The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best 808 / Kick Samples and Where to Find Them
Old 23rd February 2019
Gear Maniac

Best 808 / Kick Samples and Where to Find Them

I have some new clients coming in that have specifically asked for us to replace some of their 808's & Kicks in their already arranged productions to fit the nature of the relevant sound "right now". Also beyond that we need to really ramp up our "folders" of drum sounds. I haven't had much time to really sit and scour the internet due to my schedule but if anyone has some opinions or at least a starting point on where to get some really great low end sounds that are "relevant" and not ancient sounding I would really appreciate it.

Obviously we spend plenty of time perfecting each sound in the mix, but sometimes it just doesn't cut it and they need to be swapped out for a more relevant sounding kick/808, and thats exactly what the people who brought this project in want us to do. Any info would be helpful!

Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

Honestly, I think the Roland 808 vst plug is fantastic, and probably a bit more flexible than scouring for a specific sample...

The Boom Library "Enforcer" vst is also somewhat worth checking out—you can sidechain kicks to it and have it trigger a customized sub "boom" to use in parallel.

Wave Alchemy also made some decent 808 libraries for Kontakt.
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephew312 View Post
I have some new clients coming in that have specifically asked for us to replace some of their 808's & Kicks in their already arranged productions to fit the nature of the relevant sound "right now". Also beyond that we need to really ramp up our "folders" of drum sounds. I haven't had much time to really sit and scour the internet due to my schedule but if anyone has some opinions or at least a starting point on where to get some really great low end sounds that are "relevant" and not ancient sounding I would really appreciate it.

Obviously we spend plenty of time perfecting each sound in the mix, but sometimes it just doesn't cut it and they need to be swapped out for a more relevant sounding kick/808, and thats exactly what the people who brought this project in want us to do. Any info would be helpful!

got you, these are the hard 808s popular in rap music right now, alotta drums are on r/drumkits

808 collection: 500+ 808s i have collected : Drumkits

Here'''s 18 Brand-New, Hand-Crafted 808s [-6dB] [Ronny J & London On Da Track Inspired] Hope you guys enjoy <3 : Drumkits

Hard Hitting Kicks – Google Drive

FAMOUS 808s – Google Drive
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks for this.. big help!
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear
Check tape808 and their other libraries.
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear

I often create my own 808-ish sub booms manually—it's a very simple trick and can take some finagling to get perfect, but I generally use it with every mix I ever do, and it always helps create a very nice additional sub-bass to thicken things up. This is one of those secret weapons I developed ages and ages ago :D

1) Create an aux bus, (pre-fader) from your kick so you have a duplicate of it. Turn the fader all the way down on the original kick (assuring you've set your send to be pre-fader so you only hear your duplicate channel).

2) On your duplicate kick channel (this can be an FX channel, but I often use a Group bus instead, because it allows aux sends) run Waves RBass, set at 32hz (the lowest freq. setting), and make sure the output isn't clipping

3) Run a resonant low pass filter after the RBass, and set the cutoff very low, with the resonance extremely high—you need to sweep around very carefully through your low frequencies to hit the right spot—with your resonance high enough, it will start to boom and the resonance will start self-oscillating to create a constant sine wave. Back off the resonance until it stops self-oscillating and you get a "boom" that has just as much decay on it as you want.

That's basically it! You can then adjust the intensity level of the RBass to fine tune things, and sometimes you can move the RBass so it's after the low pass filter, if it sounds better. Now you just turn this channel all the way down, and then slowly mix it back in with the original kick/drums to taste. If you're doing this from a Group Bus, you can also use the aux sends to do parallel processing of this sub boom—send it out to another aux channel and use saturation or compression/expansion/transient shaping, etc., which can then also be mixed back in with the other channels to taste.

You can also do this trick from a full mix of drums if you use a really tight gate before the RBass/low-pass filter—you definitely need to adjust the side-chain detection so it's only responding to the kick, and then have a super fast attack and release. It actually works really well.

Another way of doing it is by using a copy of your original kick, and detuning it by an octave—this will often time give you a more coherent sound, as the harmonics of the octave-below-detuned kick will align perfectly with the original kick, so there won't be any weird dissonance caused by the arbitrary tuning of the low-pass filter in the first method described (this can be an issue especially if you have a bassline that's around the same frequency range).
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Addict

If you mean actual "Roland 808" sounds than Goldbaby is great. But I don't think that's what you're looking for.

If I were you, I'd just go with Splice. You can definitely find great, current sounds there. $10 for 100 credits per month... I've stopped searching for sample packs.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
If you mean actual "Roland 808" sounds than Goldbaby is great. But I don't think that's what you're looking for.

If I were you, I'd just go with Splice. You can definitely find great, current sounds there. $10 for 100 credits per month... I've stopped searching for sample packs.
this too, splice is amazing
Old 11th March 2019
Gear Maniac

havent had the chance to check out splice yet... think I will give it a shot this wk. Any specific kits you guys recommend?
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Addict

Good thing about splice is you don't have to download whole kits or packs. Just pick and choose samples. So you can just browse by sound and sort by popular or recent for your genre and find some current stuff.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Ghost rage on splice has some good 808's to start from, I like the clean one and adjust it to taste.
Old 30th December 2019
Here for the gear

@ nephew312 maaly raw, zaytoven, bighead, supah mario, southside, and scott storch - on splice all have the hard modern sounds youre looking for!
Old 31st December 2019
Old 19th September 2020
Here for the gear
808 BUT MORE COMPRESSED FREE

You will get a lot of 808 sounds, recorded through the legendary the Gates STA-LEVEL. All .WAV files recorded in tender 24 Bit / 96 kHz.

https://www.samplesbuthappy.com/shop...ompressed-free
📝 Reply