The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beautiful Hi Hat sound
Old 9th March 2019
Here for the gear

Beautiful Hi Hat sound

Greetings!

I'm looking for hi-hat sound inspirations. Please share names of tunes and performers that come to your mind when I say INCREDIBLE HI-HAT SOUND.
Old 9th March 2019
Lives for gear
Tastes vary so much over decades and genres. For their time and place, both “Shaft” and “Superfly” introduced a more prominent hat that did more than keep “lawn sprinkler” time. Those two songs reached a huge crossover audience.
I don’t think the two hats sound similar, and I don’t know who played and recorded them, but they were milestone tracks.
Old 10th March 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Bushman,

Superfly I presume you meant the one by Curtis Mayfield.

I really liked the sound of hi hat in Shaft theme. Thanks for this one. It turns the track was written and recorded by Isaac Hayes in 1971. Willie Hall played the drums. That disco sound I always enjoy.
Old 10th March 2019
Gear Addict
Most of the times I like 'fat' hihat sound instead of 'thin' thats why I prefer Theme from S.W.A.T. instead of Shaft, thats why I often don't like the sound of the 808 hats. hipass filter? yes but just to cut the low end. I like the mid range so don't cut it.
Beside the SWAT theme 'I see no reason' by Titanic comes to my mind (although I don't like the reverb on that example that much). The hat goes down to 150 Hz.
For OpenHat, again, I like the sound more more 'ruff' more like pshshshs instead of psssss More like a choked crash
But in the end it all depends on what fit to the rest of the song
well, had anybody ever used a 'fat' hat for kind of 'trap' patterns? I think I try something like that
peace
Old 24th March 2019
Here for the gear

I like the hi hats in the T.I. song 'Paperwork'
Mick Guzauski mixed this song, so not only the hi hats but the whole mix is really tasty.
Pharrell has some nice vocals on the song too, all-around quality Hip Hop
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Head
Might sound strange but I really like what ¡Mayday! did on News to Me.

What I find nice about that hi hat is that it is so smooth in the background, completely unspectacular and not annoying. In my opinion the hardest part about hi hats is that they start to be annoying so quickly.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

The highhats on Emotional Rescue by Rolling Stones always please me. The whole drum track pleases me.
Old 30th March 2019
‘You’re a Big Girl Now’ Bob Dylan always struck me as a truly beautiful hi-hat.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search