The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are the best plugins for Boom Bap and Lo-Fi Hip Hop production? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 29th July 2018
Here for the gear

What are the best plugins for Boom Bap and Lo-Fi Hip Hop production?

Trap is boring, and no one is really listening to that lame genre anymore except old people trying to be young. Boom Bap is what's hot among high school kids and Lo-Fi is taking over college campuses everywhere. So what are the best plugins to produce these growingly popular sounds?

Old 29th July 2018
Gear Maniac

what DAW are you using now?
Old 29th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00ppl View Post
what DAW are you using now?
I recently switched to the MPC Live from Maschine Studio because of it's superior features and workflow...
Old 29th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi. I use the Mpc studio.

My chain is Mpc 3000 effect on master buss.
Second effect is resampler on the master buss. The trick is leave the wet level on 5% or less.
The more sounds you are playing with during your creation it will have a unique texture. Hope that helps.
Old 30th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00ppl View Post
Hi. I use the Mpc studio.

My chain is Mpc 3000 effect on master buss.
Second effect is resampler on the master buss. The trick is leave the wet level on 5% or less.
The more sounds you are playing with during your creation it will have a unique texture. Hope that helps.
What plugins do you use?
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

In DAW world, check out the recently released Akai s950 emulation, rx950.
Quite nice for crunch, filtering, and bandwidth restriction.
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

I love this kind of music make something similar myselfs....actually I started making it after I got a the Pioneer Toraiz SP16...like with the filter little past noon pretty much sounds like these tracks almost anything you stick in it hehe. Also it has a great lofi effect with additional filter which is pretty much what i use the effect slots for.

I attached something I did today actually for a collab Im working on...kind of rough cut of ideas. as usual i put random synth noodling on top while i was recording out that shouldnt be there hehe. Toraiz to Alesis microlimiter(love it!)

bass sound needs some work too...
Attached Files

Lofi 1.mp3 (4.26 MB, 3542 views)

Old 31st July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instrmntl View Post
What plugins do you use?

Decimort 2.
Old 1st August 2018
Gear Head

Check out this guy's channel, he mess a lot with lo-fi stuff:
YouTube
Old 2nd August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctothej123 View Post
I love this kind of music make something similar myselfs....actually I started making it after I got a the Pioneer Toraiz SP16...like with the filter little past noon pretty much sounds like these tracks almost anything you stick in it hehe. Also it has a great lofi effect with additional filter which is pretty much what i use the effect slots for.

I attached something I did today actually for a collab Im working on...kind of rough cut of ideas. as usual i put random synth noodling on top while i was recording out that shouldnt be there hehe. Toraiz to Alesis microlimiter(love it!)

bass sound needs some work too...
I would like to echo that the SP-16 is great for lofi type stuff. It wont get you sounding like an s-950/sp1200 combo, but it can be dark and lo fi, and the lofi plugin can add some aliasing as well. What the SP-16 lacks in depth it makes up for in immediacy.
Old 3rd August 2018
Gear Addict

Fake Vinyl crackles
Pitch everything down.
Filter everything
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Instead of emulating that sound with a bunch of effects plugins, focus more on the production and mixing techniques of the era.

Things were much simpler back then. You had to use your ears and hands for everything.

Production-wise, it wasn't so much about the processing as it was the source of the samples and drums. Vinyl samples and breaks are the key. There naturally wasn't an extended high-end on your samples. Things are instantly warmer.

I've used many classic samplers, the MPC-3000, 2000, ASR-10, etc. The differences are definitely there, but the sample sources had a much larger effect on the overall sound. I use Logic and the MPC Live now. My stuff sounds just as "vintage" as it always has. I never bit-crush or anything like that. I just use the proper ingredients from the start.

Mix-wise, beats from that era were tracked to tape or multi-track recorders, then the console, then back to tape.

I slap a Studer A800 > Waves SSL G Channel on every track in Logic and limit myself to using only those comps and EQs. There's an SSL G Compressor > ATR-102 tape plugin on the master bus. That's a basic DAW emulation of how records were mixed in the late 90s, early 2000s.

The mixes aren't super-wide, they're punchy and mid-heavy. That's the sound of that era. Keep it simple.
Old 5th August 2018
Gear Nut

Warp depth on the free izotope vinyl plugin is exactly what you're looking for. Put a rhodes through it and you have instant lo-fi hiphop
Old 5th August 2018
Gear Head
Try these 3 plugins:

D16 Decimort
TAL Bitcrusher
Izotope Vinyl
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Goodhertz Vulf Compressor - it's based on the SP-303's Vinyl Sim compression, so perfect for lofi, and still good for boom bap as well of course.

