The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland MV 8800 vs. Akai MPC X ...? Drum Machines & Samplers
View Poll Results: Roland MV 8800 vs. Akai Mpc X
Roland MV 8800
23 Votes - 60.53%
Akai Mpc X
15 Votes - 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

After having another go on the MPC X today on headphones i feel like its really like software ITB.Maybe feels a little punchier/compressed ect coming out the interface.As far as the MC909 goes.......did not gel with it at all.Filters sounded harsh to me.Much prefer the Yammy RS7000.Altho the synth engine is much more advanced on the 909.
Old 20th May 2018
Here for the gear

My Choice: Roland MV 8800
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post
Anyway, if you're either patient or American, you should be able to find a 4K for $600 easily.
It depends on the options. I had a hard time finding one with the ADAT card. The cheaper units are often beaten to s**t as well.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

I agree with djflexmk2, the MV is not documented to read DVD ROM but it can. You can pack a load of samples on a DVD more than a CD could. It can only read [email protected] wav files but not write.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Scary thing is, if Roland rereleased the MV8800 with better and up to date technology, smaller and lighter, it will blow away the MPC X.
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

I wonder if I should make a blog post about how to do this, if anyone cares:

My 'hidden SD reader' for the MV8800. Pops right into the CD rom port. (Yes I know I cracked the damn plastic taking the front plate off an old CD rom drive).

But more interestingly.

I did say I was working on this, didn't I?

Actually, ALL 8 'multi' outputs from the MV8800 *DO* work, Roland just never used 7/8 on their MV8-OP1 card.

I now have 10 outputs from my MV8800, plus I managed to get MIDI IN 2 and MIDI OUT 3 working.

Now I just need to make some noise measurements ...

I had to get 5 PCBs produced as they wouldn't do just 1. I guess I'd consider selling some
Old 26th May 2018
Here for the gear
Is the MPC X the BEST over EVERYTHING?

Is the MPC X the BEST over EVERYTHING?

~ "What ever you have, Learn it" !!! - "Master your Equipment" -- Roland MV-8000 & Roland MV-8800, NI MASCHINE STUDIO, NI MASCHINE MK3, AKAI MPC, AKAI MPC X and so on !!!

Last edited by djflexmk2; 26th May 2018 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Fix Spellings
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

I Don’t know about the mpc 4000 sounding grittier than the mv!!! I have an mv8000, mv8800, mpc4000, mpc3000, and mpc renaissance!! The mpc4000 sounds quite a bit cleaner than the mv8800/8000. The machines are all in different studios but I’ve swapped them between the studios quite a bit. The mv sounds a bit bigger and punchier than the mpc’s. The mpc is cleaner but either of them work for anything. I don’t get into the “which sounds better” war. They’re tools. I just need to arrange music and make great songs. Haven’t heard a listener pick out the sound of a drum machine yet!! I doubt they ever will!! Songs haven’t been ruined either by having an asr sound instead of an mv8000 sound or whatever!! See which you like more, buy that, and create music!! Or don’t create music, waste tons of money, and keep asking people which one sounds like “fill in the blank”!
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Chalk one up for the MV
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

If an MV dropped through my roof right now and did not kill me.....i would be quite happy to put it through its paces again.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
If an MV dropped through my roof right now and did not kill me.....i would be quite happy to put it through its paces again.
funny enough, the MV is far lighter than the MPC4K. Most likely the 4K would cause instant death
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

If you already have the computer, why not just get something like Ableton and a push 2?
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

Computers are just emulators and imitators. Its cool to pretend and all but I prefer the real thing.
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Considering it can be had for a quarter of the price I would pick up an MV off eBay.
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s12512 View Post
See which you like more, buy that, and create music!! Or don’t create music, waste tons of money, and keep asking people which one sounds like “fill in the blank”!

this could be said for so many things around here.
Old 25th June 2018
Here for the gear

!
I want!!! How much!!!
Old 27th June 2018
Here for the gear

Was considering getting an MPC4k, just to have around the studio..
is ebay still the go to place?
forgive my ignorance
Old 30th June 2018
Here for the gear

Who did you get to make the boards for the clone?
Old 25th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

The 4K with USB on the front was really ahead of its time - does the 2500 or the 5k even have a USB port on the front?? You can just jam in a flash drive, or a USB->SD drive, or a portable HDD ... I find it doesn't always work right (sometimes I have to restart the unit before it recognizes the drive, is there a better fix to this?), but it sure is an impressive feature.
In the Disk menu of the 4k, there is a "Scan" button for it to rescan the USB bus. That should make it visible. My 4k I haven't had the issue around having to reboot to see drives.

-- Dave
Old 25th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that. Considering the state they released the X in, and the fact that firmware 2.1 update release notes says 'improvements to MIDI I/O including reducing jitter', I think they were more concerned with making a 'flashy cool unit' than making an actual production center. Unless someone like innerclock measures the MIDI timing and finds that it's great, I'm going to assume it's pretty poor (going from their track record, they've only seemed to get 3 of the MPCs right).

Since I found some actual numbers:

From Innerclock Systems

MPC 60 internal sync MIDI TX - Max. Jitter between 16ths: 1 sample (0.02ms)
MPC 3000 internal sync MIDI TX - Max. Jitter between 16ths: 1 sample (0.02ms)
MPC 4000 internal sync MIDI TX - Max. Jitter between 16ths: 3 samples (0.06ms)
MPC 2500 internal sync MIDI TX - Max. Jitter between 16ths: 44 samples (0.92ms)

From the MPC X 2.1 release notes

Improvements to MIDI I/O including reduced clock 'jitter' (from +/-11ms to +/- 5ms) and reduced potential for drift when sending MIDI Clock, MTC, and MIDI note out

+/- 5ms?

So, it's up to 83.3 times worse than the 4K?

Inner Clock Systems says "Max. Jitter between 16ths". Akai's Release Notes does not indicate what musical unit they are measuring Jitter. Is it is beats? Is it bars? This may not be apple to apple. Would be interesting to know what Live/X's jitter is between 16ths.

-- Dave
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search