The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
which is the best saturation plugin
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Nut

<mod delete>

I'm going to update the thread also in regards to my past posts, I bought an original motif again and it came in a couple of days ago, and I'm getting those same amazing results that I did before as far as the sampling, but what I noticed that really made me happy was just running the line through the motif input with the input gain all the way up and then out into the Apollo and recording the sample does wonders to the depth/saturation/quality, I can drop that recording into a simpler plug-in in Ableton and it sounds already so warm and full as opposed to thin and needing 3 saturation plug-ins if going straight from my mixer and recording the sample that way. Yesterday I ran a drum break through it then dropped it into simpler in slice mode and instant joy! no longer sounds thin and cheap dry, but immediately has a warmth that I cannot reproduce ITB, although I will still sprinkle saturation treatment to get that full cohesiveness in my mix

Last edited by Bender412; 21st November 2018 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Off Topic
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artcutech View Post
So dope!, I'm gonna get most there stuff on Black Friday now, was waiting for this to happen, knew it would, thanks for that update

I'm going to update the thread also in regards to my past posts, I bought an original motif again and it came in a couple of days ago, and I'm getting those same amazing results that I did before as far as the sampling, but what I noticed that really made me happy was just running the line through the motif input with the input gain all the way up and then out into the Apollo and recording the sample does wonders to the depth/saturation/quality, I can drop that recording into a simpler plug-in in Ableton and it sounds already so warm and full as opposed to thin and needing 3 saturation plug-ins if going straight from my mixer and recording the sample that way. Yesterday I ran a drum break through it then dropped it into simpler in slice mode and instant joy! no longer sounds thin and cheap dry, but immediately has a warmth that I cannot reproduce ITB, although I will still sprinkle saturation treatment to get that full cohesiveness in my mix
Can you elaborate on the Motif - what is it? I can’t find it on google.
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Nut

<mod delete>

the original Yamaha motif is the only one I've used and use to own and now own again, its a production workstation synthesizer(keyboard) by Yamaha with a killer onboard sampler, I bought one in excellent condition off reverb for $799 + $100 shipping and am really happy but also am really familiar with it so I didn't need to take anytime learning it which helps, but the $899 is worth it just running my samples through it, will be using it to sequence samples and some other stuff as well, it's kind of easy to time everything with Ableton's clock, it came with a DX expansion board and has some decent sounds, but mostly I just got it for the sound I get from the sampler or even just running through it before hitting my Apollo

Last edited by Bender412; 21st November 2018 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Off Topic
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

<mod delete>

the original Yamaha motif is the only one I've used and use to own and now own again, its a production workstation synthesizer(keyboard) by Yamaha with a killer onboard sampler, I bought one in excellent condition off reverb for $799 + $100 shipping and am really happy but also am really familiar with it so I didn't need to take anytime learning it which helps, but the $899 is worth it just running my samples through it, will be using it to sequence samples and some other stuff as well, it's kind of easy to time everything with Ableton's clock, it came with a DX expansion board and has some decent sounds, but mostly I just got it for the sound I get from the sampler or even just running through it before hitting my Apollo[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info

Last edited by Bender412; 21st November 2018 at 07:19 PM..
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Nut

Thank you too for the Soundtoys update, really excited about it!

BTW I'm sure there are hundreds of other keyboards, samplers or preamps(I've tried a couple with weak not even close results) that can do the same thing the motif does, but I can't speak on them but can only speak of the original motif not even the newer models though because I've personally worked with it, I ordered a korg Kronos for somebody as a Christmas present but will also get to use it and will test out the sampler and see if it holds up with the motif, I'm sure it will but you never know

long live WARMTH/DEPTH/FULLNESS/CLARITY(not the thin kind)/SATURATION, we shouldn't have to jump through hoops in order to achieve this sound
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Guru
Funny when talking to people I'll mention the plug ins I rely on and then tell them AND there's the Soundtoys bundle. Buy it, love it, you will never need anything other than those tools for what they do..... I could spend another 5 years with them and they just get deeper.....and deeper.......
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah the ST bundle is a dream. So is Goodhertz stuff (on sale at the moment).
Old 21st November 2018
Thread cleanup. Let's please keep it on-topic (opinions on the sound/performance of saturation plugins). Opinions on protection software/authorization processes don't belong here. Thanks.
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Guru

Since the mountaintop has been clearcut, all I can see is stumps so I have no idea what these contributors had to say. But I do feel that if a manufacturer's business model makes the purchase and use of their fabulous product untenable, it belongs in the discussion. I also feel grateful that I spend most of my time in other forums where the discussions are allowed to wander where they will, as long as everyone is behaving themselves and having a good time.
Old 21st November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Since the mountaintop has been clearcut, all I can see is stumps so I have no idea what these contributors had to say. But I do feel that if a manufacturer's business model makes the purchase and use of their fabulous product untenable, it belongs in the discussion. I also feel grateful that I spend most of my time in other forums where the discussions are allowed to wander where they will, as long as everyone is behaving themselves and having a good time.
Brent, I'm sure you've seen the countless number of times a thread was rendered virtually useless by "wandering" completely off topic to the point where you have to wade through tons of posts to find actual info about the actual topic. Especially when it comes to iLok.

If someone clicks on a thread entitled "which is the best saturation plugin?," then that's what they want to read about and/or discuss. Not pages and pages of iLok bickering.

To be fair, if you notice I didn't delete the user's comment about iLok in his initial mention of it (post #2 ), or the response to it in post #5 . After that, it serves no purpose to harp on that issue in this thread.

