The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mpc 3000 workflow in a 2019 studio
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
If you MPC dudes would so kindly indulge this question...

Just got a 3000 and trying to wrap my head around some good ways to learn it while incorporating in a tape - daw - tracking/mixing place.
I know there's no ez pass here but, Also cool to hear any tips / insights etc.

Wondering about approaching what folks love about the 3k but in a modern way.
...Utilizing the feel/sequencer, the inputs pushed for some things, the workflow that can be maybe limiting but, inspiring at times & less mucking around in the daw etc.

Not sure chopping on the 3000 brings any benefits over chopping in daw and flying things into the 3ks inputs?
If sequencing synths, the 3k would be the way to go there.

I guess how far to take something before dumping into daw will always be a track by track call but,
Just curious to hear others thoughts that have been down these roads and maybe sorted what works & doesn’t for anyone still committed to these sweet older gems.
You should ALREADY have something you want to do with it if you went through the trouble of getting one.

So, whatever your vision was, that prompted you to buy it...DO THAT.
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
You should ALREADY have something you want to do with it if you went through the trouble of getting one.

So, whatever your vision was, that prompted you to buy it...DO THAT.
Fair enough. When I posted that 5 months its workflow was a curious & unknown territory, at least from where I was coming from. Wasn’t sure if it would be a good fit here w it’s limitations but, turns out to be good thing. At least for now.

Since then been learning more and more about it and using it in some pretty enjoyable ways. Sampling is inspiring at times but, the feel of it for drum stuff (combined w the feel of acoustic hi hat or cymbals & toms - percussive overdubs) is where it’s at for me the most. Getting my head outta the box more and just experimenting w it makes it even more a winner.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
The manual covers all of this ****. It's worth reading through; it's really not that complex:

• The Note Variation Parameter field (NOTE VAR (TUNING) in the screen example above): This field has no label and appears only if NOTE VAR is selected in the Param field. It is a choice field and is used to determine which of the four Note Variation parameters is active. The four choices are:

1. (TUNING): If selected, the 16 pads play a single sound but at 16 chromatic tunings. The tuning range is controlled by the center pad field to the right.
Yeah that is the easy part. But now how does someone get it to work when triggering from external midi keyboard (I now believe that doesn't work at all).
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouphome View Post
Yeah that is the easy part. But now how does someone get it to work when triggering from external midi keyboard (I now believe that doesn't work at all).
you plug your midi keyboard into your MPC's midi in. If the MPC is set to play chromatically, it will play that way from the pads or any external midi controller. If you set it to 16 levels, it will do the same when triggered from an external midi controller, etc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
you plug your midi keyboard into your MPC's midi in. If the MPC is set to play chromatically, it will play that way from the pads or any external midi controller. If you set it to 16 levels, it will do the same when triggered from an external midi controller, etc.
It might be that way on newer mpc's (after the 4k) but after a lot of research. the 16 level tuning function doesn't work via midi.

https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=133510

Tried it with my 3k 2k 4k.

Chromatically programmed then yes. but No 16 levels.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

really? it's been SO long, but I could swear that my old 2kXL was capable of this... could be totally wrong, though!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouphome View Post
It might be that way on newer mpc's (after the 4k) but after a lot of research. the 16 level tuning function doesn't work via midi.

https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=133510

Tried it with my 3k 2k 4k.

Chromatically programmed then yes. but No 16 levels.
That function has never worked via MIDI on any MPC.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search