folks love about the 3k but in a modern way.
...Utilizing the feel/sequencer, the inputs pushed for some things, the workflow that can be maybe limiting but, inspiring at times & less mucking around in the daw etc.

Not sure chopping on the 3000 brings any benefits over chopping in daw and flying things into the 3ks inputs?
If sequencing synths, the 3k would be the way to go there.

I guess how far to take something before dumping into daw will always be a track by track call but,
Just curious to hear others thoughts that have been down these roads and maybe sorted what works & doesn’t for anyone still committed to these sweet older gems.
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Nut

you
Old 31st March 2019
As you already know, the 3000 has a sound of its own.

The sequencer is also rock solid.

The part that is limiting ( for me ) is the lack of keyboard.

So what I do is that I route a keyboard into my midi in on my MPC 3000 and can play a 16 semi tone melody ( usually my bassline ) when I activate the 16 level ( Note Var ( Tunning ))

I also route my PC to my MPC 3000 and back in Midi so both sequencers are synced.

Now I have 5 other 12/16 bit samplers here + a drum machine and a Behringer model D so What I did is simply put a tie wrap to a metal bar by the side of my MPC 3000 and routed all the midi in cable from my different keyboard samplers and drum / synth module and I identified each tip so I dont have to follow the cable to know from which machine its going to.

On a mpc 3000 you have 2 midi in and 4 midi out so my 2 midi in are always connected but as you can see, I always have 3 midi out that can be routed to any other machine that I want to use. So I simply plug the tip I want in the midi out I want and change the midi routing in my mpc 3000 parameter to send the signal to those sampler.

That was the Midi part.

Now for my signal path, what I did is that I sent 10 track out from my converter to my console and 8 track in from my Console bus group to my converters. I'm left with 8 track unused which I've used to plug my samplers in ( Mono ) and I'm left with one Microphone input ( I use a old Series 800 from 1981....its a 18 in / 16 bus / 8 out + 4 tape outputs + 4 fx send return....an awesome console if you ask me but all of those old soundcraft pre 1985 were incredible console for the price in my opinion. ) )

Now 2 of my Converters out to the console bus group can send a signal from my pc to any of my sampler through the bus group send so I can sample anything that run through my console ( PC or turntable or whatever I plug in for that matter ).

It might look complicated when reading it like that but its a very easy setup and theres no plug / unplug replug switch or change etc....

So in the end, the result is that I can play my MPC 3000 as my main master sequencer and it will trigger my DAW + 3 other sampler/module of my choice.
The sound of each sampler/module is routed back to the console that I use to pre mix and route back to my converters through the console bus group then recorded in my DAW.

Now for chopping, its really a case by case scenario ...if your weak at finding a decent chopping point then use a DAW magnifying glass to send it to your MPC 3000 after that way you dont need to worry . I do both.
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing those thoughts. Some interesting ideas.
I said screw it though, and tossed it into a dumpster behind 60th & walnut
(Philly dumpster alert)

Was diving in a bit and realize the hard way is the main way you’re going to learn how to fit it into your own personal workflow preferences.
That said, it’s odd to me that there’s not a whole heart warming degree of help out there in the mpc world. Not sure why but whatever I guess.

Just had a talk w Chris @kanamit mpc. He’s been a totally solid dude in being helpful, post the sale. Highly recommended his services.
Bruce is also a really decent and helpful guy.

It’s a process that’s trickier than I thought I suppose to find a unique way to make it work for your needs & workflow. In that it shakes up my way approaching writing & tracking forcing me to re-examine previous habits etc.

It’s conversion i/o alone though does bring a sonic thing that’s nice. And sequencer feel obviously.
But, listening more! ...& less staring at waves is a sweet relief in and of itself.
Old 1st April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Thanks for sharing those thoughts. Some interesting ideas.
I said screw it though, and tossed it into a dumpster behind 60th & walnut
(Philly dumpster alert)

Quote:
That said, it’s odd to me that there’s not a whole heart warming degree of help out there in the mpc world. Not sure why but whatever I guess.
There is plenty:

Akai MPC Forums - MPC3000, MPC60

MPC 3000 public group | Facebook

Theres a Reddit group for MPC Users.

Theres a Yahoo Group for MPC 3000.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

An update for anyone interested. A good guy named Donnie made this video that basically goes through the manual..