I just wanted to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand. If you want to discuss this issue further, please PM me rather than replying about it in this thread. Thanks.
Old 24th November 2018
Lives for gear

Slightly off-topic, but IMO the Akai S1000 has some of the nicest saturation via the onboard input preamps, as well as a wonderfully restrained digital crunch, and has probably the absolute best interpolation algorithm (for pitch shifting samples) of any sampler of that late 80s era. Also has a really lovely frequency response that is mostly super flat, albeit has a nice 4 or 5 db bump in the top end which makes things sparkle. Definitely one of my absolute favorite samplers for drums because of the aforesaid saturation, etc. I think I paid 200$ for mine, but also had to replace the front panel screen with an LED, which was another 100$ or so. Totally worth it. I own about 7 hardware samplers and I always go back to the S1000 because of its unique character and saturation. It's one of those units that just makes everything sound good. The OS is a little unusual at first, but is also incredibly simple once you grasp the basics of it.
Old 24th November 2018
Deleted ea69e11
'slightly'
Old 24th November 2018
Lives for gear

AA's new El Ray needs a mention here. The depth and weight it can add to a source (or entire track) is insane.
Old 24th November 2018
Gear Addict

saturn if I either need just a touch for specific frequencies or really extreme stuff, decapitator for a more 60-70s approach that works on the whole channel, devil-loc for beats or things that lack attitude, slate virtual tube collection for the final touch. goodhertz wowcontrol on everything in sight.
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

I actually just bought the Softube Tape plugin (on sale for $34), and I have to say it has some of the most realistic tape saturation I've ever heard. Not a very flexible plug, but well worth the money!
Old 3rd December 2018
Gear Nut

Klanghelm IVGI, SDRR, - Fabfliter Saturn, - Airwindows Density, ToTape5, IronOxide5, BussColors4, Channel5, 6 etc...

Airwindows are my favourites, on channels for initial tone-shaping and then busses for final massaging of the mix, but they all sound superb when pushed, - Density cranked on accented acid-lines is sublime. Also one can put Chris's plugs on every channel and buss with no fear of ear fatigue or sounding over-processed.

Klanghelm and Fabfilter for more extreme flavours and effects. Got the SoundToys bundle, the saturation plugs are probably the only ones in that bundle that never get used, but that's not to say I don't like them, I do, I just like to limit my choices.
Old 3rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive.Abuser View Post
...Klanghelm and Fabfilter for more extreme flavours and effects. Got the SoundToys bundle, the saturation plugs are probably the only ones in that bundle that never get used, but that's not to say I don't like them, I do, I just like to limit my choices.
I recently went with the Fabfilter FX bundle over SoundToys 5 believing they cover more ground; great creative fx, but also go-to mixing plugs. I considered adding just the Decapitator (and EchoBoy & Filterfreak) since, but really don't see the need at this time.
Old 4th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
AA's new El Ray needs a mention here. The depth and weight it can add to a source (or entire track) is insane.
As well as AA Taupe. Incredible!!
Old 4th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
As well as AA Taupe. Incredible!!
100% agreement from me - that has changed the way I mix.
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

IMO Nothing beats the versatility of a multi-pedal virtual rack to create from subtle to aggressive, through creative distortion.

So this is my answer:
NI Guitar Rig.

Don't bother the name. It says Guitar but I always find myself using it on Synths and sometimes on Drums.

Be careful though... You'll be spending countless hours browsing its million presets. They're all mind blowing.

Sure there's other similar Virtual Racks (TRacks, Wave's GTR, Amplitube, etc.). But somehow, even if you don't like NI for its mainstream appeal, they got it sooo right.

I stopped using everything else except OhmForce Ohmicide for quick yet brutal multi-band disto that's low on the CPU.
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Maniac

Only problem with GR is that it messes with your stereo imaging. Wide synths will narrow up with GR, even if you choose "stereo" on all the amps and cabs. But it is still a very useful tool for sound shaping, yeah.
Old 1st January 2019
Deleted ae681af
Use Nebula, or Get some pedals or buy an analog synth...for me and distortion nothing beats the sound of real authentic tone

If you don’t care about that, stick with what you have. A few plug-ins from each vendor Can help vary up your results.

Softube has a free one-knob one that’s pretty cool too.
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Shattered Glass Audio just released Phoenix
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

There are probably more great saturation plugs out there than any other kind, at this point. You can literally never have too many, IMO; as long as you have a good understanding of the various types of saturation (tape, tube, transformer, transistor, diode, etc...) and you seek out a diverse selection. Collect them all!
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
Add HG-2 and VSM-3 to the list.
These have been my go to ever since I got them a bit ago. HG-2 is a beauty.
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Don't remember if I mentioned, but The Fuse Audio Labs plugins have become some of my favorite newer finds. Also, the Overloud GEM plugs are really impressive. Their new Fairchild emulation is RIDICULOUS. Also, Empirical Labs Arouser, some of the misc. Klevgrand stuff, the Positive Grid stuff... there's just so much amazing S#17 out there to even mention.
Old 29th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
I've tried them all. Personally, in my opinion nothings beats nebula and their brand, but a huge cpu monster. I stopped using for more algo alternatives. From all i tested I'd say the best 2 that sound like real saturation and does something special to transients is waves factory spectre is hands down the best of what i tested. I had a client who always sends real harsh tracks in the upper ranges and i can eq it out, but splatting spectre on there just smooths all that.

2nd favorite is Mango. Very excellent as well, however you need to over sample it if working at 44k. Most saturators imo just distort the sound and makes things more muffled. I come from tape days and really do hate digital, so I am always after that elusive sound in the digital realm.

all of this is subjective of course.
Hi,

Now I´m a half year to late but I have no idea how to use Spectre to remove harshness. With Spectra you could only boost (saturation), boost and remove seem like opposites. What do you mean?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search