XLN Audio RC-20 - Great for adding the 'sampled from vinyl' effect, and all in all a handy versatile multi-fx tool.

iZotope Trash 2 - A very different multi-fx tool that is great for lofi and dirtying things up. The normal presets are all pretty extreme, but the 'classic textures' pack is full of useful starting points for 90's/lofi hip hop processing.

RX950 - A basic emulation of the convertors and filter from an Akai S950. Instant weight, grit and a nice sounding filter. No brainer buy as it's cheap, but wait for the new version that is out soon, as they 'broke' the great sound of the first release.
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

Avid's lofi is phenomenal as well. I also like Sweetone"s filters. Kind of limited but it sounds great.
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
RX950 - A basic emulation of the convertors and filter from an Akai S950. Instant weight, grit and a nice sounding filter. No brainer buy as it's cheap, but wait for the new version that is out soon, as they 'broke' the great sound of the first release.
Came out today.
Old 14th August 2018
Sample from vinyl. Dig through crates. Find gems. Learn turntablism.

Octatrack is great for that if you like hardware and can read a manual.

Plugins: d16 plugins, cakewalk vi with all the EMU expansions, Korg legacy collection, novation bass station plug if you like 36 chambers type stuff.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
Goodhertz Vulf Compressor - it's based on the SP-303's Vinyl Sim compression, so perfect for lofi, and still good for boom bap as well of course.

XLN Audio RC-20 - Great for adding the 'sampled from vinyl' effect, and all in all a handy versatile multi-fx tool.

iZotope Trash 2 - A very different multi-fx tool that is great for lofi and dirtying things up. The normal presets are all pretty extreme, but the 'classic textures' pack is full of useful starting points for 90's/lofi hip hop processing.

These are all great, haven't tried trash 2 however.

d16 Decimort 2 and Goodhertz wow control are also very good.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Nut
The free Soundhack bitcrusher is super basic but it sounds great (better than many of the paid ones that show up on threads like this to my ears) and the CPU hit and latency are low enough to use it in real time at low buffer while composing.

Another good bitcrusher that doesn’t typically come up on these threads is the relatively new Airwindows bitcrusher. I generally prefer the sound of the Soundhack one but the Airwindows one is great too and also has a light CPU/latency footprint.

Both of them use about 1/10th of the CPU as the new TAL bitcrusher.

There are several other Airwindows plugins that are great for warmifying things in the direction of boom bap and lo-fi. But be warned - finding the ones that work for you in among them is a bit of a rabbit hole.
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
Came out today.
Saw that, sweet
Old 28th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Trap is boring, and no one is really listening to that lame genre anymore except old people trying to be young. Boom Bap is what's hot among high school kids and Lo-Fi is taking over college campuses everywhere. So what are the best plugins to produce these growingly popular sounds?

Maschine, Ableton, Reason. Ableton simpler is great with it's cool filters.

Any filtering plugins, Saturators, Tape Sims, lo fi, tape echo units.

A good record or old school music collection, (or an inspiring sample collection)

Grain plugins like granulator are dope too.
Old 3rd September 2018
Gear Head

Besides the ones mentioned already, you should check out:

Klevgrand - DAW LP & DAW Cassette (Both really affordable & awesome!)
Plug and Mix - Lo-FI & DEGRADIATOR & VINYLIZER
Airwindows - DeRez, Bitglitter & Iron Oxide (free!)
Sounstoys - Devil-Loc Deluxe, Decapitator
Klanghelm - SDRR2
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

Honestly, I don't think it matters at all what you use. It's more a matter of having a fairly deep comprehension of sampling as a form of musical 'collage'; how and what to properly sample, and certainly how to combine disparate elements into something coherent and novel. No specific plug-ins are going to provide that.

The best advice is just to practice sampling, manipulating samples, and combining (i.e., layering) them.
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

low pass filter and noise samples.
mpc3000
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Learn turntablism.
The only useful advice ever given on Gearslutz.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

nice music.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I have had some excellent results running rap vocals through my Soundtoys Decapitator. I tend to use a lot of the Klanghelm IVGI on my mixes and I am not scared to murder clippers.

It also helps to think in 8 or 12 bit muhahahahaha!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

I'd get Native Instruments Kontakt and Battery for playing back samples. Geist also has some cool drum tones. I'd get E-Labs or Equipped music sample CDs which sound close to the audio examples you posted to run in battery and kontakt.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I've been making boom bap for almost 20 years. If I were starting out today, I'd buy:

1. Serato Sample
2. Ultimate Breaks and Beats Vol 1-25
3. download mp3 vinyl rips from youtube and or blogs

You don't need any special plugins, the magic is in the sample selection and arrangement techniques.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search