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/mpc3000videomanual

Been increasingly finding my way around the 3k and what I find, is that even more than it’s sound, seq feel etc, is that its limitations are kinda refreshing.
+ it lends itself to a different kinda creative approach.
ie; I don’t personally dig the too many options that often weigh me down thing ..in a daw generally.
Gets my head outta the box a bit & finding songs ideas via a different workflow that can make it a pleasure to mess with. Different kinda box ofcouse but hell, anything to find some more process enjoyment & happy accidents.

My 3k in 2019 2¢
Old 4th August 2019
Lives for gear

limitations and restrictions can often be incredibly important.

"necessity is the mother of invention". Some of the highest levels of creativity can be spurred on by intrinsic limitations where people are forced to find novel ways of doing something.
Old 4th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
limitations and restrictions can often be incredibly important.

"necessity is the mother of invention". Some of the highest levels of creativity can be spurred on by intrinsic limitations where people are forced to find novel ways of doing something.
They’re incredibly important indeed.
Old 10th August 2019
Nah just go buy Ableton, Ill dispose of that old out of date 3000 for you. You dont want that thing trust me, its useless today. :D
Old 10th August 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

I have been selling my 3k for a year now. That says something about the demand.
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
I have been selling my 3k for a year now. That says something about the demand.
You having trouble selling your 3000 or keeping it?
Old 10th August 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh? View Post
You having trouble selling your 3000 or keeping it?
Would not call it a trouble, rather buyer`s dubiousness. But if you ask, selling, and that in Russia.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Would not call it a trouble, rather buyer`s dubiousness. But if you ask, selling, and that in Russia.
I’m good. I got 2. Original & LE. 11 years strong but been thinking of going all ITB. Bought my first 1 back in 08’ from a member here. What are you on now?
Old 11th August 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

Been on Fruity Loops for ages. Except some major support/development flaws like no different arpeggio channels + layer channel behaviour support and no repeat note button mad happy with it.
Old 11th August 2019
I think its honestly the price. The 60 and 3000 are up there strictly for collectors now. It IS an awesome historical piece, but the specs on it are such that anyone looking to jump into it, is not going to want to drop $1500+ on a machine with those hardware specs nowadays. I think even the MPC 2000s I see going for $5-600 are too much money. Sure I could get work done on it, but with 32mb? Sorry its not going to be much more than just the drum machine it was intended to be at that. I use the MPC Software for my whole setup now. Once I get a Live, its going all hardware, but its the only MPC that could keep up with me specwise too. I could do it with a 5000 I think, but when those are going for $800-1000 in some cases, yeah nah, for that money its a Live or save a bit more for an X. Ill stick with my $300 Studio/MPC software and have the luxuries of my systems 24GB of RAM, and the 8 TB of storage all at my preferred 24bit/48khz rate available heh.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

There’s a bunch of limitations but that’s kinda a + in my view. It’s about the sound, workflow & feel of it imo. I stumble onto cool accidents in a unique way with it. For now, it’s a keeper here anyway.

Mine has a SD reader option and was gone over by kanamit in a big way. Wasn't cheap but it’s good to know Chris is around to help if I ever had a tech issue. He’s a good dude.
Old 11th August 2019
Quote:
There’s a bunch of limitations but that’s kinda a + in my view. It’s about the sound, workflow & feel of it imo. I stumble onto cool accidents in a unique way with it. For now, it’s a keeper here anyway.

Mine has a SD reader option and was gone over by kanamit in a big way. Wasn't cheap but it’s good to know Chris is around to help if I ever had a tech issue. He’s a good dude.
Yeah as far as the actual OS, its definitely workable. Im talking more about project size though. I went through my MPC folder after posting that earlier and looked at the sizes of the tracks Im working on now. Smallest ones programs take up ~36MB so I wouldn't even be able to load my smallest one and work hehe. Id be doing workarounds just to move my stuff over to it. Could probably wing it from the start with it though. Im pretty sure all my samples are 24/48 too so right there that one would work when its back down to 16/44 or whatever the SND files were. The ones that are around twice that though, no hope for those going on any of the original Akai machines except the 4000. When I had an S2000, that meant sometimes loading 4 or 5 floppies just for one song. Thank god my EMU had a Zip drive in it haha.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
As you already know, the 3000 has a sound of its own.

The sequencer is also rock solid.

The part that is limiting ( for me ) is the lack of keyboard.

So what I do is that I route a keyboard into my midi in on my MPC 3000 and can play a 16 semi tone melody ( usually my bassline ) when I activate the 16 level ( Note Var ( Tunning ))

I also route my PC to my MPC 3000 and back in Midi so both sequencers are synced.

