The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
which is the best saturation plugin Saturation Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

which is the best saturation plugin

Hey guys I'm having a problem deciding among these plug-ins.... wavesNLS or fabfilter Saturn or Soundtoys decapitater.... I would be great full if you would also give me some tips and tricks on saturation
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I use 3 different types of saturation plug-ins subtly on almost all of my tracks except vocals when I might use one or none, really nice tube preamps give great saturation for vocals

Usually go console/tape/single or multiband(I really like using Saturn here)

I don’t use decapitator as i refuse to ever support any company that requires ilok, but I hear good things about it, the key with saturation is not to over do it unless that’s what your trying to do. The digital audio work station can sound thin and weak, so I use saturation to add depth and kind of venture out of a digital sound, it kind of allows things to seem louder without necessarily getting louder.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I mostly use Klanghelm's SDRR. It can go from insanely subtle to completely overboard so it can accomplish a lot in one plug and sounds good to. I don't use it for 2buss duties though. The only saturation on my 2buss is Slate VCC in SSL mode and Ferric TDS. But honestly, I could probably bypass the saturation on both and have a hard time noticing the difference as both are VERY VERY VERY subtle.
Old 2 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
I mostly use Klanghelm's SDRR. It can go from insanely subtle to completely overboard so it can accomplish a lot in one plug and sounds good to. I don't use it for 2buss duties though. The only saturation on my 2buss is Slate VCC in SSL mode and Ferric TDS. But honestly, I could probably bypass the saturation on both and have a hard time noticing the difference as both are VERY VERY VERY subtle.
Btw, Chris, what's your monitor DAC? I am asking because I have accidentally tried my cheap chinese sabre es9018 USB at 96 vs the usual 44 and the difference on the same material, be it 44 stuff upsampled at 96 or 96 stuff at 96 vs 44 stuff at 44 or 96 stuff downsampled at 44 is just mindfblowing.
Edit: to stay on topic, TubeDriver being a free tube emulation vst by NickCrow is kind of wet/fat sound, though not limiting in terms of absolute level unless cranked up.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodie View Post
Hey guys I'm having a problem deciding among these plug-ins.... wavesNLS or fabfilter Saturn or Soundtoys decapitater.... I would be great full if you would also give me some tips and tricks on saturation
Waves NLS is a totally different plugin effect (very mild saturation/harmonic distortion to simulate analog channels), so probably discard that? (or the other two)

I own FabFilter Saturn and Soundtoys Decapitator and Soundtoys gets used 99% of the time, although both are good - you can go from pretty mild to ott saturation/distortion. Decapitator is fantastic (as are all Soundtoys) and gets used on everything.

Depends what you’re after.

Soundtoys requires an Ilock account (free) but not necessarily an ilock as far as I am aware. I don’t understand the issue some people have with ilock - I’ve used it for years without issue.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmanzie View Post

Soundtoys requires an Ilock account (free) but not necessarily an ilock as far as I am aware. I don’t understand the issue some people have with ilock - I’ve used it for years without issue.
Lol at an ilok account being free being a sticking point, you couldn’t pay me to use it(with in reason of course haha)

Companies hiring a third party(ilok) with awful customer support to allow you to use what you already own is bad business. It wouldn’t be as bad if it was a one time shot and your done, but Constantly having to maintain your ilok account and having to activate and deactivate is like why would I ever want to deal with that, so funny how izotope gives you a choice, they know what’s up, some people need to take their plug-ins and use them on the go and different studios which is understandable, me I just take my laptop and am able to do what I need to, so give people the option at least, not demand they use ilok.

The ilok software and process is no gem itself, there’s so many huge companies that have their own authorization software and works like a charm, click, your ✅ on to making music.

How many people have fell victim to an ilok error message upon starting arrangements, like wow, time to go trouble shoot
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artcutech View Post
Constantly having to maintain your ilok account and having to activate and deactivate is like why would I ever want to deal withHow many people have fell victim to an ilok error message upon starting arrangements, like wow, time to go trouble shoot
That’s not my experience at all, I’ve never had a single problem. And anyway you don’t need the ilok dongle to run Soundtoys (and off topic here but ALL Soundtoys plugins are brilliant

Last edited by tedmanzie; 2 weeks ago at 10:51 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmanzie View Post
That’s not my experience at all, I’ve never had a single problem. And anyway you don’t need the ilok dongle to run Soundtoys (and off topic here but ALL Soundtoys plugins are brilliant
I know you don’t need the dongle just to authorize, the only thing I could see ilok being useful for is using it to run around on multiple setups, and if that’s what people need it for then give them the option of using ilok, but for people that just want to authorize their software having them open Up and maintain an ilok account is bad business, ilok account can start acting funny when making changes to your computer and requires constant updating and maintaining, it’s like an non stop authorization process, really bad business. I don’t see how companies are going to keep using it in the future for simple authorizations not the dongle aspect
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I also use uad culture vulture but don’t like it as much as Saturn, it’s the tone faders that really put Saturn over the top imo, my console is usually a 1073 channel strip and tape I use the studer

