The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lil Peep vocal mixing/effect
Old 9th September 2018
Here for the gear

Lil Peep vocal mixing/effect

YouTube
YouTube
I was wondering if you guys could identify how he mixes his vocals.
I think there's some obvious layering and maybe panning in there. But I can't really put it together.
Is it just multiple recorded doubles? How many would you estimate, and are they panned?
Or is it software generated? Made with a doubler or H3k perhaps.
Old 11th September 2018
Gear Nut

My goodness its reverb'd to hell and back!

Looks like a high pass on all vocals and fake dubs, what I mean by "fake" is he didn't record the dubs, they were duplicated artificially by a plugin most likely. And tons of reverb!!
Old 16th May 2019
Here for the gear

[mod delete]

...Lil Peep uses different plugins for different tracks but the general ones he uses the most, which you can find the most noticeable examples on one of his most popular song "Save That Sh*t".

He normally used Fruity Reverb, Fruity Compressor, Fruity Parametric EQ 2, Fruity Delay, Pitcher, and Fruity Chorus (which is the most important).

As of the panning you mentioned noticing, he would record his main vocals, set the volume accordingly, and record another 2 vocal tracks to the same verse/hook and have one layer panned to the left ear, and the other panned to the right with the volume on both of those layers set lower than the main vocal track.

For mastering, he would usually only have a Fruity Limiter to make it so the beat and the vocals were matching on the same db, as well as another Fruity Parametric EQ to take away the unwanted frequencies that both the beat, and the vocals have. Adjust the volume of the vocals and the beat to where it sounds the best, and boom, you have yourself a banger.

I'm happy I could help!

Last edited by Bender412; 14th July 2019 at 02:10 PM..
Old 14th July 2019
Here for the gear

Null dude that's the cringiest reply lol idk the dudes music well but from a Google search I can tell you that all of that is wrong because he didn't even use FL studio, he used GarageBand. also the dude didn't really mix his stuff that much he just kind of layered the **** out of it. Everything you talked about in theory could apply to all of his music and a bunch of other artists. you can use those techniques and get a similar sound but I don't think that that's how he achieved his sound.
Old 14th July 2019
Here for the gear

But yeah he definitely used a s*** ton of layering and reverb. I assume that someone along the way compressed it and EQ'd it a little bit.
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Head

probably mixed in a studio using probably a hardware phaser of some sort and bracasti all mixed with a chorus done either ITB or hardware.

I learned the hard way if the mixers on this forum knew, they wouldn't tell you and wouldn't be on this forum....

So no way to know for sure.... RIP peep btw.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search