The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing bass baritone vocals
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head
Mixing bass baritone vocals

Hey I’ve been growing around the forum and I don’t see much information on mixing bass - baritone vocals.

First thing I noticed is it’s hard to get autotune to work on vocals cause it’s so low

Second thing I noticed is that reducing 60-79 hz with a high pass will already start thinning the vocals because that’s where most of
The definition is.

I also feel if you don’t have the correct mic (98!( in it will sound really high in the high fq and I always feel that takes away. I feel baritone vocals are supposed to be very smooth, for example Nate dogg, Barry White
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I think a good mic will definitely help . When i EQ vocal starts to get very thin. Most of the voices that way I’ve dealt with, ended up being more harm than good when I eq. I do minimal eq and you’ll be surprised how good the finish product sounds. This works for me
Old 3 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by larmusicgroup View Post
you’ll be surprised how good the finish product sounds.
How humble.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
How humble.
Just giving my input
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
First thing I noticed is it’s hard to get Autotune to work on vocals cause it’s so low
You have to approach it differently then if you were doing it to a alto or soprano vocal track.

Quote:
Second thing I noticed is that reducing 60-79 hz with a high pass will already start thinning the vocals because that’s where most of
The definition is.
There are no set things to cut and boost, so if you are cutting those ranges and its making it sound thin, stop doing that. Every single vocal is different, so do not do what others do with their vocals, it will not work.

You do only what will make your vocal sound better. This will take using your ears and knowledge to decide what to add or cut. When mixing Baritone vocals in a song, you need to be aware of all the other instrument sin that same frequency filed and carve out pockets in the other instruments in that frequency range to fit the vocal so it doesn't compete with the other instruments in the mix. Look up Complimentary EQ Techniques. This will help you mix every single instrument track better and have them sound clear and not competing over each other..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search