All from uad who’s plug-ins are brilliant also, who seem to have one of the best authorizations i’ve ever experienced, even though you have to have dsp to run them. Fab filter as well, the easiest one stop authorization copy and paste license key and that’s it, never have to worry about any authorization again, there are so many brilliant plug-ins and companies out there who have their customers in mind and it goes a long way
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

The brand new Softube Harmonics Analog is really good. Reminds me of SDRR with the EQ and compression characteristics.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Saturn, SDRR, Softube Knob, IVGI2, Trash 2, MWaveShaper, SGA1566, Sausage Crapinator, Devastor 2... all have a different sound. You can never have too many saturators, imo.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot guys this really helps
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Saturn is a more flexible distortion plugin, with several different 'types'. NLS is a very specific emulation of saturation from 3 different mixing desk consoles. Decapitator is great, but it's quite a bit more extreme than the others (though Saturn can get very extreme as well). If you're looking for more 'analog style' subtle saturation to use on every channel, I'd go with NLS, as that's what it's meant for. If you want something extreme, the other 2 would do.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
Saturn is a more flexible distortion plugin, with several different 'types'. NLS is a very specific emulation of saturation from 3 different mixing desk consoles. Decapitator is great, but it's quite a bit more extreme than the others (though Saturn can get very extreme as well). If you're looking for more 'analog style' subtle saturation to use on every channel, I'd go with NLS, as that's what it's meant for. If you want something extreme, the other 2 would do.
Sup Atma

Have you ever tried the tone faders on Saturn to give samples that lovely hardware saturation sound? The closest thing I’ve heard on a saturation plug-in to give me that old depth, along with console and tape I feel it gets me 90% there

I’m about to buy a kronos and can’t wait to to see what type of saturation i get from the onboard sampler
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Decapitator
SDRR 2
UBK-1
Saturation Knob
UAD Tapes
Ozone
D O N E
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Add HG-2 and VSM-3 to the list.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sup Atma

Have you ever tried the tone faders on Saturn to give samples that lovely hardware saturation sound? The closest thing I’ve heard on a saturation plug-in to give me that old depth, along with console and tape I feel it gets me 90% there

I’m about to buy a kronos and can’t wait to to see what type of saturation i get from the onboard sampler
Honestly, I haven't spent enough time with Saturn. Regarding the Kronos; the onboard sampler isn't going to give you any kind of 'sound' or character. Any modern sampler is going to reproduce nearly perfectly, whatever you put into it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Honestly, I haven't spent enough time with Saturn. Regarding the Kronos; the onboard sampler isn't going to give you any kind of 'sound' or character. Any modern sampler is going to reproduce nearly perfectly, whatever you put into it.
I’ve spoken with people who tell me the Kronos sampler sounds amazing, I would assume it’s as good as the original motif which was released in 2001-2003 and that thing has character and sound I’ve been trying to recreate and can’t do so ITB, I can get about 90% of the way there with heavy plug-in treatment. Korg also has tons of samplers that are used everywhere and give off an amazing sound, saturation and character as well, I would assume their flagship workstation has a great sampler that adds depth and saturation, I would consider the motif to be modern and have a modern sampler, are you saying that it produces exactly what I put into it nearly perfectly? cause its sounds so much warmer fuller and rich after sampling into it and I would assume the Kronos is not to far off of that.

obviously I'm not talking about loading samples but actually sampling/recording them into the unit
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve spoken with people who tell me the Kronos sampler sounds amazing, I would assume it’s as good as the original motif which was released in 2001-2003 and that thing has character and sound I’ve been trying to recreate and can’t do so ITB, I can get about 90% of the way there with heavy plug-in treatment. Korg also has tons of samplers that are used everywhere and give off an amazing sound, saturation and character as well, I would assume their flagship workstation has a great sampler that adds depth and saturation, I would consider the motif to be modern and have a modern sampler, are you saying that it produces exactly what I put into it nearly perfectly? cause its sounds so much warmer fuller and rich after sampling into it and I would assume the Kronos is not to far off of that.

obviously I'm not talking about loading samples but actually sampling/recording them into the unit
Yeah, technically speaking, any modern sampler like that utilizes contemporary AD/DA converters, as well as extremely clean preamps, as well as fairly advanced sample interpolation, so anything you sample into it will sound essentially identical to the source.

The reason vintage samplers have so much character is actually mainly because of the flaws of early digital technology, which in retrospect add a great deal of color and distortion to the signal. Any modern sampler is generally capable of reproducing the original sample nearly flawlessly.

This is the reason Akai S950s, Emu SP1200s, etc., are so expensive nowadays—it's nearly impossible to recreate their exact character ITB.

