The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The vocals on Nicki Minaj’s Queen album. Condenser Microphones
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

The vocals on Nicki Minaj’s Queen album.

After listening to Nicki Minaj’s new Queen album multiple times on iTunes I am still amazed at the vocal clarity on that album. With so many songs out now that have the vocals taking a back seat to other elements in songs, it is just great to hear that clarity that I remember hearing on classic albums. I am not saying the vocals on this album are Dre 2001 or on the same level as the classics but the clarity is there. With that being said I am curious to what vocal chain was used on this album and who handled most of the mixing duties. Also what do you guys think of the vocals on this album?

Edit: I found more information concerning the personnel involved on the album here:
Queen (Nicki Minaj album - Wikipedia)

Last edited by madehumble; 13th August 2018 at 12:57 AM..
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Nut
The issue may be that there are so many bad tracking “engineers”, mixes, and mixers these days. Good, experienced, professional tracking and mixing engineers still rule. Her vocals, and mixes overall, just sound professional.
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Head

Album is dope! I've always loved Nicki.
I would say with 80% confidence that the chain was a U87 or Sony Mic. Through a Neve 1073 into a CL1B. That's the chain EVERYONE uses out here for vocals. Especially hip-hop and rap. The mic might change to like a U67 or something but chain usually stays the same.

It was prob recorded in a great room, which I tend to feel is more important than the gear half the time.

Other than that a solid dose of compression on the mix to make it stand out in your face.
Old 13th August 2018
i mean when jaycen joshua and serban ghenea are on the mix...

its pretty much expected.

jaycen is the best "pop" mixer in the game if you ask me. the music he mixes is never my cup of tea but goddamn if i dont recognize he chops with knobs
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedbymatty View Post
I would say with 80% confidence that the chain was a U87 or Sony Mic. Through a Neve 1073 into a CL1B. That's the chain EVERYONE uses out here for vocals. Especially hip-hop and rap. The mic might change to like a U67 or something but chain usually stays the same.

It was prob recorded in a great room, which I tend to feel is more important than the gear half the time.

Other than that a solid dose of compression on the mix to make it stand out in your face.
The vocal chains that you mention is what I was thinking it may have been. I also agree that it is a dope album also.
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedbymatty View Post

Been about 5 years but I’ve seen her using a 251 mic. Don’t remember the pre but it wasn’t a Neve. Comp was an 1176. The most important aspect of her great vocals is her and her mic technique.

Not sure how many modern hip hop artists are still using a U87. U87 was rarely paired with a Neve back then.

Doesn’t really matter though. Gear is no silver bullet. There are some butchers out her tracking thru Sony/neve/cl1b and it sounds nasty.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear
This is the difference between tracking/mixing pop vs hip-hop. There's just an entirely different standard. Regardless of what the song sounds like, all of her tracking and mixing is done from a pop standpoint. Even the more gritty stuff, if you listen, you hear the pop engineering.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
This is the difference between tracking/mixing pop vs hip-hop. There's just an entirely different standard. Regardless of what the song sounds like, all of her tracking and mixing is done from a pop standpoint. Even the more gritty stuff, if you listen, you hear the pop engineering.
Hi Chris, could you elaborate a bit? What do you consider a pop standpoint and what a hiphop standpoint?
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut View Post
Been about 5 years but I’ve seen her using a 251 mic. Don’t remember the pre but it wasn’t a Neve. Comp was an 1176. The most important aspect of her great vocals is her and her mic technique.

Not sure how many modern hip hop artists are still using a U87. U87 was rarely paired with a Neve back then.

Doesn’t really matter though. Gear is no silver bullet. There are some butchers out her tracking thru Sony/neve/cl1b and it sounds nasty.
I also saw a documentary about 5 years ago about her and I think she may have been on a Neumann M150. Didn’t see the rest of the chain though.
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble View Post
I also saw a documentary about 5 years ago about her and I think she may have been on a Neumann M150. Didn’t see the rest of the chain though.
Probably not in a million year...
An m150 is neumann modern take on the m50, and those mic are omni only and mainly use on scoring stage.
Nicki chain is m149, neve 1073 going to a cl1b. That what Ariel Chobaz picked since the first album, and what Aubrey still use to this day with her.
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael-ange View Post
Probably not in a million year...
An m150 is neumann modern take on the m50, and those mic are omni only and mainly use on scoring stage.
Nicki chain is m149, neve 1073 going to a cl1b. That what Ariel Chobaz picked since the first album, and what Aubrey still use to this day with her.
Thanks for the correction on the mic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search