The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Poll: What DAW do you use? DAW Software
View Poll Results: What DAW do you use? Hip Hop edition.
Logic
67 Votes - 22.04%
Ableton
43 Votes - 14.14%
Cubase
44 Votes - 14.47%
Studio One
45 Votes - 14.80%
FL Studio
13 Votes - 4.28%
Reaper
47 Votes - 15.46%
Reason
14 Votes - 4.61%
ProTools
70 Votes - 23.03%
Bitwig
6 Votes - 1.97%
GarageBand
4 Votes - 1.32%
Cakewalk
11 Votes - 3.62%
Digital Performer
15 Votes - 4.93%
Other
32 Votes - 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear

I sort of hope more people give Studio One v4 a try; especially any sample-based artists, as the new chord track/chord detection functionality is super crazy. You can throw any samples at it, have it detect the chords/key signature, then extract that to a "chord track" and then have any other audio or midi "follow" the extracted chord track. It's actually a super powerful tool. I've been using it lately simply to discern chord progressions from various tracks (easy way to learn how to play something).
Old 3rd September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post
interesting results so far. did not expect so many ProTools users at all. Reaper and Studio One popularity are a suprise for me as well.
i would have have bet on Ableton being most popular, followed by Logic but so far I was dead wrong.
Um, What?
Pro Tools has been the industry standard forever. I didn't expect so little users.

I'm upgrading to Logic from Garageband and I used to use Pro Tools but the company has been spiraling down(which may explain the low amount of users in the poll). Pro Tools: $600+Upgrades, Logic: $200 FREE upgrades!
Old 10th September 2018
Here for the gear

I occasionally use Renoise buy mostly switched over to Bigwig. My roots are in demoscene too.
Old 10th September 2018
Gear Nut

When did FL stop being the butt of every joke? I stepped away from DAW discussions and came back this year. Suddenly FL is "cool" and "accepted". It used to be the opposite and a red flag that you were an amateur who didn't wanna invest in your craft.
Old 11th September 2018
Pro tools. Its what i started with, learned on, and found it to be the easiest to use. I have tried most other daw, but have always been drawn to pro tools. Glad its the industry standard since Its my main daw
Old 11th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePlastic View Post
When did FL stop being the butt of every joke? I stepped away from DAW discussions and came back this year. Suddenly FL is "cool" and "accepted". It used to be the opposite and a red flag that you were an amateur who didn't wanna invest in your craft.
Image line stepped up their game thats why. A lot of fl studio beats have improved these days. Fl is by far the best and easiest daw for producers to do all kinds of production related things. From special fx to audio edting, time stretching, plugins its turned into the best platform for music production. Some of the best productuon tools are only available within fl. And they are indespensible. Like the strum tool, wow, crazy good for realistic instrument playing. The arp tool, how you can make it lock to scale to draw in notes / chords. Gross beat (the #1 used tool for trap beats). Their piano editor is the best. Easy tools to make snare rolls and hihat rolls. Keyboard shortcuts. You can make stuff sound super dope super fast if your good at using fl. Its now pc / mac compatible too. Supports using both 32 bit AND 64 bit vst simultaniously. Pretty stable too. Built in scaling for 4k displays. Crazy good sampler, some of the functions in that you will only find in fl, your bass drums will KNOCK. Audio editing. Time stretching. Randomizer. ability to pitch your entire song up or down in 1 click. The list goes on. Not to mention free updates for life after initial purchase. Crazy built in instruments and effects. Not to mention smooth performance! I have studied Fl studio and have much more respect for it these days. And I have never been a big fan of fl until recent (was mostly indifferent)
Old 11th September 2018
Gear Head

Studio One looks promising but it has strange „snap to grid /quantize” mechanic (which basically doesn’t work) and that’s a deal breaker for me.

