The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which preamp to get? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear

Which preamp to get?

I just got a rode Nt1 with a komplete audio 6 interface. But which preamp is best suited
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear

And I have an untreated room with a reflection filter and 3-700 budget
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear

what's wrong with the preamps in your interface? I would spend money treating your room in some way—building a makeshift mic booth. The sound of your room is going to have the most drastic effect on your sound. Different pres are going to give an extremely subtle change.
Old 15th September 2018
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
what's wrong with the preamps in your interface? I would spend money treating your room in some way—building a makeshift mic booth. The sound of your room is going to have the most drastic effect on your sound. Different pres are going to give an extremely subtle change.
I'd been thinking the same about dacs and preamps until I got an external cheap dac and recently heard gap73 vs neve shootout. Having said that, there's no sense to have a better detailed preamp to expose more of a ****ty room.
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear

Good advise...
Old 23rd September 2018
Gear Maniac

Neve 1073
Old 24th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
^^^^ This.
Old 28th September 2018
Totally agree that room "status" should be the first issue, but "What's wrong with the preamps in your interface?" really left me a bit speechless.
Mic preamp actually IS such essential as that. Even when you invest sum around 600, 800, 1300 or more bucks in the interface it includes chassis, connectors, fuses, boards, circuits of many kinds, leds, pots, amps, authentication, packaging, printing, software(s), updates plan, converters, preamps and way more... Are you that sure even a $2000 interface could sound quite the same to an half-priced preamp?

That being said.. API 512c and clones are the go-to for modern, cool, sharp, fresh sound. Great for trap music.
But an all-purpose I'd suggest is surely Focusrite Red 1 500. Fits for kinda everything, never felt lack of any kind while tracking singers/rappers in a good room.
Your choice!

Ahm, yeah, Neve 1073 style pres also rule, but it's *really* old school sound and it's not a "problem" only as what you're tracking, you're supposed to take care which microphone you're pairing with it too.
It really depends.
To me, NT-1 has not enough detail and "cargo", 1073 risks tomake it sound dull. However, rack versions have the eq section and maybe...
Heritage Audio HA73EQ is worth it, in case.
Old 28th September 2018
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Steadman View Post
Totally agree that room "status" should be the first issue, but "What's wrong with the preamps in your interface?" really left me a bit speechless.
Mic preamp actually IS such essential as that. Even when you invest sum around 600, 800, 1300 or more bucks in the interface it includes chassis, connectors, fuses, boards, circuits of many kinds, leds, pots, amps, authentication, packaging, printing, software(s), updates plan, converters, preamps and way more... Are you that sure even a $2000 interface could sound quite the same to an half-priced preamp?

That being said.. API 512c and clones are the go-to for modern, cool, sharp, fresh sound. Great for trap music.
But an all-purpose I'd suggest is surely Focusrite Red 1 500. Fits for kinda everything, never felt lack of any kind while tracking singers/rappers in a good room.
Your choice!

Ahm, yeah, Neve 1073 style pres also rule, but it's *really* old school sound and it's not a "problem" only as what you're tracking, you're supposed to take care which microphone you're pairing with it too.
It really depends.
To me, NT-1 has not enough detail and "cargo", 1073 risks tomake it sound dull. However, rack versions have the eq section and maybe...
Heritage Audio HA73EQ is worth it, in case.
But to get the taste as in to discern the quality one must have his ears and skills (equals experience), monitoring and taste intact. before that one better fix the recording\control room by miles.
Old 28th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
But to get the taste as in to discern the quality one must have his ears and skills (equals experience), monitoring and taste intact. before that one better fix the recording\control room by miles.
Sure, but then you may have finished your budget and it's totally useless having a home/project studio for recording and mixing vocals if room/s is/are perfect but you're tracking with Blue Yeti, e.g.
I suggest to divide the amount to every essentials. So a good pre, kind of vocal booth (NOT a piece of metal around the mic) and a bit treatment of the entire environment.
Cuz yeah: you would hear perfectly, but listeners will hear perfectly too your NT-1 comes through a Behringer.
Old 13th October 2018
cj7
Gear Head

Of course treatment is cruicial but to actually answer your question , isa one has always treated me well, can’t go wrong with a daking one or grace 101 all pretty clean pres, sound great on almost anything , I also have the wa12 but it definitely has color to it so it sounds different (not bad) but not my go to on vox
Old 13th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prynceryan97 View Post
I just got a rode Nt1 with a komplete audio 6 interface. But which preamp is best suited
Look at the Focusrite ISA-One or a used Focusrite ISA-Two, the Daking Mic Pre One, and the Universal Audio 610 Solo used.
Old 13th October 2018
Lives for gear
With $300-$700 I would first spend some money on big duvet/comforters or moving blankets (double up the moving blankets as they are kind of thin) and either hooks to hang them from the ceiling or some PVC pipe to make a frame you can take down, or some wood to build a wood frame, all depending on the living arrangement. Made a "U" or "V" to stand in facing OUT. That will have the biggest impact on the quality of your vocals. That will only set you back $50 - $150. With the rest, I think the GAP73 is probably one of the best budget preamps available. It is more than enough to get killer vocals in the right hands.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
With $300-$700 I would first spend some money on big duvet/comforters or moving blankets (double up the moving blankets as they are kind of thin) and either hooks to hang them from the ceiling or some PVC pipe to make a frame you can take down, or some wood to build a wood frame, all depending on the living arrangement. Made a "U" or "V" to stand in facing OUT. That will have the biggest impact on the quality of your vocals. That will only set you back $50 - $150. With the rest, I think the GAP73 is probably one of the best budget preamps available. It is more than enough to get killer vocals in the right hands.
Yep, totally agree here. I use a GIK Portable Isolation Booth, placed behind me, and I've had a GAP73 since it first came out, and it really is about the best pre in that price range.
Old 21st October 2018
Gear Maniac

I forgot to mention the GAP 73 pre but a few others mentioned it in their posts. I heard a comparison between the GAP 73 and a Neve Pre and the GAP sounded good.
Old 21st October 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'd go with either a GAP-73 (for a more vintage sound) or a Focusrite ISA (for a cleaner sound).
Old 23rd October 2018
Quote:
Yeah, I'd go with either a GAP-73 (for a more vintage sound) or a Focusrite ISA (for a cleaner sound).
Focusrite ISA One.. Yeah, an other go-to, totally agree!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search