The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can anyone identify which drum machine has these drum sounds?
Old 27th August 2018
Here for the gear

Can anyone identify which drum machine has these drum sounds?

I'm currently working on a project that is 90's Memphis Rap inspired and I am looking for these specific drum sounds. I know alot of Memphis producers used the Boss DR660 but these drums are different. I put 2 audio examples below. I'm trying to find out exactly which 90s drum machine has these hi-hat & snare sounds, since i've heard them multiple times.

Examples:

Drums in intro. This song is from 1994:
YouTube

Same drum sounds in this song. Starts at 1:01
YouTube

If anyone has any info i'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 27th August 2018
Gear Addict

TR-808 for both of them. If you’re usin software look for a detailed 808 kit and learn to play triplets.
Old 27th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00ppl View Post
TR-808 for both of them. If you’re usin software look for a detailed 808 kit and learn to play triplets.
Thanks for the reply. They're similar to TR-808s but these specific drums sound slightly different. You can really hear on the tone of the snare and open hi hats. Memphis producers back then were very low budget and often couldn't source original TR-808s so they would use cheap 90s drum machines with imitation 808 sounds, like the ones on the Boss Doctor Rhythm series.
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

Definitely 808s. The 808 is actually fairly versatile (and customizable) in that you can tune and shape a lot of the individual sounds. You might be overthinking things!
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaskForce1 View Post
Drums in intro. This song is from 1994:
Cool track.
Old 22nd May 2019
Here for the gear

Hey check into the output of the 808 sounds themselves. You can use different enveloping and differing filters, layers (rimshot, hi hat), etc, on the mixing and mastering to make the final drum sounds of an 808 more unique. Heck take it a step further, record that directly through tape for a true Memphis Rap quality drum track!
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Head

R8 probably imo
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search