EDIT: No, it’s just me, I’m dumb.
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
Image line stepped up their game thats why. A lot of fl studio beats have improved these days. Fl is by far the best and easiest daw for producers to do all kinds of production related things. From special fx to audio edting, time stretching, plugins its turned into the best platform for music production. Some of the best productuon tools are only available within fl. And they are indespensible. Like the strum tool, wow, crazy good for realistic instrument playing. The arp tool, how you can make it lock to scale to draw in notes / chords. Gross beat (the #1 used tool for trap beats). Their piano editor is the best. Easy tools to make snare rolls and hihat rolls. Keyboard shortcuts. You can make stuff sound super dope super fast if your good at using fl. Its now pc / mac compatible too. Supports using both 32 bit AND 64 bit vst simultaniously. Pretty stable too. Built in scaling for 4k displays. Crazy good sampler, some of the functions in that you will only find in fl, your bass drums will KNOCK. Audio editing. Time stretching. Randomizer. ability to pitch your entire song up or down in 1 click. The list goes on. Not to mention free updates for life after initial purchase. Crazy built in instruments and effects. Not to mention smooth performance! I have studied Fl studio and have much more respect for it these days. And I have never been a big fan of fl until recent (was mostly indifferent)
Aww I'm gonna miss the old days when we knew an amateur by how he used fruity loops on a crappy Windows machine. lol

I was indifferent reading your reply until you mentioned free updates. This is the main reason I'm jumping to Logic. It's a big deal.

Gross Beat is something I've looked at and am curious about.

I'm wondering though, WHY will my bass drums knock exactly?
Old 14th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePlastic View Post
Aww I'm gonna miss the old days when we knew an amateur by how he used fruity loops on a crappy Windows machine. lol

I was indifferent reading your reply until you mentioned free updates. This is the main reason I'm jumping to Logic. It's a big deal.

Gross Beat is something I've looked at and am curious about.

I'm wondering though, WHY will my bass drums knock exactly?
You should check fl out its mac compatible now. Bass drums will knock because of the unique sampler features. Built in clipper, normalizer, bass boost, envelope control, attack, sample start, length editing, the ability to loop only 1 cycle of your bass drum and have it play indefinitely giving you MASSIVE sub. Easy tuning and pitch features. Sample stretching. Etc. Its crazy. I havent seen this many features this easy to use built in standard to any other daw. The easiest ones to use are the boost / soft clip. Easy 808 knock!
Old 16th September 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
I sort of hope more people give Studio One v4 a try; especially any sample-based artists, as the new chord track/chord detection functionality is super crazy. You can throw any samples at it, have it detect the chords/key signature, then extract that to a "chord track" and then have any other audio or midi "follow" the extracted chord track. It's actually a super powerful tool. I've been using it lately simply to discern chord progressions from various tracks (easy way to learn how to play something).
That sounds amazing! I need to dig in to Presonus Studio One some more then.

I have been using nothing but hardware for about 10 years. I just built a computer this year, and have been exploring all the different DAW options.

So far, Akai MPC Software 2.2 is what clicks the most for me. I really like the way it handles MIDI and being able to control it with my MPC Studio hardware.