Now I have 5 other 12/16 bit samplers here + a drum machine and a Behringer model D so What I did is simply put a tie wrap to a metal bar by the side of my MPC 3000 and routed all the midi in cable from my different keyboard samplers and drum / synth module and I identified each tip so I dont have to follow the cable to know from which machine its going to.

On a mpc 3000 you have 2 midi in and 4 midi out so my 2 midi in are always connected but as you can see, I always have 3 midi out that can be routed to any other machine that I want to use. So I simply plug the tip I want in the midi out I want and change the midi routing in my mpc 3000 parameter to send the signal to those sampler.

That was the Midi part.

Now for my signal path, what I did is that I sent 10 track out from my converter to my console and 8 track in from my Console bus group to my converters. I'm left with 8 track unused which I've used to plug my samplers in ( Mono ) and I'm left with one Microphone input ( I use a old Series 800 from 1981....its a 18 in / 16 bus / 8 out + 4 tape outputs + 4 fx send return....an awesome console if you ask me but all of those old soundcraft pre 1985 were incredible console for the price in my opinion. ) )

Now 2 of my Converters out to the console bus group can send a signal from my pc to any of my sampler through the bus group send so I can sample anything that run through my console ( PC or turntable or whatever I plug in for that matter ).

It might look complicated when reading it like that but its a very easy setup and theres no plug / unplug replug switch or change etc....

So in the end, the result is that I can play my MPC 3000 as my main master sequencer and it will trigger my DAW + 3 other sampler/module of my choice.
The sound of each sampler/module is routed back to the console that I use to pre mix and route back to my converters through the console bus group then recorded in my DAW.

Now for chopping, its really a case by case scenario ...if your weak at finding a decent chopping point then use a DAW magnifying glass to send it to your MPC 3000 after that way you dont need to worry . I do both.
Why not just buy a midi patch bay, or use your Daw for midi routing?

You could leave everything patched in and sequence on your 3k.
Old 11th August 2019
I might recofigure my setup this winter. New gear comming in, some others will eventually leave. I'll see what I need and how I want to set it up.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I might recofigure my setup this winter. New gear comming in, some others will eventually leave. I'll see what I need and how I want to set it up.
My set up varies. Most often, I tend to patch all 4 midi out's from the Mpc into the computer, and route them in the computer to whichever piece of gear.. Only bad point is the computer has to be on to sequence. Good point is my midi routing is recalled when the session opens.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
How do you get this to work? What OS are you using?
Old 13th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouphome View Post
How do you get this to work? What OS are you using?

I'm on Vailixi.

Simply plug in a midi cable in the Midi out of my ASR-10 to the Midi in of my MPC 3000 and turn 16 level on for Note Var tunning.

And you play your keys.

Done.
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm on Vailixi.

Simply plug in a midi cable in the Midi out of my ASR-10 to the Midi in of my MPC 3000 and turn 16 level on for Note Var tunning.

And you play your keys.

Done.
Damn, had my mpc's since 96 and didnt know you could do this! Thanks, will try when back at studio
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm on Vailixi.

And you play your keys.

Done.
Can you show it on a video? Cause I cant seem to get it to work.

Thanks
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouphome View Post
Can you show it on a video? Cause I cant seem to get it to work.

Thanks
When you hit 16 levels/tuning, and trigger from your keyboard, what happens?
Old 15th August 2019
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
When you hit 16 levels/tuning, and trigger from your keyboard, what happens?
It just triggers al the samples that I got in the program.
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks, but it still doesnt show you actually using the 16 levels tuning function. Could be that you have 16 samples in that program. And have it set up chromatically.
I believe you that it works. But on all the other sites (Mpc-forums) people say it isn't possible.
You are the first one saying that this works.
Old 15th August 2019
I dont know what to tell you.

Maybe my MPC or my ASR are setup a certain way since I received them.

I literally plug and play.

If mine work, why would yours doesnt work.

And I understand what your saying that everybody says it doesnt work, I just made a google search and found the same mpc forums link as you... but then why mine work ?

I'm not that techy about my MPC or Samplers to be honest. I dont know what setting up my sample chromaticly mean and I wouldnt know how to do that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The manual covers all of this ****. It's worth reading through; it's really not that complex:

• The Note Variation Parameter field (NOTE VAR (TUNING) in the screen example above): This field has no label and appears only if NOTE VAR is selected in the Param field. It is a choice field and is used to determine which of the four Note Variation parameters is active. The four choices are:

1. (TUNING): If selected, the 16 pads play a single sound but at 16 chromatic tunings. The tuning range is controlled by the center pad field to the right.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search