The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Loudness wars?
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Head

Loudness wars?

As a producer, do I really need to make my beats loudness similar to mainstream tracks?

Personally, I don't because I think my mix sounds wayyyy better the way I'm doing it now. You can hear a hard hitting kick. Dynamics are nice, etc.

IDK... I think my mixes sound better than mainstream records... and a lot of other music. BUT it's definitely not nearly as loud, which kinda sucks I guess. If it was in the same ball park I wouldn't mind. But if you play my beat, for example, on a TV after streaming DJ Esco and Future's Kolorblind, please believe you will need to turn it up about 12 volume notches. (At least on my TV)

Is this ok?
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear
You need to be in the same general ballpark. The problem is that you don't know what an artist is going to play your beat on. Often it's just their phone with earbuds, or little computer speakers and there's only so much amplification some of those things can provide. You run the risk that they turn the volume up to the max and it's STILL not loud enough to really evaluate. As well, many of these cheap devices can provide more amplification than the speakers can handle and if you have peaks hitting close to zero but the average volume is 6dB lower than most everything else, then by the time they turn your beat up loud enough, those peaks are beyond what the speaker (and sometimes the amplifier) can handle and those peaks will distort heavily.

I'm not saying be the loudest thing out there. You lose a lot of audio quality doing that. I'm just saying, be in the ballpark. 2dB quieter than other mainstream stuff is something that really won't be noticed by the typical listener. There's more than 2-3dB variance among commercial releases and I don't even know audio engineers who drive around in their cares constantly adjusting the volume knob to compensate.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Head

On small devices my stuff sounds GREAT. I mix purposely to make em sound great on the iPhone and such. Bc like you said I’m thinking majority of these artists play back on the iPhone. But if you hook it up to a TV or something, you going to hear how quiet it really is.

Or maybe my Tv speakers are just really ass and can’t play a dynamic track for nothing.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Technically, that should be left to a mastering engineer, in which case, I wouldn't worry about it.

But I'm definitely old-school in the sense that I prefer records that aren't limited and smashed into bricks.

I love subwoofers and bass-heavy records, and you really have to have some dynamic range for there to be a lot of bass—the more **** gets limited and compressed, the more your bass frequencies get attenuated while the higher frequencies get accentuated.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
Technically, that should be left to a mastering engineer, in which case, I wouldn't worry about it.
I think sending beats to a mastering engineer would be absolute overkill and cost prohibitive.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

I didn't mean having tracks mastered before they're shopped out or ready for release. In that case, yeah, overkill.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Nut

Hi,

my recommendation is to always send 2 versions of your beat:
a pre master version is essential to get a good mix job done

+

a maximised version of the beat that you can use in the preview in order to be level competitive.

Don't push the loud version, there's no need, just apply a maximizer/limiter to raise the rms to a decent level.

People get fooled easily when the preview is louder but at the end a squashed beat is almost useless to get a decent final mix beat + vocal.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixingChamp View Post
As a producer, do I really need to make my beats loudness similar to mainstream tracks?

Personally, I don't because I think my mix sounds wayyyy better the way I'm doing it now. You can hear a hard hitting kick. Dynamics are nice, etc.

IDK... I think my mixes sound better than mainstream records... and a lot of other music. BUT it's definitely not nearly as loud, which kinda sucks I guess. If it was in the same ball park I wouldn't mind. But if you play my beat, for example, on a TV after streaming DJ Esco and Future's Kolorblind, please believe you will need to turn it up about 12 volume notches. (At least on my TV)

Is this ok?
Old 2nd May 2018
DAH
Lives for gear

A good mix can stand clipping to modern levels of -9 db rms.
Old 4th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixingChamp View Post

Is this ok?
Compare loudness to other producers like the top charts on beatstarz. Try to match that. I notice my favorite producers online dont have the loudest sounding beats. They leave a little room so the drums can punch. Its good because when the song gets mixed, usually over that same 2 track, the whole thing will get squahed even more.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search