That isn't to say a Kronos can't do great things with samples (I've never used one, so I have no idea), but you're not going to get any kind of discernable character just by sampling into it.

There are a number of relatively cheap vintage samplers out there that will give you a great deal of character if you know what to look for, though all of them require a great deal of time/effort to actually use. It really depends upon how dedicated you are to get a specific sound, but I can guarantee you that a Kronos isn't going to make a difference.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yeah, technically speaking, any modern sampler like that utilizes contemporary AD/DA converters, as well as extremely clean preamps, as well as fairly advanced sample interpolation, so anything you sample into it will sound essentially identical to the source.

The reason vintage samplers have so much character is actually mainly because of the flaws of early digital technology, which in retrospect add a great deal of color and distortion to the signal. Any modern sampler is generally capable of reproducing the original sample nearly flawlessly.

This is the reason Akai S950s, Emu SP1200s, etc., are so expensive nowadays—it's nearly impossible to recreate their exact character ITB.

That isn't to say a Kronos can't do great things with samples (I've never used one, so I have no idea), but you're not going to get any kind of discernable character just by sampling into it.
So what about the original motif? would that be considered a modern or vintage sampler in your eyes? cause that thing definitely adds a great deal of character by just sampling into it
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what about the original motif? would that be considered a modern or vintage sampler in your eyes? cause that thing definitely adds a great deal of character by just sampling into it
To be honest, I've never used one, so I can't comment. Being that it was made in 2001, I'd consider it a fairly modern instrument, and AD/DA converters/interpolation algorithms at that time were still pretty advanced, so it likely did impart some color to samples but honestly, I doubt it was very much at all.

If you want 'color' from samplers you need to go back to the 80s/early 90s.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
To be honest, I've never used one, so I can't comment. Being that it was made in 2001, I'd consider it a fairly modern instrument, and AD/DA converters/interpolation algorithms at that time were still pretty advanced, so it likely did impart some color to samples but honestly, I doubt it was very much at all.

If you want 'color' from samplers you need to go back to the 80s/early 90s.
and so this is my point, when sampling into the motif the playback immediately was just so juicy and when spreading the range just wow all up and down the keybed, with absolutely no effects or anything added, I can't recreate that sound, sampling into an Apollo unison Neve preamp and with all types of heavy saturation it gets close with a UA 1073 channel strip as console, studer and then Saturn or thermionic culture,but literally no comparison what so ever honestly and without those saturation plug-ins it's laughable

I've been looking for one in decent condition used at a decent price just to use for sampling but haven't really went ahead and made the jump, but might have too soon. I'm getting the Kronos regardless and would like to have the same feeling I once did sampling into the motif
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've tried them all. Personally, in my opinion nothings beats nebula and their brand, but a huge cpu monster. I stopped using for more algo alternatives. From all i tested I'd say the best 2 that sound like real saturation and does something special to transients is waves factory spectre is hands down the best of what i tested. I had a client who always sends real harsh tracks in the upper ranges and i can eq it out, but splatting spectre on there just smooths all that.

2nd favorite is Mango. Very excellent as well, however you need to over sample it if working at 44k. Most saturators imo just distort the sound and makes things more muffled. I come from tape days and really do hate digital, so I am always after that elusive sound in the digital realm.

all of this is subjective of course.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You absolutely need to demo True Iron (think of that like a console - add it to each track) and Advanced Contemporary Color (just read the thread).

StandardCLIP is also excellent.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
You absolutely need to demo True Iron (think of that like a console - add it to each track) and Advanced Contemporary Color (just read the thread).

StandardCLIP is also excellent.
forgot about true iron that stays on my kicks and snares. really try spectre on the master bus.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, True Iron is absolutely incredible.
Old 5 days ago
Omegas, Reddi, UBK-1, Decapitator on A, E and M only. The VCC is also good.
Any way for the price and sound I'd go Kush ones above.

The NLS is just weak.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru
Don't forget the humble fielding Reviver or Echoboy w/o echo!.....
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosj View Post
Omegas, Reddi, UBK-1, Decapitator on A, E and M only. The VCC is also good.
Any way for the price and sound I'd go Kush ones above.

The NLS is just weak.
You've got to kidding. NLS is one of the most EXTREME, over-the-top mixing console emulations ever made. When you start to drive the individual channels, it gets absolutely insane. The "Mike" or Abbey Road console emulations are exceptionally prone to incredibly wonderful saturation, and every single channel has a different character, which becomes more and more pronounced the harder you drive it. The Slate Digital VCC, by comparison, is exactly what I'd consider "weak" in comparison. Not to say it's not a great plug, but it doesn't have anywhere near the level of character and saturation you get with NLS. It's not even in the same ballpark.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
forgot about true iron that stays on my kicks and snares. really try spectre on the master bus.
Big fan of Spectre also! Great on the mixbus as you say.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search