The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite Go-to Distressor Settings for Vocals? Dynamics Plugins
Old 17th May 2018
Here for the gear

Favorite Go-to Distressor Settings for Vocals?

Interested in what others are doing,

tried Opto mode as another engineer at the studio I work at swears by it, but definitely not for me. I usually go pretty fast attack (2 1/2) an release (3 1/2-4) with usually the second harmonic button engaged and 3:1 ratio. Usually aiming for 0-3 db GR. If its a singer I like pulling the attack an release back to more moderate settings with the same 0-3db GR.
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

0-3 db of reduction on a distressor?
Nah. Different strokes for different folks.
I like 2:1, slowish attack, fastish release, 5-12 db of gr. Depends if it's the only compressor being used.
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenSilenceEnt View Post
Interested in what others are doing,

tried Opto mode as another engineer at the studio I work at swears by it, but definitely not for me. I usually go pretty fast attack (2 1/2) an release (3 1/2-4) with usually the second harmonic button engaged and 3:1 ratio. Usually aiming for 0-3 db GR. If its a singer I like pulling the attack an release back to more moderate settings with the same 0-3db GR.
I would not worry about what other songs have it set to as your song will need it set differently.

It all depends on the song. Each song will need different settings on the distressor, if its deemed needed for that song.
sometimes ill have a very fast attack and sometimes it will be a slow attack and sometimes it will be a medium attack. Same with gain reduction and the other settings.

Each song will need different settings, there is no one setting fits all. Otherwise it would be built with no settings on it.

CJ
Old 20th June 2018
V.t
Here for the gear
input gain untouched.
attack: 3ms
release: 150ms
gain reduction: 6dB-ish.
now the incoming audio is properly edited and hits the compressor at -0.1 to -0.0dB.
finally, this is for the Arousor.
shoot me not, please.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

as noted above, -3db gain reduction on a distressor is a little joke among some engineers - read the manual and it gives you a proper idea about the meters.

one of the reasons that the distressor is great is the 4 knobs - twist - DON'T go for settings.........;-)

that said - starting with an OUTPUT of 4 - was always a good place
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search