The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai mpc ppq Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Akai mpc ppq

Been lurking in hear for years. Always lots of good info. So thanks for all of your posts guys.

So anyways, I’ve always been a big user of quantize, but I have been listening to a lot of live drums lately. An IMO I have always felt like my music lacked something. So I started messing around with no quantize.

At first I kinda thought I was hearing things. Like I’ll play something, and when I’m playing it, I hit it right where I want it, but on play back I swear it’s Fn’ nudged.

So I got to thinking, HMMM maybe that’s what the hole PPQ thing is. Like I said I have always used quantize so I never bothered to learn what PPQ was.

Anyways so my question, MPC4000 960 PPQ will that get me what I want, in that I won’t be able to tell. We’re as I can totally tell the nudge at 96 ppq.

Thanks

BTW, I’d really apretiaite answers based on experiance rather than options. As I would be buying a 4000 just based on the PPQ. I already have a z4, so .....

But so feel like if I can do what I want, it will be worth it in the end.

With that said, if 960 ppq I will still notice a nudge. I can’t really see how, but If so. Maybe I need to go a different wrought.

Idk
That’s kinda why I’m asking.

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
I agree 96 ppq doesn't have the correct feel when playing live. You should try doubling the tempo. That way you get 192 ppq.

This works great on my ASR & MPC2k. My Zoom Sampletrak has 24 ppq I believe so doubling the tempo is a must. What machine are you currently using?

Also if you do this you should set the time sig to 8/4, that way 1 bar equals 1 bar. takes a bit to get used to, like beat 3 is now 5. also the metronome will run twice as fast, which I love, seems to make me play more accurate.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Do you use headphones while playing? If not, try it. The sound of the metronome or music you try to play along with need some time to travel from the speaker to your ear so the less distance the better you really hit the pad where you want it.

peace
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad Scientist View Post
I agree 96 ppq doesn't have the correct feel when playing live. You should try doubling the tempo. That way you get 192 ppq.

This works great on my ASR & MPC2k. My Zoom Sampletrak has 24 ppq I believe so doubling the tempo is a must. What machine are you currently using?

Also if you do this you should set the time sig to 8/4, that way 1 bar equals 1 bar. takes a bit to get used to, like beat 3 is now 5. also the metronome will run twice as fast, which I love, seems to make me play more accurate.
Yea I was reading about doubling the tempo, and gave it try. It’s kinda a huge learning curve. WAY to fast on the metronome. It scrambles my brain. Lol I’m just starting to mess with no quantize, so I like to watch the bars, etc. IDK doubling the tempo isn’t really for me. **** was hella’ fast at 163.

I’m useing the MPC 1000, but I have a ASR-X and I read I that PPQ is 384, but man, that damn thing is so buggy.

Im contemplating maybe just useing DP, on a PPC laptop. Just for midi sequencing, then sync to PT to track and mix.

I always liked DP for sequencing, I wish they wouldn’t have dropped HD support. **** doesn’t work with the Omni.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 View Post
Do you use headphones while playing? If not, try it. The sound of the metronome or music you try to play along with need some time to travel from the speaker to your ear so the less distance the better you really hit the pad where you want it.

peace
No I haven’t but I will try it. The metronome going that fast kinda ****s me up. But it won’t hurt to try right?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFizle View Post
No I haven’t but I will try it. The metronome going that fast kinda ****s me up. But it won’t hurt to try right?

Hi LoFizzle drop the metronome from 120 to 90 and play to that rhythm.

You can speed up your sequence later or train on 95 bpm or higher as your finger drumming improves.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00ppl View Post
Hi LoFizzle drop the metronome from 120 to 90 and play to that rhythm.

You can speed up your sequence later or train on 95 bpm or higher as your finger drumming improves.
I can rock 120 pretty easy, but that 160 is outa this world.

It’s not even the 160 really, it’s the trying to play something that’s 83 bpm with a metronome that’s going 160. Kinda just ****s up my rhythm.

Any one that can pull it off, hats to you.

Gonna just have to score a 4000 plus I wouldn’t mind the 4 midi outs either.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
YouTube

si-fuu waxdat8800 discusses ppq in this video.
its for the mv8800 but still the same logic applies.

seems to me alotta ppl prefer the older mpcs just for the simplified grid,
wich is what alotta users conflate with the "boom bap" sound, as it gives a similar feel to a lot of classic hiphop records from that time.

if you find the metronome too fast (when doubleing the tempo) just step in some hi hats to keep the rythm and turn the metronome off.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakapow View Post
YouTube

si-fuu waxdat8800 discusses ppq in this video.
its for the mv8800 but still the same logic applies.

seems to me alotta ppl prefer the older mpcs just for the simplified grid,
wich is what alotta users conflate with the "boom bap" sound, as it gives a similar feel to a lot of classic hiphop records from that time.

if you find the metronome too fast (when doubleing the tempo) just step in some hi hats to keep the rythm and turn the metronome off.
Yea Iwas talking to a friend last night. About the 60mk2 and it looks like it’s either 384 or 192. I have the valixia in mine. I might sample off the 1000 or just sequence with the 60. The 1000 would be cool to stack layer drums ext and play back into the 60.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
i always wanted to try the 60.
my mate had one but sadly he passed away. rip pani
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakapow View Post
i always wanted to try the 60.
my mate had one but sadly he passed away. rip pani
The 60 is pretty sweet, I haven’t played with it to much. A little hear and there. My add kicks in when I start to sample with it. I built mine from a bunch of broken units. I Actually have 2 a Mk1 and Mk2 I think the two needs some power part and a lcd. Have tried to put it back together. I was gonna do the hole custom thing on the Mk1. An graffiti it up. Anyways buy buying broken units I think paid around 300 maybe 350 and traded a Mc-505 I paid like a hundred for. An ended up with two. But I still need a few parts for the second one.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

MPC60 has 96 ppq. That makes 384 ticks per bar.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
MPC60 has 96 ppq. That makes 384 ticks per bar.
Ok, yea I kinda thought that. Like the 384 was something else. Becouse the specs do say 96 ppq. I didn’t put 2/2 together until you put mentioned the math. So with the valixia the 192 is actually dropping the ppq to 48? I’m assuming?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search