The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Snare in headphones Drum Pad Controllers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Snare in headphones

Hi

I know there are already threads regarding a similar problem but I think it’s a bit different then the other topics.
If not I’ll crawl back and I shut the *** up.

Here’s the thing:
I mix on Mackie monitors – can’t really tell which ones, but I am really happy about them.
I had a pause producing beats for around 2-3 years. I just started again and I am struggling with some of my mixes. I mix in Cubase and it sounds okay on my monitors.
As soon as finished the mix I am desperately looking forward to listen to it on my bose quietcomfort headphones – I take a little pause and listen to it using my smartphone connected to my headphones.
And surprise surprise it sounds terrible. But not the common issue that there is no punch in bass nor kick. The snare is sounding way too loud and really really bad. In my mix I noticed the snare is a little bit too loud but not as loud as on my headphones.

If I use the headphones on my mixer / soundcard of my computer it’s not as bad. It’s more or less what I am expecting. So I thought it might be the smartphone causing the issue (EQ settings or anything else). I used the small Samsung headphones to check how it sounds. Surprisingly as expected (as in the mix on the monitors). I used the UE Boom 2 speakers connected to my smartphone. Result : as expected. Snare is loud but not as loud as on the bose headphones.

I had the same thing with another mix. But with my Kick and Bass. Sounded way too loud.
Other mixes are sounding as expected.

My guess is, there is a frequency which is too loud but I cannot figure out which one. But definitely just a guess.

Do you guys have any idea ?

Thanks in advance
Old 1 week ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Room and speaker placement issues.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Personally, I would never trust noise-cancelling headphones to check a mix. I rely on speakers in a good room (may not be possible for you), and I'll check on earbuds just to make sure there are no surprises. But I would NEVER EVER trust ANYTHING I hear on noise-cancelling headphones.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

hmmmmmm....
Thanks for the hints!
Quote:
Room and speaker placement issues.
To be honest this can be an issue. Definetly not the perfect room but speaker should not be a big problem. To be honest something I have ignored but definitely makes sense. I will have the possibilty to listen to it in a professional studio in a few days. So I will be wiser afterwards.

Quote:
I would NEVER EVER trust ANYTHING I hear on noise-cancelling headphones.
Any reason for that? Shouldn't it sound good on those too? I am happy it sounds ok on the monitors, speakers and ear plugs...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
Personally, I would never trust noise-cancelling headphones to check a mix. I rely on speakers in a good room (may not be possible for you), and I'll check on earbuds just to make sure there are no surprises. But I would NEVER EVER trust ANYTHING I hear on noise-cancelling headphones.
^^^This. Use decent studio headphones if you have to. No Beats or Bose etc.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Ok guys. Thanks for all your answers. Make sense. Placement / Room is not possible but the studio headphones are. So I'll go for that!

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I have a great room, so I typically only check headphones with cheap little earbuds. But if I didn't have a great pro room, I would get myself a really good pair of open backed headphones like Grados or something and I would be willing to spend a pretty penny on them.
Old 1 week ago
DAH
Lives for gear

I cannot recommend sennheiser hd 580/600/650 highly enough.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A lot of the time these days I work in a small, untreated room—I have a number of different headphones, but I mainly use and rely upon the Sennheiser HD-800s. However, these (and really any headphones) have to be used with some kind of correction software—despite them being fairly high-end headphones, they do have certain serious frequency issues that need to be corrected in order to be genuinely 'neutral' / flat. I personally use Sonarworks Reference, as I've found it to be by far the best headphone correction system available, and it's highly affordable. Regardless of what headphones you choose (assuming you pick up a decent pair), you can use the Sonarworks software to correct the frequency response of nearly any high-end headphone. This is definitely (in my experience) the best way to work if you have an untreated room. There's somewhat of a learning curve involved to be able to get to know your particular headphones (just like with monitors), in order to help your mixes translate to other systems, but in general, I believe it can be a far better option than working with monitors in an untreated room.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
I cannot recommend sennheiser hd 580/600/650 highly enough.
Even the cheapish 598's are very good as well. Even better when corrected with the Sonarworks software, though even stock they're quite neutral and have incredible stereo imaging. I often use these as my secondary/backup headphones.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey guys

Thanks a lot for all your replies. Finally I found out what the issue is. I was listening my mixes in a professional studio. All good. Snares as expected. Only my bose headphones does this weird snares. I then got home and rechecked. One mix everything ok one mix snare is weird. Why????

I checked in cubase. Set the volume lower. No improvement. Back to my workflow: I chop and arrange my beats in NI Maschine mk2. Then drag and drop to cubase and finally mix it. I have mono snares in maschine. In Cubase I have suddenly stereo snares. But it looks good (left and right). So I just try to mix the stereo in cubase and mix it. Result:I completely lost my snare... I copied the left channel to right for the snare. All good. Snare sounds good on all devices finally. I am confused what maschine is doing to me... But thats the solution....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search