But I have a copy of the latest Reaper, Presonus Studio One and Abelton to test for a while. I know they are a lot more powerful, but also more complicated to learn.
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiusz View Post
Studio One looks promising but it has strange „snap to grid /quantize” mechanic (which basically doesn’t work) and that’s a deal breaker for me.
it works totally fine; you just have to realize there are TWO separate quantize sections/buttons—one on the top for the arrangements, and another on the bottom when you're editing (piano roll, etc.). It's specifically set up that way so you can snap things differently in the arrange window vs the editor.
Old 17th September 2018
Presonus StudioOne Professional - for everything
Old 17th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
it works totally fine; you just have to realize there are TWO separate quantize sections/buttons—one on the top for the arrangements, and another on the bottom when you're editing (piano roll, etc.). It's specifically set up that way so you can snap things differently in the arrange window vs the editor.
Thanks, figured it out. I have a feel there are more options like that in this DAW which you must find in two separate places.
Old 18th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, figured it out. I have a feel there are more options like that in this DAW which you must find in two separate places.
Not really that I can think of.. Though one thing a lot of people miss is the "Record Panel", which has a number of useful features, including MPC-style note repeat and note erase. It's in the View menu on top, or Shift + Alt + R, and docks nicely at the bottom of the screen.
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Not really that I can think of.. Though one thing a lot of people miss is the "Record Panel", which has a number of useful features, including MPC-style note repeat and note erase. It's in the View menu on top, or Shift + Alt + R, and docks nicely at the bottom of the screen.
For other example - look at bend tools, how many buttons are there for almost same thing. I know it's how it just works in Studio One, but I'm just used to operate simpler DAW (MPC Software). I'm just a newcomer to S1 and every program needs some time to adjust, but... Maybe it's just because I'm trying to mimic some basic MPC functions such as 16 levels, overdub (the way I'm used to), have ability to put more sounds on the same pad of Impact XT etc.
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear
All those obscure DAWs in the list and no Pyramix?
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Sometimes using Ardour now, in Ubuntu 18.04.
Because I prefer to stay in Linux whenever possible, and at this point Ardour is Perfectly O-Kay for a lot of things, and boots whip fast compared to my Windows 10.
Old 26th September 2018
Here for the gear

I like FL for ease of access and how easy it is to sequence music in it, but for mixing and mastering I actually enjoy using Reaper a lot (even though I'm not really familiar with Reaper's automation system, I'm learning.)

Although I have had plans to learn another DAW, and Cubase looks pretty good as well.
Old 26th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
For other example - look at bend tools, how many buttons are there for almost same thing. I know it's how it just works in Studio One, but I'm just used to operate simpler DAW (MPC Software). I'm just a newcomer to S1 and every program needs some time to adjust, but... Maybe it's just because I'm trying to mimic some basic MPC functions such as 16 levels, overdub (the way I'm used to), have ability to put more sounds on the same pad of Impact XT etc.
Not sure I follow you—you mean the Audio Bend 'settings' to slice/timestretch? The Bend Tool itself doesn't really have any different buttons.
Old 26th September 2018
Gear Head

You have that ribbon like thing in Studio One for some options with hidden menus.
Old 26th September 2018
Gear Maniac

I’m a long time Pro Tools and Logic Pro user. Three years ago I switched to Studio One exclusively.

An associate recommended I try Ableton Live. Last week I downloaded the Ableton Live 10 Suite trial. I made myself spend a day learning it. Liked it so much I went out and bought Push 2 a week later.

Ableton’s work flow is fast and just seems more focused for music creation. I write and complete more songs with Ableton Live 10 than any other DAW.

I’m presently still mixing my projects in Studio One 4. Mostly because Ableton does not support Softubes Console One like Studio One 4. Either way, Studio One 4 and Ableton Live 10 are a good combination.

Bottom line is all these DAW’s are great at this point. Its just finding one or two that fulfill your needs.
Old 1st October 2018
Here for the gear
I wish Harrison Mixbus, and or 32C were on the list.
I have a feeling it's popularity is increasing rapidly, but without being on the list it's hard to say.
It gets quite a bit better each upgrade, and is cross platform, PC, Mac, or Linux.
Very useful for jumping from one studio to another.
Very fast for mixing with a nice analog quality.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Maniac

I've been using Pro Tools for many years now. I was using Logic with Pro Tools for a while but Pro Tools is my main choice. I chose Pro Tools s because I learned it in school. Plus I've heard it's the industry standard. It's easy to use and sounds great.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

I think the true benefit of Pro-Tools has little to do with the DAW itself, and everything to do with the integrated hardware. If you have like $10-15,000 you can run a Pro-Tools HDX system with nearly 100 I/O
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Pro Tools and Logic are starting to pull away. Let's keep this poll going.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm really surprised that Studio One and Reaper are exactly equally behind pro-tools and Logic. Interesting! It seems like the majority of people are using Macs, perhaps?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search